Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Kingdedede

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you mean that there shouldn't be a resistor at D0 at all?

Or is the resistor value bad?
Post automatically merged:

Can anyone confirm the exact resistor values? Who here has tried this successfully with the three resistors?
taking the resistor off doesn't help

achm3t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Reduce your wire length by about 75% and check your solder joints. That will fix your issue.

Bro... Your wires are way too long. Are you trying to reach the moon.
Long wires in the pic I’ve provided was necessary for that type of install, I just could not find any way to fit V4 chip to oled. I know it is not so beautiful, but it worked :). With my rp2040 install on lite of course I didn’t used so long wires (I think they were about 3-4cm long, may be cpu wire was a bit longer…)
Anyway Your advice about length is great, I believe it could be it! I will try it on Sunday :)

Last edited by achm3t,

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Long wires in the pic I’ve provided was necessary for that type of install, I just could not find any way to fit V4 chip to oled. I know it is not so beautiful, but it worked :). With my rp2040 install on lite of course I didn’t used so long wires (I think they were about 3-4cm long, may be cpu wire was a bit longer…)
Anyway Your advice about length is great, I believe it could be it! I Will try it on Saturday :)
Your install looks better than most around here. Your good.

Reactions: achm3t

FruithatMods

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is actually a calculator somewhere on the Internet about the maximum length of wires for signal traces.

The emmc protocol is actually really sensitive to wire length and pcb trace routing. If the emmc traces are badly routed on the Pico pcb this can also reduce the wire length which you can use.

I have personally experienced this problem on a different pcb, specifically when breaking out the emmc connections! So the exact same thing as these chip installations! The emmc routing was perfect on this pcb too and length was still an issue.

When I cut the wires in half and tried again the connection was established and I could suddenly access the emmc. Like magic!

If your wires are already short something else could be the issue.

It seems fake to me. I mean, you need 1v8 logic to Interface with the emmc. And rpi runs at 3v3. I don’t see level shifter on the board.

The wiring of the cpu flex is cringeworthy but could probably work. (If it were legit)

Even if it works, I’d give it 80% probability it can’t flash the emmc with the custom boot code.

Edited: RCM chip doesn’t make sense, as no usb.

Honestly, it’s weird. More info and/or uncut video of this thing booting, or it didn’t happen. ;)
The spec sheets disprove your argument. Also this is not how adc or pwm works. You don't need to send a 3.3v signal. You can just send a 1.8v or 0.5v signal or anything you choose.

You are probably thinking of the 3.3v power out pad which can only provide 3.3 volts. But this is different.

Last edited by FruithatMods,

vittorio

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i was looking at this function but its not clear where it checks for id

1676058351222.png

https://raspberrypi.github.io/pico-sdk-doxygen/group__pico__unique__id.html

Reactions: FruithatMods

LeGenD_ArMoUR_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm maybe thinking the issue lies somewhere with the firmware as it seems to be running fine on a lite but as soon as its run on a v2 mariko we're getting the dat0 error?

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm maybe thinking the issue lies somewhere with the firmware as it seems to be running fine on a lite but as soon as its run on a v2 mariko we're getting the dat0 error?
Given that it came with a wiring diagram for the Lite in particular, it probably was written with the Lite in mind and hadn't been updated to support the others yet.

Reactions: overcode

FruithatMods

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The firmware should be rewritten from scratch. It shouldn't be hard as the puzzle pieces have already been figured out. There are three major parts to the firmware.

1.emmc reader/writer
2.emmc sniffer function
3.cpu glitch timer

That's all there is to it.

The firmware should have an update tool from the start though to make life easier if the firmware doesn't function as expected.

Kingdedede

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No mariko Is ok With this firmware
I have mariko Witch install rp2040 and this firmware start hekate
No mariko Is ok With this firmware

Tafty

Trophies
XP
Country
The firmware should be rewritten from scratch. It shouldn't be hard as the puzzle pieces have already been figured out. There are three major parts to the firmware.

1.emmc reader/writer
2.emmc sniffer function
3.cpu glitch timer

That's all there is to it.

The firmware should have an update tool from the start though to make life easier if the firmware doesn't function as expected.
Im in agreement with this,

Bodging the current solution isn't going to help anyone, we need a proper written firmware from the start.

a firmware updater is also a must because for mariko and oled you will have to remove the usb port and the buttons(one is needed to put flash the chip) 100%. In the lite you can potentially leave the port as it does fit and the shell closes with the heat shield off, so if you trimmed that area you should be good.

szubiennica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
where did you get this pinout? :)))
This is the same pinout
GND - 38
3v3 - 37
D0 - 35? not sure
CMD - 34