PS Jailbreak - The first PS3 Modchip

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
This can't possibly cost more than $50 per unit to produce. Quite possibly even less than that. Within six months, there'll be clones for much cheaper.

The tear down of the supposed dongle has a usb connector, a tiny pcb, an asic, and what looks like a capacitor or something. The total cost of this, even in low volumes is probably more in the $20 range or even $10 to be honest. Hell the casing might cost more than the actual components.

tolana

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Regrettably you are way off.

The reason the Wii and NDS are being hacked is because the underlying security architecture is total crap. Why you would start from an unproven and untested PS3 hack, would then translate into a theoretical hack for a platform that doesn't even exist yet is odd. The 3DS probably is based on the same security architecture as the DSi. Since the DSi has not been hacked yet, it will probably be awhile before the 3DS gets hacked as well.

As of fact i dont know so much about the hacking scene of DSi and what you definate as "hack" but there are flashcards to DSi... and imo thats kinda "hacked" but maybe i'm totally wrong. please explain what you mean by it's not hacked.

/tolana

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
lol i can see it now people go out to buy this and ps3 who dont have one. sony comes out with firmware update blocks psjailbreak. psjailbreak comes out with update for newer games. sony says fuck it and starts pulling a microsoft and starts banning people from psn for using it. People get mad and start blaming sony for messing up there system :0

tolana

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe it's just a fucking big scam. think about it. we have not seen any Gameplay videos, why wouldnt they show us that? or just the game menu? for me it's kinda strange that ALL the videos stop at the intro. well i'm still a little skeptical until i see a movie with gameplay.

SpAM_CAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tolana said:
Maybe it's just a fucking big scam. think about it. we have not seen any Gameplay videos, why wouldnt they show us that? or just the game menu? for me it's kinda strange that ALL the videos stop at the intro. well i'm still a little skeptical until i see a movie with gameplay.

Its not strange, most other demos like this for other consoles do the same.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
tolana said:

lol its not scam its already been confimed by alot of well known hackers that it works and places like modchipcentral, ozmodchips are very well known companys for selling modchips they wouldnt sell it it wasnt real. Why would they risk ruining there business or rep?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
NTFS support doesn't exist for Linux.Hello 1998, this is 2010 speaking. Kernel 2.6.0 incorporated NTFS read/write support (a couple YEARS ago), because by then it was deemed stable enough, but they had read-only support in 2.2.0 (back in 1999). Have you just been "slimline" distros that only use older kernels to save space?

Rock Raiyu said:
So...has anyone actually confirmed this working on a retail PS3? And not a debug unit?Yes. Some people think that the units they tested it on were debug units, that was due to two things.

1 - Some people DID test on debug units and reported it not-working, but then they made an update stating it DOES work, and even released a patch to make it work on debug systems.

2 - The dongle sort of puts the PS3 into debug mode so it acts more like a debug system in the videos.

overlord00 said:
no doubt that the "PS Jailbreak" will sell cheaper elsewhere tooExcept that the ~$100 price is what the original company is selling them for, so if any site was to sell them for cheaper they'd be losing money.

QUOTE(dudeonline @ Aug 20 2010, 12:12 PM) Okay, hoss. Still, putting testimonials up before the product is released is pretty shady. You claim they are from "testers" that got this, and in effect, they were not people who bought it from you, or even bought it at all, so it's still false, assuming these are even "real" testimonials.
1 - We have pictures of it.
2 - The pictures are from people and sites that got it early.
3 - So there's people that have it and used it.
4 - People can write reviews and testimonials of devices they have access to and have used.

So exactly WHERE do you get lost on that train of thought? :|
Makes perfect sense to me.

QUOTE(zant @ Aug 20 2010, 01:33 PM)
Son, I am in your situation. But, I'd wait. There is BOUND to be a free release soon. Just wait a little while, and don't update your PS3. By the time this thing actually ships, there will be free ones floating around.
No, because this is not just a damn flash drive with files on it. It's actually-custom hardware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
tolana said:
That doesn't make any sense at all.
The game menus and gameplay are both part of the game.

