Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

nebi

Trophies
XP
Country
Use? Homebrew/Games .
Price Range? dont care
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable .
Special features? i like features so what card does have most features ?
tongue.gif

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular No
Other? Should not have any problem with homebrew

CycloDS Evo or AKRPG, since you like features. If you're good with hacking, try the AKRPG since it's open source so you can screw around with it however you want. here's to help you decide which to get (these are the 2 most fully-featured carts, trust me):
Cyclo has over the AKRPG- Real Time Save, Slow Motion mode
AKRPG has over the Cyclo- 1GB of built-in memory AND expandable, better with EZFlash3-in-1, open source

One question: do you need a slot-2 for GBA, rumble, and/or the official web browser? if you do then I recommend the AKRPG. It works better with the EZflash 3-in-1 than the Cyclo.

dont really need slot-2 but it doesnt hurt if it works. AKRPG sounds good to me , I like programming
smile.gif
thanks for the help.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
Use? Games.. Movies.
Price Range? Price isn't an option.
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? Whichever offers biggest storage (no more than 4gb) and best performance for the price.
Special features? I'd like a web browser, nice in game menu (RTS/Slow-mo/cheats), smooth, easey to use and nice to look at GUI/OS
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular All of them except DSTT
Other? Shipping from the UK only, and available for delivery asap (1-2days).
I will not be using a GBA expansion slot.. and i doubt any GBA ROMs.
Was originally interested in the CycloDS but just a check up to see if there's anything better.

Also, i wouldn't like to play with the firmware of my DS or open it up or anything.. im not keen on hacking either.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games.. Movies.
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? Whichever offers biggest storage (no more than 4gb) and best performance for the price.
Special features? I'd like a web browser, nice in game menu (RTS/Slow-mo/cheats), smooth, easey to use and nice to look at GUI/OS
Was originally interested in the CycloDS but just a check up to see if there's anything better.

Also, i wouldn't like to play with the firmware of my DS or open it up or anything.. im not keen on hacking either.
Sounds like the Cyclo is actually the best cart for you. It has everything you described except the web browser but no flash carts have that, just use the official opera or DSO browser or something. Everything else you said is perfectly integrated the cyclo. Good luck and have fun.
yaynds.gif

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, due to availability (acekard not so easy to find, though not impossible) and the news that Linux has been more successful with Evo (though, who knows if I'll even ever use Linux...) I decided to get the CycloDS.

I figured after enough posts it was time to... er... poop or get off the pot. Should be arriving this week. Thanks for everyone's advice and insight, and I'll be sure to post follow-up questions to the Cyclo-specific sub-forum.

Thanks again!

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, due to availability (acekard not so easy to find, though not impossible) and the news that Linux has been more successful with Evo (though, who knows if I'll even ever use Linux...) I decided to get the CycloDS.

I figured after enough posts it was time to... er... poop or get off the pot. Should be arriving this week. Thanks for everyone's advice and insight, and I'll be sure to post follow-up questions to the Cyclo-specific sub-forum.

Thanks again!
Well, I hope you don't regret your choice.
smile.gif

But how is AK hard to find? Bambogaming is the best place to get them and they have in stock.

Anyway, Cyclo has slow mo over AK so you did get something I guess.

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I hope so, too.
wink.gif
The RPG is certainly compelling. I like the fast response of its on-board memory, too, for games that are finicky about the microSD. One thing's for sure-- it wasn't an easy decision. The RPG's 3-in-1 support via Rudolph, plus the open-sourceness, made it pretty much a dead heat.

Hard to find = not at any of the Canadian sites I tried. I have to admit, I didn't look at Bamboogaming or notice that it's free worldwide shipping. That may have influenced my order, but probably not.

At the end of the day, although I absolutely hate wasting money (hence the long deliberation) if the Acekard RPG rises to the top and starts to implement a tonne of must-haves, I'll try to liquidate my Evo and get an RPG instead. But since the Evo is still fairly far ahead of the R4, which would have been my default purchase if I hadn't found this forum first, I'm not feeling TOOoooo badly.
wink.gif
I only know 2 other people with flashcarts, and they're not really into the "scene". They both have R4s. When I said, "but these new carts (listing them) have so many more features!" and they said, "like what?" and I replied, they were like... "meh."

I think people like me (and some of the other members here, no doubt!) get too enthusiastic about details and varying product lines and all the possibilities of the cart that we start to lose the forest for the trees. And the Evo is certainly a well-regarded card. As long as I get a working one (fingers crossed) I don't think I'll end up too disappointed.

