Hacking Offlinelist and pretrimmed roms

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just discovered offlinelist, looks like a handy tool for organizing my roms.

Problem is I've trimmed all my roms already and offlinelist wont recognise them.

Is there anyway round this?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Richy Freeway said:
Just discovered offlinelist, looks like a handy tool for organizing my roms.

Problem is I've trimmed all my roms already and offlinelist wont recognise them.

Is there anyway round this?

Use Rominator.

Hyuk hyuk
wink.gif

--Henry

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As hankchill says rominator relies on other methods but if you want to use offline list you will have to work out what was done.

There are two types of trimming: the so called safe/header offset based method and the method I will dub brute force.

The former reads the DS rom header which says where the file ends and then deletes from there on while the brute force method reads back from the end until it gets to something other than a 00/FF (which is all the trimmed data is) and deletes from there.
Sometimes this causes problems so that is why the other method was developed.

In theory it should be possible to just add 00/FF's back to the rom and restore the crc32 and by extension offline lists capability but when someone tried this it did not work for some reason. I was posting in the thread but that probably does not help searching much and it was buried in amongst several hundred other "how do I trim roms threads".
A simple method might involve using copy /b to add a whole bunch of 00's/FF's to the rom and then trimming it back to the size required (which with something like cracker's filecutter: http://min.midco.net/cracker/filecutter.zip could be accomplished very rapidly with the command line and a batch file or three:
Assuming all the files are extracted sort them by size. With the possible exception of pokemon roms no rom should be smaller than the next size down. For the record DS roms come in 64Mbit, 128Mbit, 256Mbit, 512Mbit, 1024Mbit and 2048Mbit aka 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 MBytes)
Sort them into size folders
the line dir /b >>a.txt will make a text file of just the names of the rom in the folder
open this in a spreadsheet and using different cells and the fill option make it read something like
copy /b romname+blankfile romname2 (this will make large files)
then use the trimmer app, the usage is:
filecutter file.in length file.out
I will leave it up to you whether you do the trimming after the copy or later
rinse and repeat for all the sizes.
I suggest putting something like a # or some other symbol you will not use where you want a space and rememeber to put quotes around names with a space in them (you might as well do it for all though)

Copy the spreadsheet into a text editor and replace the "tab" parts (you will most likely have to copy and paste a "blank/tab" section) with nothing and the symbol with a space.
Save as a batch file and you are sorted.

You probably could accomplish this with a more complex batch file using wildcards and/or info but I am ashamed to say my command line skills leave a bit to be desired these days. Likewise you could use the dir a bit better and do it all in one, the switch is /s to parse subdirectories as I recall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday, btw