Hacking Not sure what brand of HDD I should get

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the_randomizer said:
Right. Seeing as I've never bought an external hard drive before, naturally I have initial doubts, all of which are trivial. I'm not trying to come across as being a jerk, troll and/or noob. If I offended anyone or pi**ed anyone off, I'm sorry.
No apologies needed. You are new, and therefore are exempt from being labelled a part of the "individuals that don't read, don't follow instructions, have no common sense, and are morons" crowd. Just don't actively try to join their ranks, k
wink.gif

A word to note with the WD (Western Digital) drives, they have many series, elements, passport essential, etc... If you are just using the drive for the Wii, I highly recommend sticking to the elements models as they are pure drives without any hidden partitions, virtual drives, or any other problematic features.

I easily recommend the WD Elements - Portable Hard Drives or the WD Elements Desktop - External Hard Drives, with the desktop models getting the highest recommendation as it is self powered, not using the USB port of the Wii for power. I would again stay under 2TB for capacity to save money, and minimize headaches.

-[]D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
the_randomizer said:
Right. Seeing as I've never bought an external hard drive before, naturally I have initial doubts, all of which are trivial. I'm not trying to come across as being a jerk, troll and/or noob. If I offended anyone or pi**ed anyone off, I'm sorry.
No apologies needed. You are new, and therefore are exempt from being labelled a part of the "individuals that don't read, don't follow instructions, have no common sense, and are morons" crowd. Just don't actively try to join their ranks, k
wink.gif

A word to note with the WD (Western Digital) drives, they have many series, elements, passport essential, etc... If you are just using the drive for the Wii, I highly recommend sticking to the elements models as they are pure drives without any hidden partitions, virtual drives, or any other problematic features.

I easily recommend the WD Elements - Portable Hard Drives or the WD Elements Desktop - External Hard Drives, with the desktop models getting the highest recommendation as it is self powered, not using the USB port of the Wii for power. I would again stay under 2TB for capacity to save money, and minimize headaches.

-[]D

Glad to hear it. Thanks for all the help/advice you guys have given me! I'll be able to try out the new HDD this Saturday. And don't worry, I don't plan on labeling myself under that category anytime soon. I've familiarized myself with computers and hardware since 1996, as well as getting A+/Comptia certification when working for Dell Small Medium Business back in 2008, so, at least I know what not to do; in other words, I try to use common sense whenever necessary.
biggrin.gif

Edit 3:15 PM I take it USB vs AC is irrelevant.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 7:16PM - Well, I got the WD My Passport 500GB HDD today and formatted it with a tool called Fat32 Formatter, seems to be transferring files over well, now to take it for test spin. Will update later.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
the_randomizer said:
Update 7:16PM - Well, I got the WD My Passport 500GB HDD today and formatted it with a tool called Fat32 Formatter, seems to be transferring files over well, now to take it for test spin. Will update later.
It sounds like you don't know what you're doing.

Do you know why it's called FAT32? It's because it gets VERY inefficient if it's bigger than 32GB.
So make a FAT32 partition at the end of the drive that's 32GB in size, and make the rest NTFS.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
the_randomizer said:

Do you know why it's called FAT32? It's because it gets VERY inefficient if it's bigger than 32GB.
So make a FAT32 partition at the end of the drive that's 32GB in size, and make the rest NTFS.

Crap! Alright.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no no... ONE drive, ONE partition
smile.gif

With VERY few exceptions...

Efficiency is not really an issue. Your Wii game will take up EXACTLY the same amount of space on a FAT32 drive as they do on an NTFS drive. They are about the same speed. NTFS is better but FAT32 is better suited for the Wii.

But OMG what EVER you do, don't get caught in the process of diminishing returns by running more than one partition on a hard drive unless you absolutely have to.

the_randomizer said:

I'm proud of you. You were asking all the right questions and getting all the best advice (up until that partitioning crazy guy lol) and it seemed like you were going to bail on the whole project after all your research and guidance.

KNOW THIS - there is NOTHING wrong with using FAT32 on large partitions. I did all the testing for GX and CFG on WD and Seagate 3tb drives (making them compatible for the new 4k sector size drives) and even on 3tb partitions FAT32 performs fine. In fact it did better than NTFS on speed for loading game listings and loading games.

You made the absolute right choice using one FAT32 partition - put it as a poll and I'd bet at least 9 out of 10 would agree

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Fishaman P said:

Really? I always assumed it was because it used 32 bit cluster addresses, like how FAT16 originally used 16 bit cluster addresses and FAT'12' uses 12 bit cluster addresses
unsure.gif

Guess i was wrong
frown.gif

Can't say i've seen any huge impact on performance when using a 500GB drive as FAT32, though for any practical application i've always used NTFS anyway for the large filesize support.

