Nintendo has worked on a platform-agnostic and adaptive controller, according to Reggie Fils-Aimé

fils aime nintendo.JPG

In a recent interview with Inverse, Nintendo of America's former president, Reggie Fils-Aimé shared details about a project from the house of Mario that we have yet to see materialise: a platform-agnostic, adaptive controller. In the interview, Fils-Aimé said that the project was being worked on back in 2019 as he was preparing his retirement and was part of a larger, industry-wide initiative. The latter considered the Xbox Adaptive Controller, announced in 2018, as “as a jumping-off point to create something that would be platform-agnostic and adaptable by any consumer”.

“Imagine an adaptive controller that you could play with your latest Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo platform. That's what we were working on three years ago,” Nintendo of America's former president detailed in the interview.

However, Fils-Aimé isn't sure if this effort is still being worked on or not. “But also, my hope is that controller — and the ability for that controller to connect with all of the various systems — is launched and shared with consumers as quickly as possible,” he added. “I do believe the best solution is an industry solution that can work for all of the dedicated gaming platforms and for PC, and can truly be tailored to the player depending on their physical capabilities and what they can do.”

You can read the full interview with Reggie Fils-Aimé in the source link below where he shares his hopes and vision for the future of the gaming industry.

:arrow: SOURCE

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Former ceo of Nintendo: y'know... Not to start a rumor, but when i was leaving Nintendo, they were busy making a controller you might be able to use on other platforms as well... But i don't know what happened to that idea, so...

Me: *emulates wii, wiiu, 3ds and switch on Steam deck as well as older ps systems*
Cool story, bro. Is anyone supposed to care?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Last I checked, most games already come with higher difficulty modes. Try again. This time perhaps you could stay on topic.

Perhaps you missed the nuanced suggestion that "accessibility" is a subjective thing, as opposed to an objective thing, considering that not all handicapped people are handicapped in the same way.

"Normal mode" is yesterday's "Easy mode". There is no "normal mode" that fits everyone, and the idea of accessibly to games inevitably finding its way into games hand-holding gamers is a real "phenomenon" .

Last edited by tabzer,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
real gamers would play dark souls with nothing but a ddr mat and a ps move controller. using a normal controller is too easy and people playing games easy is an unforgivable sin

Reactions: tabzer

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Perhaps you missed the nuanced suggestion that "accessibility" is a subjective thing, as opposed to an objective thing, considering that not all handicapped people are handicapped in the same way.

"Normal mode" is yesterday's "Easy mode". There is no "normal mode" that fits everyone, and the idea of accessibly to games inevitably finding its way into games hand-holding gamers is a real "phenomenon" .

I missed nothing. You know full well what is being referred to when accessible gaming is mentioned. You are also more than aware of what an accessible controller refers to and what people would need to use one, and who wouldn't. Stop the pretend ignorance. It certainly doesn't help your opinion.

""Normal mode" is yesterday's "Easy mode". There is no "normal mode" that fits everyone, and the idea of accessibly to games inevitably finding its way into games hand-holding gamers is a real "phenomenon".
said the one rambling about subjectivity. I can't even take you seriously, and I don't.

It's obvious in my short time here that you're nothing but a troll, most people dislike you, and the place would be better off without ya.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nothing really to get excited over.

Its simple, simply let the controller connect via Bluetooth to any device rather than have it locked to only that console when trying to pair it to other devices.

Pretty much like majority of other third party controllers are able to connect to anything. Some consoles might reject third party controllers from pairing to the console whereas some are able to pair.

For nintendo to now come up saying we have been working since 2019 on technology that already exists, just shows how far behind they really are.
While that is true, maybe they had plans for something with better integration.
For example,
-have an option for digital as well as analog shoulder triggers, Like, having them switch "modes".
-Automatically show up correct button prompts for each console, I don't know if 3rd party controllers can do that yet.

Remapping already works really well on 3rd party controllers,
so I don't know what other new features a controller like that should bring.
Though I am sure Nintendo would market remapping as something new and groundbreaking.

Also nowadays a controller to rule them all would also need touchpads for mouse input,
since SteamDeck is now part of the gaming space too.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the part I don't get: what does it matter if someone plays a game easier? What do you care? Why should it bother you if someone wants a slightly easier time playing a video game? And why is that at all a valid excuse to deny people who genuinely need them accessibility options?

No, it has to be hard for everyone, because I play it hard so everyone else should have to as well. Wouldn't want anyone else having an easier time at anything, god forbid

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the part I don't get: what does it matter if someone plays a game easier? What do you care? Why should it bother you if someone wants a slightly easier time playing a video game? And why is that at all a valid excuse to deny people who genuinely need them accessibility options?

No, it has to be hard for everyone, because I play it hard so everyone else should have to as well. Wouldn't want anyone else having an easier time at anything, god forbid
feel the same, though I always play on normal no matter what game. something I mentioned is not using faqs unless I've beaten the game, which I've stuck to since 2018, but I don't feel upset that others use walkthroughs or faqs. I mean games are meant to be fun not nail biting frustrating.

Reactions: CeeDee

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, as I told my friend @Hayato213 , I figured consulting an faq to find what I missed might make me a better player, because I'll be more observant. I do like to do everything in a game, but since I don't game much, it takes me months to go through one game. I've been at dragon quest xi since April.

