Nintendo Power April 2008 Review Scores

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
8.5 - WII - Bully: Scholarship Edition
8.5 - NDS - Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
8.0 - NDS - Sega Superstars Tennis
8.0 - WII - Sega Superstars Tennis
7.5 - WII - Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
7.0 - WII - Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed
7.0 - WII - Obscure: The Aftermath
7.0 - WII - Opoona
7.0 - WII - The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
6.5 - WII - MLB 2K8
6.0 - WII - Worms: A Space Oddity
5.5 - NDS - Lost in Blue 3
5.0 - NDS - Myst
5.0 - WII - Sega Bass Fishing
3.0 - WII - Baroque

I can type up reviews on request if wanted.

hanndn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
jumpman17 said:
yaynds.gif

yaynds.gif

wacko.gif

wacko.gif

blink.gif

blink.gif

blink.gif

7.0 - WII - Opoona
laugh.gif

huh.gif

6.5 - WII - MLB 2K8
dry.gif

cry.gif

cry.gif
cry.gif

5.0 - NDS - Myst
dry.gif

wtf.gif

3.0 - WII - Baroque
rofl2.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait a second, the second best upcoming DS release is Sega Superstar Tennis? Well April looks shit.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
3.0 for Baroque!?

Is the game really that bad?

BaroqueYou may not have heard of it until now, but the Baroque series has been around for almost a decade in Japan. And while we usually envy Japanese gamers for getting games we don't, in this case we would have been better off without it.

You spend the majority of your time wandering through dungeons and fighting monsters in real time. As in most dungeon-crawlers, Baroque's combat is slowed down to the point that it almost feels turn-based, and it quickly grows boring. As you progress, you gain experience and collect items as you might expect, but when you die (a key gameplay element), you lose everything and have to start from square one.

On top of the boring gameplay, Baroque just throws you into the action from the get-go, with no explanation of what is going on or who you are. (The main character, conveniently, has amnesia.) When you die and are reincarnated, more of the story is explained, but it's in little bits and pieces, and you'll often find yourself wondering what to do and where to go next.

The rest of Baroque is under-whelming as well. The graphics are average, and the dungeons are drab and unimpressive. The localization - from lines that are completely nonsensical to the character who cheerfully adds "goddammit" to every sentence - is laughably bad, and doesn't make the story any easier to comprehend. All in all, Baroque has few redeeming qualities, and your money is better spent elsewhere.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
3.0 for Baroque!?

Is the game really that bad?
Every score I've seen pretty much gives it a bad score. Same with the PS2 version.

fightabunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
Really good idea, thanks jumpman17.

Do you mind typing up the Ninja Gaiden review, when you get some time?

The DS has seen more than its share of trail-blazing, innovative software, but Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword may be the most impressive achievement on the handheld to date. Team Ninja has accomplished what previously seemed impossible, creating an action game controlled entirely via the stylus that's actually... fun. Really, really fun.

Set six months after the events of Ninja Gaiden for Xbox, Dragon Sword marks the return of legendary ninja Ryu Hayabusa. The story begins with the Hayabusa clan enjoying the peaceful tranquility of its newly rebuilt village, but as is wont to happen, a new threat emerges and forces Ryu into battle once more. Players hold the DS sideways, book-style, and control all of the ninja's actions using the touch screen (with the lone exception of blocking, which is performed by pressing any button). Given that, one might reasonably expect the action to be watered down or feel stilted. But Team Ninja has done a masterful job of translating the franchise's robust combat to the new interface. With a little bit of practice, you'll be dashing around the screen, hurling shuriken, and cutting through any evildoer foolish enough to stand in your path. Dragon Sword's action is every bit as slick and stylish as its console counterpart, and gives you that same sensation of feeling like a total badass. It's both comfortingly familiar and unlike anything you've played before; a traditional gaming experience made fresh by the DS.

Dragon Sword's presentation is equally remarkable. The pre-rendered backdrops are absolutely gorgeous, painting scenes of astonishing depth and detail for a DS game, whether it's the lush foliage and gently flowing stream of a secluded forest or the crumbling ruins of an ancient temple. The environment goes fully polygonal during boss battles, allowing the camera to zoom in behind Ryu and showcasing some of the most amazing 3-D ever squeezed from the handheld. Likewise, the sound quality is top-notch, making the most of a subdued soundtrack and ambient sound effects. This is the rare third-party game that seems to tap into the hardware as effectively as Nintendo's first-party efforts. Beautifully illustrated comic-book-style cut-scenes tie everything together, and while the overall narrative is nothing to write home about, there are some nice moments of genuine sweetness that you wouldn't expect from Team Ninja.

Like the previous Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Sword is supremely confident in its identity. Aside from a few very light puzzle elements sprinkled here and there, this is pure, unadulterated action from start to finish. The developers understand that the fun here derives from slicing and dicing bad guys, and they're mindful to never stand in the way of that. There are no minigames or touch-screen gimmickry; because the game takes advantage of the DS's unique interface in such a fundamental way, it needn't resort to such tactics to justify its existence.

Although this is Team Ninja's first-ever handheld project, the developer clearly realizes the importance of adapting to the portable experience. Dragon Sword is divided into short chapters, and each provides a satisfying, bite-sized chunk of action perfect for the morning commute or a lunch break. Additionally, save points are generously placed, making it even easier to jump in and out of the adventure. Partially because of that, however, the game is considerably less challenging than its (in) famously difficult predecessor. It's not a walk in the park by any means (and once you unlock Head Ninja difficulty, all bets are off), but hardcore fans probably won't see the Game Over screen on more than a handful of occasions. Whether or not that's a good thing likely depends on your level of masochism.

At approximately five hours, Dragon Sword is a bit on the short side, but I have a tough time complaining when those five hours are so tight and extremely polished. Drawing things out would have run the risk of overstaying the game's welcome; as is, I didn't feel the least bit unsatisfied when the credits started to roll. This is an exciting new standard for the action genre on DS, and a game from which other traditional developers should take inspiration.

webyugioh

Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
jumpman17 said:
7.0 - WII - Opoona
6.5 - WII - MLB 2K8
5.0 - NDS - Myst
3.0 - WII - Baroque

I can also if jumpman does not have time.
I've been thinking of doing something like this, but I guess i was too slow.
I get my nintendo power every month so I can help if there is any need.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Lyuse said:
ZAFDeltaForce said:
xcalibur said:
Psyfira said:
Wait a second, the second best upcoming DS release is Sega Superstar Tennis? Well April looks shit.

Did you miss Ninjau Gaiden DS right above it?
Thats why She said "the second best". Allow me to bold it for you.

fixed

Sorry, missed that..

blahman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psyfira said:

maybe instead of April being shit is that SSST is good?
like if SSST is like 4/10 and its 2nd best then April would be shit

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
xcalibur said:
Lyuse said:
Did you miss Ninjau Gaiden DS right above it?
Thats why She said "the second best". Allow me to bold it for you.
No he's got a point, gender bending aside I'd never even heard of it
biggrin.gif
I stand corrected, that one does look rather interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Wb1DdEdrGSE?si=b0bLxJi6sW6_RSxy