Can't see any reason to need NTFS for the Wii though, FAT32 should be fine

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't second guess based on one inaccurate comment: FAT32 is ideal...even Modmii recommends FAT32....

@Fisherman P: what??? (i find no FAT32 definition even remotely based on what you said anywhere...i'm willing to be wrong, but it doesn't even sound accurate)

EDIT: okay...i done some reading (is wiki ever wrong?
smile.gif
)...i thought the 32GB XP limit was just an arbitrary number chosen by Micro$oft...guess there is some merit behind it...HOWEVER, for the wii, FAT32 still reigns supreme IMO (UNEEK, HBC app loading, etc.)

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i randomly just chose an hdd my book wd cuz i had it, and i didn't need to do all that partitioning crap that confuse you on the tutorials, i simply installed cios, cfg loader, and made a folder called wbfs and put my games inthere, and it works, no spindown problems watsoever, played tatsunoko vs capcom 4 hrs straight. ntfs btw here....its pretty damn easy its just all those tutorials confusing people.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are covers supposed to take a long time to download to configurable usb loader? The HDD light flickers, but it just stays there in the menu. The second game ripped, but it's not doing anything. The cover should have downloaded by now, I definitely feel the HDD working to install it, but...I dare not hard reboot the Wii. So far it's taken 10 minutes. WTH?

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is definitely a bit of a problem with how CFG handles covers. Don't get me wrong CFG is a great loader... it just simply wants to load the same covers over and over. In all honesty GX handles covers a LOT better.

Just a quick edit here... If you concentrate on getting your games loaded and NOT worry about the minutia like covers until you get the games loaded and working you'll be a much happier camper
smile.gif

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

I don't have a problem with my ext.HDD and it's formatted like this:1st Partition 699 GB FAT32 Cluster Size 16kb (plays games from USB and also works with Mighty Channels) 2nd Partition 221 GB NTFS; I use my NTFS to play games but for some reason It wont delete games but I know it's cause of the echi and that part doesnt really bother me for now.

I'm just a little confused why he shouldn't do his whole drive FAT32? unless he plans on using the NTFS to store files from his PC since the Wii homebrew cant use it. (an exception would be USB Loaders which will play games off it) It was also my assumption that FAT32 is still recommended over NTFS for these reasons.

If i'm missing anything please inform cause I would like to know, as to not give someone bad advice. This is just how I remember it so.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
the_randomizer said:

It's called "FAT32" because it uses a 32bit file allocation table. I'm not going to call you dirty names even though you pretend to know what's going on but don't. I hereby summon you to a public debate. I HATE when ppl pretend to know what's going on and give really bad advice.

How dare you tell someone he doesn't know what he is doing when you know even less than he does.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
QUOTE said:

I don't have a problem with my ext.HDD and it's formatted like this:1st Partition 699 GB FAT32 Cluster Size 16kb (plays games from USB and also works with Mighty Channels) 2nd Partition 221 GB NTFS; I use my NTFS to play games but for some reason It wont delete games but I know it's cause of the echi and that part doesnt really bother me for now.

I'm just a little confused why he shouldn't do his whole drive FAT32? unless he plans on using the NTFS to store files from his PC since the Wii homebrew cant use it. (an exception would be USB Loaders which will play games off it) It was also my assumption that FAT32 is still recommended over NTFS for these reasons.

If i'm missing anything please inform cause I would like to know, as to not give someone bad advice. This is just how I remember it so.

I'm sticking with FAT32 (already formatted as such). Homebrew loads fine, and so do the games I backed up; everything seems to be in working order. Maybe I'll back the games up, then use the USB CFG program on my desktop and download the covers that way.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing HDDs getting somewhat warm is normal.

UPDATE Twilight Princess does not work! Super Mario Galaxy 2, Tales of Symphonia, etc work, but TP will not load! WTH? It just hangs there and goes back to the HBC menu! I made sure the game ripped correctly!

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen has a green flicker and quits to the HBC, Mario Kart Wii, Dawn of a New World, Donkey Kong Country Returns all work, so why is TP giving me so much trouble? First time I ripped it, it only got a 500MB file, so I deleted it and tried again. Nothing. Won't load at all.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a 1.5tb Western Digital, partition it in 2 750gbs, 1 for Wii/GC games, and the other for movies/files.

They are great, mine's lasted nearly a year, it just broke though after several falls, but WD is repairing it for free.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haloman800 said:
Get a 1.5tb Western Digital, partition it in 2 750gbs, 1 for Wii/GC games, and the other for movies/files.

They are great, mine's lasted nearly a year, it just broke though after several falls, but WD is repairing it for free.

Obviously you missed the part where I said "I already bought the 500GB HDD" meaning, I already have this and that FAT32 is sufficient for all Wii homebrew. The other games ripped fine, but Twilight Princess will not load. Besides, someone earlier said it's not imperative I have more than one partition. Why can't I load it? That's what I'm trying to find out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night