Reactions: Hayato213

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you that dense to not understand accessible gaming isn't about making games easier? You literally just made a comment insinuating that handicapped/disabled persons should reach for the high shelf and use a standard controller because using an adaptive one would make the game too easy. Having seen several of your other posts here, you're not the brightest bulb in the bunch. More like the dimmest.
Well you see, the secret is tabzer is a very uninteresting troll. They just kinda post Babylon Bee type shit because they're an uncreative person imo.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All games should have accessibility options and easy modes, because it's cool. Cheating in single player games for the sake of accessibility is also based.
1661117038067.png

I've figured it out I've caught the culprit

In all seriousness though, games are meant to be fun, if letting people make it easy will let people have more fun, hell yeah bro options are cool as hell. There's no rational reason to call for those options to be limited just because you don't like it when people have an easier time than you.

Honestly, thinking about it in relation to thread topic, how much easier could an accessibility controller possibly make a game? It's basically the same buttons, just in different spots to make it easier for some people to use them. Should people have to only play with the OEM controller or something? What about PC gamers with keyboard and mouse? Would that make a game too easy?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 323629

In all seriousness though, games are meant to be fun, if letting people make it easy will let people have more fun, hell yeah bro options are cool as hell. There's no rational reason to call for those options to be limited just because you don't like it when people have an easier time than you.

Honestly, thinking about it in relation to thread topic, how much easier could an accessibility controller possibly make a game? It's basically the same buttons, just in different spots to make it easier for some people to use them. Should people have to only play with the OEM controller or something? What about PC gamers with keyboard and mouse? Would that make a game too easy?
well, he'll get no help from me, being an ass to me once for him defending someone who was an idiot, and I'd like to think I'm at least reasonably knowledgeable about several systems. that is the point of temp, right?

Reactions: CeeDee

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, he'll get no help from me, being an ass to me once for him defending someone who was an idiot, and I'd like to think I'm at least reasonably knowledgeable about several systems. that is the point of temp, right?
don't feed the trolls :teach:

• Love
Reactions: godreborn

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

It's not a problem. It just isn't "objectively" better. It's "subjectively" better. Another one is that tutorials are great, but not always best when they break immersion for people who don't prefer them.

Ranking mode and tournaments that encourage competition are probably always going to have difficulty determining what's baseline "fair". It's going to be subjective to what accessibility means in the minds of people.

Here's another. Elden Ring is considered the most accessible Souls game, which is great for me cause I suck at Souls. Some HC players don't like it. While you might be different, I'm not offended by their existence or their pride, and I don't think that previous Dark Souls games should be made easier more accessible so that I can enjoy playing them.

What about PC gamers with keyboard and mouse? Would that make a game too easy?

Some games, mainly FPS games, where cross-console play is made available--there is the trend of people who play on console being outgunned by people who have a KB and mouse.

There's no rational reason to call for those options to be limited just because you don't like it

Not liking it is a rational reason. That's like saying having an opinion or preference is irrational. Classic example is that some people elect to get a console vs a desktop because they prefer a more standardized, fewer options, approach. Some people like their games like that too.

Tagging @RedColoredStars. I'm sorry if I offended you if you are handicapped. That's not the intention. I'm not sorry if you are just here to rage post.

You know full well what is being referred to when accessible gaming is mentioned.

No, I don't. I'm not sure anyone does. That's kind of my point. It's an idea with no clear or perfect implementation, hence the new ideas and conflicts.

You are also more than aware of what an accessible controller refers to and what people would need to use one, and who wouldn't.

My first comment wasn't about controllers. You can use any controller you want. If you want to get an AI enhanced controller that plays games for you, you don't need my permission. Some people play games for the cutscenes and it doesn't concern me at all. If you trying bringing it to a competition, which relies on standardization, people may be understandably bothered by it.

said the one rambling about subjectivity. I can't even take you seriously, and I don't.

What does this even mean? I can only read that you are upset, are taking me quite seriously, and expressing clear disinterest in understanding my point of view.

Last edited by tabzer,

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 323629

Yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. A game's purpose is to be played. Making more people able to play it is objectively the best outcome. The only objections to this are from places of insecurity, or a disregard for accessibility from people who are disabled at best, or a mask-off loathing for them at worst.

Reactions: CeeDee and nxwing

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. A game's purpose is to be played. Making more people able to play it is objectively the best outcome. The only objections to this are from places of insecurity, or a disregard for accessibility from people who are disabled at best, or a mask-off loathing for them at worst.

Even after refining your position it's still objectional for other reasons.

One may object if they have a sense of pride or revel in exclusivity, or even more simply, a preference. Not all games need, or should, to be made for all people.

Do you think Leisure Suit Larry should have a "Dora the Explorer" mode so kids can play it?

Do you think Mario Teaches Typing should be playable with a mouse or a drum?

You might like some of those ideas and you are welcome for the thought exercise.

Subjectivity can be great. It's kind of the reason why more than one game exists.

Last edited by tabzer,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"I subjectively deny this objective thing so it isn't objective!!"
Okay I guess I typed this on a flat earth then. Epistemic anti-realists btfo!!

Your opinion is invalid because there can only be one (and mine is better).

Can a table be flat, or does it follow the gravitational curve of the planet your ego.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: ZeroFX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k