Hacking Nintendo Monitoring what your Wii does...

AvEnGeR-X

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My friend is too scared to use homebrew on his Wii because he says that nintendo a monitoring what his Wii does.
He says its some sort of service that allows nintendo to watch what your Wii does (dont ask me, I dont know what hes talking about)

Is it okay to run homebrew on his Wii?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AvEnGeR-X said:
My friend is too scared to use homebrew on his Wii because he says that nintendo a monitoring what his Wii does.
He says its some sort of service that allows nintendo to watch what your Wii does (dont ask me, I dont know what hes talking about)

Is it okay to run homebrew on his Wii?

He's paranoid.

The Nintendo Channel is currently the only way Nintendo collects anonymous play data, but does not do so unless you opt into it.

AvEnGeR-X

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
'anonymous' play data. Thats cool then
wink.gif
. So long as nintendo can't trace the signal and "10-4, hes using homebrew, ARREST HIM!" lol. even i laughed at that.

Anyway, thanks man.

jamesquity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and microsoft is monitoring what we pirate...nah i don't think so. Most of the time things are illegal unless it ask you or tell you somewhere. But you never know there are some weird things.
wacko.gif
I doubt nintendo would do that, microsoft ban modders from live. Homebrews are legal, but the chips aren't, but then again can nintendo tell if its a chip or if its run through another exploit? I donno, im confusing my self but i do not think nintendo would start arresting people by collecting data from the wii.

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Believe it or not I can't remember where but it's one of those "I agree" things it says that Nintendo may monitor message board activity so the messages that you send to another wii can be legally read by Nintendo.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jamesquity said:
Yes, and microsoft is monitoring what we pirate...nah i don't think so. Most of the time things are illegal unless it ask you or tell you somewhere. But you never know there are some weird things.
wacko.gif
I doubt nintendo would do that, microsoft ban modders from live. Homebrews are legal, but the chips aren't, but then again can nintendo tell if its a chip or if its run through another exploit? I donno, im confusing my self but i do not think nintendo would start arresting people by collecting data from the wii.

The most they'd do is ban your console ID from the shop channel and Wii24Connect... so you wouldn't be able to recieve updates unless you buy a game with it on there.

markongc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
AvEnGeR-X said:
wink.gif
. So long as nintendo can't trace the signal and "10-4, hes using homebrew, ARREST HIM!" lol. even i laughed at that.

Anyway, thanks man.

yes it's true, but further they say that if your account nintendo is linked to your wiishop, than they know who you are
wink.gif

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markongc said:
AvEnGeR-X said:
wink.gif

Anyway, thanks man.

yes it's true, but further they say that if your account nintendo is linked to your wiishop, than they know who you are
wink.gif

Provided you give them accurate information.....

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warm Woolly Sheep said:
I have Nintendo Channel installed, and have opted in to letting Nintendo monitor my activity.

I regularly play homebrew, .wad VC games and foreign WiiWare. Come get me Nintendo! BRING IT

I expect they'll flip the switch eventually... then the wifi will prove useless.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think that they will, because if you format your Wii, they can't tell that you used unofficial software on your Wii. If they ban your Wii ID, then you just format your Wii and you can use it again.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You are all 100% paranoid nutjobs.

Read the EULA on the Nintendo Channel. If they use it identify my console they'd be breaking contract.

Nintendo may fight back against homebrew and dlc pirates, but the nintendo channel will have absolutely nothing to do with it.

perimbean

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
elfsander said:
Xeronage said:
No? Your Wii ID is locked to the console itself =P
Nope it isn't, the only thing that's locked, is the Mac-address.

Apart from the MAC adress, i suppose on the nand memory of the wii console (512 MB), there contains the serial number (secret key) of the wii console where the present of it allows the running of games or going online. I think Nintendo will not filp the switch so soon (as to ban the console).

My 2 cents

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
i was wondering the same... can nintendo ban you for the things they receive from your playing list?

as for formating your wii... some save games you cannot copy to your sd card, so you will loose the data from those games, which is a bit of a bummer...

had same problem with my gc cards some time ago, i backed up averything i could, but some time ago i needed to format it to get it too work again, so i lost the savegames i couldn't backup...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O Dude.. Lets not get into that. plz :mellow: