Nintendo officially confirms Switch successor console, announces Nintendo Direct for next month

nitennzomg.png

While rumors had been floating about rampantly as to the future plans of Nintendo, the President of the company, Shuntaro Furukawa, made a brief statement confirming that Nintendo is indeed working on a successor to the Nintendo Switch. Capping off Nintendo's quarterly financial report was an announcement that the unveiling of Nintendo's follow-up to the Switch would happen before the end of this fiscal year (March 2025). In the same message, Furukawa also announced that a Nintendo Direct is on the way sometime in June--though it will focus solely on latter-half 2024 Nintendo Switch titles, and will not feature any information regarding the successor system.

Current rumor reports state that a "Nintendo Switch 2" system was scheduled to be released around holiday 2024, though the hardware was delayed internally, to make sure that the upcoming system had as many quality launch titles as possible. Bloomberg has reported that Nintendo has been supplied with a notable amount of 8-inch Foxconn LCD screens, implying that the new Nintendo hardware may be very similar to the Nintendo Switch.

pumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
nintendo hasnt released a "powerful" console since 2006, so i dont know why people are still whining about it and expecting something else. if you want POWERRRRR go buy a steam deck or literally any other console/pc, they can emulate switch just fine. its obvious this is gonna be a gimmick fest... and frankly i prefer it that way. i dont think i would like nintendo releasing the usual ultra-realistic game that plays like a telltale release with freedom of movement, they're the funny ones.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's rumoured to be named "Attach".

I believe it will have 2 screens, one of the screen can be detach and attach to the main unit. Nintendo has a patent for it:
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2023203801

It has to be designed this way so when it's docked, you can detached one of the screen and use it as a second screen while playing on TV. It works like the Wii U tablet. However, unlike the Wii U - the second screen can be attach to the main unit when using in portable mode.

sagey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys were getting nintendo land hd
Post automatically merged:

It's rumoured to be named "Attach".

I believe it will have 2 screens, one of the screen can be detach and attach to the main unit. Nintendo has a patent for it:
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2023203801

It has to be designed this way so when it's docked, you can detached one of the screen and use it as a second screen while playing on TV. It works like the Wii U tablet. However, unlike the Wii U - the second screen can be attach to the main unit when using in portable mode.
they should just make every console from here on out the 3ds so we can get our beautiful streetpass back
edit: it looks like a 2ds xl

Last edited by sagey,

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is a perfect example of everything I hate about GBATemp...

We're finally getting new hardware. We're getting more powerful stuff, something EVERYONE has been wanting, and the first thing everyone does is complain. If you don't like weak hardware, go play your PS5 Pro/Xbox Series X/PC. If you don't like Nintendo, don't buy their games/hardware. Let us have this.
Temp is currently just full of main characters and narcissism.

Reactions: Jonna

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Temp is currently just full of main characters and narcissism.
Nintendo fanboys are the type of people with no social awareness or common sense. If you say something bad about the Switch, they start having a temper tantrum.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how many general system improvements we'll see with that one.
You will see general stability improvements in spade. You can definitely trust Nintendo to be super stable. General system improvements??? Really??? Where were you in the last few decades to be expecting any of that? Nintendo is already perfect and needs no improvement. Same old is the way to go. I fully expect same old. Maybe you get a 2 next to the Switch logo but don't get your hopes up.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You will see general stability improvements in spade. You can definitely trust Nintendo to be super stable. General system improvements??? Really??? Where were you in the last few decades to be expecting any of that? Nintendo is already perfect and needs no improvement. Same old is the way to go. I fully expect same old.
No such thing as "general system improvements." Stick it up there, Nintendo. Nowadays, it's a flat-out falsehood to make you believe that your console will get one or more additional features, when in-fact it doesn't. The only "improvements" are to prevent owners from hacking their consoles. Remember when updates actually did something?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took 'em long enough.

As for whether I'll be interested in the thing...well, I initially wasn't interested in the Switch 1, as no games really interested me until 2017 (ironically, I believe my system-seller was Xenoblade Chronicles 2), and I did NOT like the concept of bringing the Wii's fucked motion controls back with the JoyCons after the Wii U rightfully killed them off (thankfully, motion controls are still only in a minority of games - the only one at all relevant to me being Pokémon Let's Go - so that didn't end up as a real concern).

I also disliked, and still dislike, how cramped the stupid JoyCons are, as well as the unaligned analog sticks compared to the Wii U's and Wii Classic Controller's aligned sticks, so that also was a third reason why I delayed buying the OG Switch.
Even when I did get my Switch, I used a MagicNS dongle to connect my Wii U Pro Controller for a while before it stopped working and I moved to 8bitdo's controllers (which feature aligned sticks).

In short, I'll have to see the launch lineup and the controllers; if there's something interesting unique to it, and the controllers aren't ASS, then I'll consider it. If not, I'll delay again; the OG Switch is still good enough, as is my laptop (currently playing through Mass Effect again; been years since I touched that series).
Joycons do sucks, you probably also won't be happy with the new one. We have to wait until next year to know if Nintendo is back to making good controllers.
Post automatically merged:

You forgot to mention Nintendo Game & Watch,NES,N64,GB,GBC,GBA,NDS,3DS.
And Switch is going to be stable, more stable, even more stable
"We've heard your complaints about the joycons, so we did the only thing that made sense - our new console will not have controllers at all"
You mean no controller in the box like Apple pioneered brilliant scheme of no charger and no head phone in the box?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You mean no controller in the box like Apple pioneered brilliant scheme of no charger and no head phone in the box?
But they already done it. With 3ds.
I was so surprised when I open it and there not find charger, I go wtf...

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D is still alive and NO, it can't be just another gaming device. Gaming is already boring as fuck because every device plays the same damn games. We need new platforms that stand out. Platforms that attempt to be creative. I want motion, VR and 3D. Not the same old shit I can play everywhere else. I want the "Nintendo difference" not this corporate ass, boring Nintendo we have with the Switch. I'm old enough to remember the "Nintendo difference". Modern Nintendo is a shell of its former self.
That's just wrong. With a Nintendo device you get the Nintendo franchise games. Unless you're doing illegal things on a more powerful handheld, a Nintendo console is the only way to play those games.

It seems like your issue is with gaming in general, nothing at all specific to Nintendo. And 3D? You're out of your mind.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just wrong. With a Nintendo device you get the Nintendo franchise games. Unless you're doing illegal things on a more powerful handheld, a Nintendo console is the only way to play those games.

It seems like your issue is with gaming in general, nothing at all specific to Nintendo. And 3D? You're out of your mind.
With success they want stability, it is always the case every time. It's the underdog that take risk.

Don't worry about those people that bad mouth Nintendo, they love Nintendo to death is the reason they behave this way, they just want to capture that loving feeling again and were disappointed time and again. They will bite for sure.

Reactions: BlusterBong

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, yea