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, their site emphasizes that it's for the latest black batch; I also made a comment in the transaction specifying that it had to be from the latest "black" batch as per the item description.

So, should be good!

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games.. Movies.
Slot 1/2? Slot 1

Yeah, I agree with golden, the Cyclo is what you need. You can use homebrew browsers such as DSHobro and the DSOrganize browser on the Cyclo w/o any slot-2 attachments, but in order to get the official Opera browser you need a slot-2 (as in GBA slot).

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
Okay, thanks guys. That's what i originally intended to go for, but i wasn't too sure as other people mentioned an M3Real, R4 and AKRPG.

Another 2 quick questions.. and ill stop bothering you aha:D

Can you point me to a 4GB MicroSD card which is Class 4 or faster? From the UK.

And i'd also appreciate it if you could give me a list of UK dealers that ship the CycloDS.. Most that i've looked at are either very expensive or don't have it in stock. If i had a list i could check it regularly:)
Thanks again:D

Vodrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use? Games, Video, Audio
Price Range? No limit. I don't want to spend more than the minimum unless the card is really worth it though.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
GBA compatibility? Yes
Special features? None really.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: CycloDS, DSTT, M3 Real, R4, AceKard RPG
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Dont mind
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Interested, not neccesary though.

Thanks
happy.gif

paulpc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Use?Games
Price Range?30-50$
Slot 1/2?Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable memory
Special features?hmm..no..
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularsupercard ds one
Other?DSTT,M3 DS Real
i would like to be updated and to work for long time.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games, Video, Audio
Price Range? No limit. I don't want to spend more than the minimum unless the card is really worth it though.
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? Yes
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: CycloDS, DSTT, M3 Real, R4, AceKard RPG
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

ThanksÂ
happy.gif

You may need a lot of space for videos, so you should get a cart that supports microSDHC cards. The lowest priced flashcart that goes with the above is the DSTT with its GBA, rumble, RAM bundle. The DSTT seems to be a very good cart, and it supports microSDHC. So I suggest the DSTT.
Use?Games
Price Range?30-50$
Slot 1/2?Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable memory
Special features?hmm..no..
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularsupercard ds one
Other?DSTT,M3 DS Real
i would like to be updated and to work for long time.
We're still not sure if the DSTT will have good support, but the m3 team have been known to have good support and give many updates. The r4 team now are only updating for game combat fixes, but these are very timely updates. So the m3 real and r4 are good for you.

Vodrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use? Games, Video, Audio
Price Range? No limit. I don't want to spend more than the minimum unless the card is really worth it though.
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? Yes
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

ThanksÂ
happy.gif
You may need a lot of space for videos, so you should get a cart that supports microSDHC cards. The lowest priced flashcart that goes with the above is the DSTT with its GBA, rumble, RAM bundle. The DSTT seems to be a very good cart, and it supports microSDHC. So I suggest the DSTT.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I was leaning towards the DSTT already, but your advice sealed the deal.
smile.gif

I hate to pester but you wouldn't happen to know whether the DSTT is compatible with the EZ Flash V 3 in 1 would you? I only ask because i've been checking different sites and it seem it would be cheaper for me to just buy the DSTT card and an EZ 3 in 1 than to get the DSTT combo package, epscially as I have no interest in the rumble pack.

Thanks again.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
^since you mention cyclo and acekard, u need a 2nd look before buying ttds/m3 cus from what i know cyclo n acekard are more superior than ttds/m3...

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Use? Games, Video, Audio
Price Range? No limit. I don't want  to spend more than the minimum unless the card is really worth it though.
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? Yes
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

Thanks 
happy.gif

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I was leaning towards the DSTT already, but your advice sealed the deal.
smile.gif

I hate to pester but you wouldn't happen to know whether the DSTT is compatible with the EZ Flash V 3 in 1 would you? I only ask because i've been checking different sites and it seem it would be cheaper for me to just buy the DSTT card and an EZ 3 in 1 than to get the DSTT combo package, epscially as I have no interest in the rumble pack.

Thanks again.
AFAIK, you need to use Rudolph's App to do so. But theoretically, any slot-1 card will work with the 3-in-1.
Only few cards out there integrate perfectly with the 3-in-1 without any extra software or stuff like that, I know of the AceKard R.P.G. and the EZFlash V. Maybe there are others, IDK.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, all or most slot-1's should work with the 3-in-1, but they may not support natively like the AKRPG and EZ Flash V do. It should work fine, though, with the correct software (rudolph's tool).

*sidenote: man this thread is hard to keep up with!
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Me niether, us north Koreans don't care