Getting into gameplay would involve waiting through loading screens and crap that doesn't matter because it's already started the game, because the menus are part of the game and they have already been shown.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tolana said:
QUOTE said:
Regrettably you are way off.

The reason the Wii and NDS are being hacked is because the underlying security architecture is total crap. Why you would start from an unproven and untested PS3 hack, would then translate into a theoretical hack for a platform that doesn't even exist yet is odd. The 3DS probably is based on the same security architecture as the DSi. Since the DSi has not been hacked yet, it will probably be awhile before the 3DS gets hacked as well.

As of fact i dont know so much about the hacking scene of DSi and what you definate as "hack" but there are flashcards to DSi... and imo thats kinda "hacked" but maybe i'm totally wrong. please explain what you mean by it's not hacked.

/tolana

DSi 'compatible' flash carts put it into a lower DS mode, thus allowing all the previous hacking methods to work. Since you are in the lower DS mode you don't have access to all the higher level DSi functionality, like access to the store, the camera, the SD slot, or the increased CPU capacity. If it was possible to run arbitrary code in DSi mode, you'd theoretically be able to run many emulators and media players natively, rather than relying on an external chip for the processing power like the SuperCard 2 does. You'd also would then not need a SD slot on the cart because you could use the one on the DSi instead.

This limitations hasn't been obvious because there are only about 10 games that are actually DSi ONLY (not DSi 'enhanced' which have some DSi features but are not mandatory). And all of those have been shovelware. But if say "Pokemon : The lease on our private island expired and you are going to fund our new one" was announced to be DSi only, we'd all be totally screwed. With the 3DS, Nintendo can obviously make such games 3DS only, and without a way to run arbitrary code in either DSi/3DS mode, you wouldn't be able to play any 3D games with a flashcart.

Of course the lack of DSi hacking might be because there isn't any need for it, or it could be because it's hard. Once the 3DS is released and 3DS Zelda/Pokemon/Metroid/Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts get released, then we'll see if the hackers can set up and make things work.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In the worst case, this will just turn into another DS-Xtreme (it even has flashing leds)
smileipb2.png

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think its fake, or at least I hope that its not fake..because for one thing, if it was fake, why not just release it now..have it in the online stores, people will buy it, throw away their money, then find out the hard way that they were suckered out of their hard earned money. Why wait for another week or a week and a half to release this..plus Modchipcentral.com, its not like they are a phony baloney web site, they are legit, reputable...I doubt they would allow fake garbage to be sold on their site..their site even says you have a 30 day money back guarantee if it does not work so I doubt they would take the risk of having hundreds of people demanding a refund. For 129 bucks its worth it..its still a lot of money but for what it does its worth it..I will just wait a few days after release to get verification from others online who have already received it that it indeed does work

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DigitalDeviant said:
raulpica said:
In the worst case, this will just turn into another DS-Xtreme (it even has flashing leds)
smileipb2.png

Was the "DS-Xtreme" a 1st gen ds flash card or something?
Yup, it actually worked, but it was horribly overpriced ($120) and they promised adding awesome functions (which in the end, they never added).

The team ran away with the money leaving the card unsupported after something like 5 months.

BlackVivi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've requested it on Dealextreme.

Maybe it's possible for them to sell them a little bit cheaper.

I hope Dealextreme doesn't report me to sony for requesting this
tongue.gif

God, I hate germany.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
raulpica said:
DigitalDeviant said:
raulpica said:
smileipb2.png

Was the "DS-Xtreme" a 1st gen ds flash card or something?
Yup, it actually worked, but it was horribly overpriced ($120) and they promised adding awesome functions (which in the end, they never added).

The team ran away with the money leaving the card unsupported after something like 5 months.

I thought you said Ninjapass X9
hate2.gif

Awesome flash card, but having a horrible support

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
Only on GBATemp could there be 50 pages of people still claiming this thing is fake after PSX-SCENE and numerous other major scene sites have confirmed it.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but how did they go bankrupt?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or rather, why?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm about to buy a $200 flash cart
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I have a 256GB card in my 3DS lol
    It's a New 3DS XL so it's still under warranty... If it ever breaks gonna make Nintendo fix it lol You said it was new.... For eternity!!!
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol