Nintendo Possible Storage Solution

Serabii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo may have found a solution to the "mainsteam" problem.

Nintendo has recently applied for a joint patent filing to InPhase about Hologaphic Storage.

206223-1.jpg

it looks like it came out of a scifi novel but apparently InPhase is developing a technology called Holographic Storage whereas
QUOTE said:
it's a method of storing data in which data is stored throughout the whole volume of a medium, rather than just the surface, allowing for more storage space on a disc. Basically, storage media with multiple-terabyte capacity.

-wiifanboy, joystiq

From the looks of it we might be getting more than the usual 60GB memory, Nintendo didn't looked with a blind eye to the storage complaints and maybe they'll be delivering us more than we bargain for.

source:
Gametrailers News
Wiifanboy

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the new Holographic storage.
I've heard theres hard drives of those already being sold to some companies or some closed network or the like.
Still hella expensive and still in the early stages.

Nintendo needs to stay cheap and giving us a whole Terabyte hard drive is over doing it.
It would be more likely that they would release a USB flash drive of some sort instead.
Cheap and effective.
I think another 512 megs of space is all they would think we'd need.

Though if they could use this tech to make really small drives, say of just a gig in size. Then it might be for the better.

Id rather have something I can backup on my computer somehow though. However knowing nintendo they would want something rather closed off.

Either way they do it, I wish they would do it faster.
We need a storage solution stat.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Holy crap!
biggrin.gif
Surely it's not going to be used until their next console though... I mean we're not even talking HD content unless they plan to distribute full games.

One thing I reckon is certain, it'll probably be hell-a hard to 'crack'.

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You idiot.. this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the storage problem, this is a patent for a future product (probably the console after the NEXT console, like 10-15+ years down the line) and is completely irrelevant to any current Nintendo products.

If we get storage for the Wii, you must be on crack to think this would be it. Grow a brain.

The only people who would believe this are the people who spam the DS forums with questions like CANN DS EMLATE N64?!?!? WAHR CANN I GOT N644 EMLATR LOL!??!?!0!1?!10?1?!1?!!

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who the hell actually needs terabytes? In all seriousness, people seem to be wasteful with organizing and saving space as technology gets more advanced. Instead, it just seems like more and more people assume that if there's a larger capacity and strength of the system, it'll be easier to just throw a thing on and call it good D:

Mini-rant aside, they could try to get a GameCube memory card/adapter that'll act as an expansion to memory. Whether or not it'd be real-time and work with Wii games or just another SD card I don't know, but that's one method that doesn't require too much money, if Nintendo can connect the two ports in the first place without any hardware modification.

cosmo2389

Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
If real, and actually used, this will probably cost a mythic assload of money to produce, and for the consumer to buy. D:

I agree!

QUOTEThis is a new technology and still too expensive, Nintendo is doing research on this for the future.

It's definitely not something that could be used right now..

Agree again!

Also, do you think that Ninty would go so over the top as to make something with so much space that you would have to purchase every game released to actually be able to use a fraction of the space? I mean seriously, 10 gigs would probably be plenty of room (unless they up the size of WiiWare games of course).

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There have been various "hey we found a way to pump up storage space using this technology and that".
They turn out not exactly cost-efficient for the time being, and when they become cost-efficient a more mainstream storage with about the same cost-efficiency appears.

Never hurts to have multi TBs, as long as it's as cheap as a single digit GB storage on users' end. I'm gonna say not likely, but when it becomes likely I'm buying one.

8v8t8r

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what if nintendo's planning this technology for the wii2 and not the current generation wii? it would make sense if they want to compete w/ ps3's hard drive & bluray capacity.

Try2bcool

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I call BS on this...Nintendo isn't exactly known for cutting edge hardware. No matter how many Wii and DS systems they sell, they aren't going to have the money to develop (or pay to have it developed) this technology exclusively for their use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Me niether, us north Koreans don't care