• Replies 658
  • Likes 4

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if it's been said, but I am not reading all the 14 pages. The main reason Nintendo will eventually lose out in the mobile gaming marketplace is not because of the cost on the hardware, the 3DS price point was fine, its the cost of the software. I don't care if you think that the depth of play in games is deeper on a dedicated handheld console, it's not so much anymore, mobile gaming on tablets and phones is changing. Games on like Ghost Trick, Lego Batman 2 and Bastion are already available on your phone Need For Speed Most Wanted, Joe Danger, Colin McCrae Rally, Sonic Racing, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, AfterBurner, Ravensword: Shadowlands, Galaxy on Fire 2, Toy Story: Smash It!, Tiny Thief and lots and lots and lots more are on mobiles and they are damn big and fun games. Even Gameloft have finally got it right with Asphalt 8. There are literally hundreds of big games on iOS and Android that are better than most games on the DS/3DS. I'm not to saying Nintendo 3DS games are poor, I still play my 3DS games, its just when you compete in a marketplace you have to react when faces with stiff competition, and dropping the hardware spec and price is not a good start when people will still think twice about it because of the price of the games.

Take me for example, I have kids, two kids, why would I spend £30 x 2 on the same game for both of them to play when I could give them literally hundreds of paid iOS and Android titles on their tablet or phone for the same money. And I only have to buy it once and they both can play it, and so can I at no extra cost. If I paid even £3 for a game on iOS and Android and they got bored after a few weeks with it, I wouldn't mind but Pay £30 each for a game and I feel differently. That's why last Christmas we got them Android Tablets for the same cost as the DS, but had a greatly cheaper running cost with regards to apps and games.

Then there is the eShop prices, why would you buy a game like Cut the rope on the 3DS for £££ when its pence on most phones and the game is better and gets updated more. Nintendo need to drop the prices of the mobile console games, I don't mean to a couple of dollars or a couple of pounds but £10 - 15 is a good staring price and would encourage more people to think about the consoles, heck even creating a silver or special range of older 3DS titles at a reduced price would be a good start. Don't even get me started on the price of eShop digital download prices of full retail titles.

Nintendo need to get their head out of the sand and see what is happening in the world and realise, if they are note careful they will get left behind, and that is a day I would hate to see happen.

I like to say, "There is no point buying a car if you can't afford to put petrol in it."

You don't have to agree, its an opinion, but I still think there are a lot of valid points in it.

Reactions: VMM

WrestlinFan

Currently jobbing to Kevin Nash
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This won't sell well for two reasons:

1) average consumer is too stupid to grasp another device like this in an already confusing market full of "DS" machines. child will help with this by claiming they need a 3ds, not a 2ds. labels too will confuse people as it will say 3DS but see no 2ds games per say.

2)Kids are whiny and self entitled brats this generation. They will piss off any parent who is aware the 2ds is a value based alternative that will play 3ds games to the point you will hear "You either get this or nothing" followed by more temper tantrums and a lost sale.

and before someone chimes in with the exceptions being the majority... I've worked retail during both the wiiu and 3ds/xl introductions. No matter how well you get your point across, people are not going to understand this system and those who do won't get it for various reasons regarding their image in society.

Kids being brats is exclusive to the new generation?

Heard it here first folks.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I'll buy one.

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why doesn't any VW touareg owner get butthurt when they announced VW GO! , and people get butthurt over this?
Don't like it, then dont buy it. Won't kill you.

Also, the grip is in the center so it will probably feel a lot lighter, awesome considering the target audience.

D

Deleted-236924

I had a feeling Nintendo would do this after making the Wii Mini.
A few months later it would be Wii Mini U or Wii U Mini.

That's what it reminded me of, too.
Except not Canada-only, but still.

You think it's terrible looking, but in actuality, it's a money ploy. Nintendo will drag in masses of little children. With tablets all the rage now, this 2DS is perfect to market to the younger crowds.

It's still terrible-looking.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
why make a shit product when you already have a cheap version(regular 3DS)??
anyway I don't think the upper screen is touch capable, one thing is the screen itself and another is the digitalizer, that is the one that does the touch function.

Did you read? Is just ONE screen

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why make a shit product when you already have a cheap version(regular 3DS)??

My daughter is 10 years old and has a 3DS XL, but if she were still in the 5-7 year old range, I'd be buying her the 2DS.

But with this thing on the market, I'll agree with you that it's time for Nintendo to drop the regular 3DS.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
They should of named it 3DSLite or 3DS JR. or 3DS Kids, something that still lets you know it's a 3DS but striped down for kids. The 2DS title is the stupidest thing ever that is so confusing whoever thought of that should be fired. People are gonna think Nintendo has 3 different handhelds out now and start asking where the 2DS games are. FACE PALM

Reactions: RedCoreZero

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know if posted BUT!

it is not two screens JUST ONE BIG SCREEN!

:arrow:source

I heard that and they said something that both "screens" are touch screens because of this....what does that mean?

Seems like that would actually be confusing....I know some games I have tried to use touch on the top screen but the game won't support top touch screen functions.....maybe if you use the top it works like the bottom but then you wouldn't be seeing what you are touching so it would be pointless.

Or maybe only the bottom works for touch and they are just talking that the top is technically touch as well even if software doesn't support it.

Ah Ok, the top is covered by plastic so it doesn't register touch I think is what they mean. But does this mean possibly the touch screen is capacitive? Normally the touchscreen is separate from the display part of the screen, they are implying it is built in to it on this model.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I heard that and they said something that both "screens" are touch screens because of this....what does that mean?

Seems like that would actually be confusing....I know some games I have tried to use touch on the top screen but the game won't support top touch screen functions.....maybe if you use the top it works like the bottom but then you wouldn't be seeing what you are touching so it would be pointless.

Or maybe only the bottom works for touch and they are just talking that the top is technically touch as well even if software doesn't support it.

Im pretty sure its just one big touch screen but the top screen has plastic over it or glass so you can't actually touch it, It's a cheap way for Nintendo to save money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: anybody here?