Hacking Preloader or not

dun4cheap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First I want to say thanks to all the coders and contributors out there. It has been a fun ride tweaking and hacking my wii's

I started initially just with one wii and opted to buy another from costco, so I could hack it first in case it crashed and burned then I could always return it.

Anyhow, both of my wii's have custom cios and setup to run the backup launchers, usb launchers, homebrew etc. One is still on SM3.4 and the other one is on SM4. Everything appears to be running great but I was thinking maybe I should install preloader v.29 on the SM4 one. Now I started to install it the other night, I loaded up the homebrew channel but I had not put the hacks.ini onto the root of the sd card. I just have not hopped off the fence.

So I am here to see what you guys think. If I have read correctly, preloader v.29 will work on my sm4 version but once it is installed there is no way to remove it as of yet.

Any what are the pros and cons, and are there any special things I should know?

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can uninstall Preloader by just re-installing the system menu. Some of the hacks are removing the no-copy protection, skip disk update check, and being able to play region-free games.

You've really got nothing to lose.

ThaDraGun

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have 4.0 and I installed it and got rid of it numerous times thinking I set it up wrong. I dunno maybe I didnt uninstall it right, but it seemed to be fine for me. All I did was reinstall System Menu 4.0. Then preloader didnt start up anymore...

I'm now back with preloader. Only reason I have it is because people say it prevents bricks. Not sure what other advantages it has. That one alone I think would make it worth it.

dun4cheap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say reinstall system menu, are you referring to the nintendo update? or Wani's SM4 update. I suspect the Wini's update which is what I ran to get to System Menu 4.

ThaDraGun

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dont do it through nintendo.

I did mine just with a wad install. (Google: "System Menu 4.0 USA.wad") I think thats the quickest and easiest way. Wani's also works

dun4cheap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the cios60 actually the system menu 4 ios? Something like freethebug patched?

That where I get a little confused. Now with the preloader, am I able to also disable the warning screens that always come up just be a game. I would love to do away with those.

So are all the available hacks in the one hacks.ini file, or are there more hacks that can be added to the ini file. I understand anytime I want to configure preloader I just need to place the hacks.ini file on the root of the sd card, but are there different ini files?

I guess I could actually look at the contents of the ini file.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dun4cheap said:
Is the cios60 actually the system menu 4 ios? Something like freethebug patched?

That where I get a little confused. Now with the preloader, am I able to also disable the warning screens that always come up just be a game. I would love to do away with those.

So are all the available hacks in the one hacks.ini file, or are there more hacks that can be added to the ini file. I understand anytime I want to configure preloader I just need to place the hacks.ini file on the root of the sd card, but are there different ini files?

I guess I could actually look at the contents of the ini file.

I believe the sytem menu for 4.0 and preloader both run off ios60.

Preloader can disable the health warning when starting up the wii.That way it goes straight to the menu instead of pressing A

All hacks can be in one .ini file.If you find more hacks just add them to the file and enable them through preloader.
Once you enable a hack through preloader its set.You dont need to keep the .ini file on the sd card to keep the hack onces its been set.

Right now though it looks like there is no way to remove the hacks.ini file from preloader .29
In previous version you could run a hack remover tool that cleared all the hacks completly off the wii.
Thats not possible with preloader.29 as of right now.You can disable any hack you originally enabled but it will always still be there.
I think the only way to remove them completely would be to reinstall the system menu which also wipes out preloader all together.

If i am wrong with any of this then someone please correct me.I do want to give out false information.

dun4cheap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in all seriousness the proper way to backup my system menu 4 would be to use the NUSD tool

with this info 0000000100000002 V417

That NUSD tool is pretty cool. I guess I am ready for preloader.

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont think preloader prevents bricks, it just allows you to undo the stupid shit you did
smile.gif

dun4cheap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the info. So it really sounds like the benefit is the ability to boot in to a homebrew channel directly if there was ever a brick problem.

Is there actually a source for hacks for preloader?

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[Remove NoCopy Protection]
version=417
offset=0x8134E1E0
value=0x7C000000
offset=0x8134E1F0,0x8134E1F4,0x8134E1F8,0x8134E1FC
value=0x801C0024,0x5400003C,0x901C0024,0x48000018
offset=0x81353DF8
value=3BE00000
offset=0x813C4C88,0x813C4C8C
value=0x7C000000,0x4182001C
offset=0x815C1B48
value=0x38600001

whats this one do? This ones new to me.

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not completely certain, but I'm guessing that might allow you to copy saved games that won't normally let you copy them?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raptir said:
I'm not completely certain, but I'm guessing that might allow you to copy saved games that won't normally let you copy them?

That is correct.

It works i used it to copy mario kart save.
Even after its enabled the move/copy box will still be greyed out but it can be copied.

dun4cheap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can't seem to install preloader. I get the black screen with the please read carefully. It just sits there. Any ideas?

jd506

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something you should know before installing - is that it can't be fully removed from your Wii.
Even fully reinstalling the system menu leaves behind the renamed .app that Preloader uses.

You may want to check out aquilino's StartPatch4.0.1
It applies permanent patches to your system menu, but it can easily be removed.
Most of Preloader's 4.0 hacks were taken from his patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What the hell was that Syl?