Hacking Preparing for possible brick

Xta Large

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've come across quite a few WADs that I would love to install, but just to make sure I don't fuck up my system beyond repair, I want to know what I should do before hand to make it so that I can save this thing from a WAD-based brick. I'm on 3.2U running the latest IOS required for the Gamma loader, and I have a copy of Twilight Princess at the ready. Thanks!

Beatchu

Trophies
XP
Country
Make sure Twilight hack and starfall are installed. Then if you brick, you can autoboot TP by holding Y on a GC controller (providing you have one) and install a new system menu via the Twilight hack

Xta Large

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beatchu said:
Make sure Twilight hack and starfall are installed. Then if you brick, you can autoboot TP by holding Y on a GC controller (providing you have one) and install a new system menu via the Twilight hack
Thanks! I'll get right to it.

EDIT: Do I have to put it into the root menu of my SD card in boot format?

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Beatchu said:
How install a new system menu?

Can we make a bootable disc wich only contain an update?

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's best to autoboot TP and execute the TwilightHack. Make sure you have the .dol from WadManager in the root of your sd named boot.dol.

Now use wad manager to uninstall the wad that fucked your wii up.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
wads wont fuck up your wii unless you install wads from other regions than it may or may not brick, or they simply wont work. however the ios wads they can be dangerous

Beatchu

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm dunno why I said install a new sys menu when you're only installing wads lol, just do that and uninstall the wad that bricked you like FRanatic said instead of a new sys menu

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
How brickproof is such a solution? I've never before installed wads because I was worried it might go wrong.
Can starfall's rescue menu patch + booting the wad manager through twilight hack solve every wad brick?

w_n_s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the thing that has caused the panic on the WAD front is because a WAD for 0.3 Gamma was released on one of these threads at the weekend. It was compiled by one member on behalf of another member but not tested fully by either. There was an issue with the banner graphic, don't think it was downloaded from the internet fully so was corrupt. People downloaded the WAD and installed it and it caused their Wii's to be banner bricked. The guys who got bricked did not have Starfall installed, nor did they have chips so were stuck.

I for one won't be messing around with WAD's or making my own, so it's not a big worry, however I downgraded to 3.2E and installed Starview, purely for peace of mind.

Heykrop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used the instructions "here" to make the Wadmanager disc as well as an Any Title Deleter disc. With this I can remove anything on the system without need of having a boot.dol on the SD

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We'll have maximum brick protection when BootMii hits the scene.
But yeah, starfall will deal with bannerbricks.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Heykrop said:
I used the instructions "here" to make the Wadmanager disc as well as an Any Title Deleter disc. With this I can remove anything on the system without need of having a boot.dol on the SD
Yeah but you'll need a modchip for this. I was under the impression xtalarge hasn't got one.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
10pwpjc.jpg

Where can I see the full version of your avatar?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait....so you want to PREPARE in case of a brick?

so....you're thinking about how to avoid a brick BEFORE it happens...?

....can I hug you?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
When you get starfall tp hack and extracted any IOS you need and any apps/tools you use etc etc. Put them in a folder and save any topics etc that you needed to help you through things and burn to a dvd for safe keeping.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
wads wont fuck up your wii unless you install wads from other regions than it may or may not brick, or they simply wont work. however the ios wads they can be dangerous

wads of all shapes and sizes can cause problems with your wii

bad IOS (sys) wads (which are actually very rare) will cause a FS problem (usually they just won't install)
~if this happens, bad bad brick, but sometime fixable by same method
bad "Channel" wads (can cause banner brick or alternatively a semi-brick)
~most common, use 3.2 + Starfall + TP-hack and no worries
bad hidden channel (never seen this happen) should just cause the desired function to not work

QUOTE(kedest @ Nov 20 2008, 06:46 AM) How brickproof is such a solution? I've never before installed wads because I was worried it might go wrong.
Can starfall's rescue menu patch + booting the wad manager through twilight hack solve every wad brick?

every banner brick.....see above

also, if you get an opera (out-of-region initial setup failure) brick, starfall will NOT help you,
because it is impossible* to have both starfall and an opera brick at the same time

so at that point you'd need either a SaveMii or a taken-apart GC controller and a modchip,
with starfall (for banner bricks) you need neither

*I guess you could get an opera brick and then use an infectus chip to put starfall on....but that'd be kind of a wasted effort since you already have an infectus.

remember...banner brick with no starfall means chip is required.

no chip? should have been on 3.2 + Starfall + Tp-hack
no exceptions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lmao +1