Hacking RELEASE Painless Linux - it's Linux, but painless (Windows, Mac OS, Linux & Android)

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
but still the 'battery discharge' problem, so not really painless if you always pulling your battery cable out, may as well, when you have the switch cover off, and battery cable out, do some soldering and install a 'disconnect' switch on it, until someone figures out how to code payload that updates the 'battery level registers' while non-horizon os is running.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted-442439

Tired of trying to boot the useless Linux on your Switch without succeeding ? Tired of reading through the 57 guides I made just to see a black screen or USB error ? Fear no more, for I have come with...

~ Painless Linux ~

Grab it while it's hot : https://github.com/natinusala/painless-linux
Everything is explaned in the README of the repository.

Now you can boot Linux from any system (Windows, Mac OS, Linux or Android), without any extra work :
  1. Download the disk image
  2. Burn it on your SD card using Etcher or dd
  3. Clone or download the repository and use the provided scripts (for Android you need to copy 2 files)
The system is an improved version of @00Cancer's GNOME Arch Linux image :
  • sudo
  • chromium browser
  • scripts to manage GPU clock profiles (courtesy of @Gigaa)
  • SSH server enabled by default
  • automatic root filesystem expand to fit your SD card

I will try to keep it updated, with incremental updates, if applicable. I will also keep this post minimal, as everything is already in the README.

Have fun with your almost functional Linux !

Great job, your contributions to simplifying the process for the end user is appreciated!

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The true rockstars are those who ported Linux to the Switch and made the GNOME image (and everything inside) !

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but still the 'battery discharge' problem, so not really painless if you always pulling your battery cable out, may as well, when you have the switch cover off, and battery cable out, do some soldering and install a 'disconnect' switch on it, until someone figures out how to code payload that updates the 'battery level registers' while non-horizon os is running.

That's part of the Linux-not-working issues, like the Wi-Fi, its going to be eventually fixed. For now there's no real use in using Linux anyway.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
That's part of the Linux-not-working issues, like the Wi-Fi, its going to be eventually fixed. For now there's no real use in using Linux anyway.

I know you trying to keep your 'first post' in this thread clean and simple, but you should at least put the disclaimer about 'battery discharge' and 'lcd screen' in it, as no one even myself reads the 'github' readme first! :)

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not supposed to happen because fail0verflow got it right but you know, anything can happen.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know you trying to keep your 'first post' in this thread clean and simple, but you should at least put the disclaimer about 'battery discharge' and 'lcd screen' in it, as no one even myself reads the 'github' readme first! :)

Well there you need to read the README to use the thing so...

Reactions: SomeGamer

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What we need is a Linux script that writes Batery Level to the OS, should be possible with Console Keys.

kevandkkim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download doesnt seem any faster from mega client. After download I will reupload.

EDIT: A little over an hour left on the upload to drive i just started. will make a new post when finished. Op can put in Op for now. (unless ElGoog takes it down over traffic concerns lol)

Last edited by kevandkkim,
Reactions: Sonicbrawler

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads