PS2 Fat boots FHDB but won't load apps like OPL

Loxtrec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let us know if it worked with the different SATA adapter.
Update: New adapter gave me some progress but I'm still having issues. I was still unable to launch OPL, but I was able to launch FreeHdBoot configurator, which something I was not able to do before. I assumed I just had to configure OPL for FreeHdBoot configurator, and sure enough, it didn't appear that OPL was configured. Unfortunately, after trying to save the configuration, the console just freezes.

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: New adapter gave me some progress but I'm still having issues. I was still unable to launch OPL, but I was able to launch FreeHdBoot configurator, which something I was not able to do before. I assumed I just had to configure OPL for FreeHdBoot configurator, and sure enough, it didn't appear that OPL was configured. Unfortunately, after trying to save the configuration, the console just freezes.
Oh well, I might just have to live with booting from FMCB and not the HDD.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As far as i remember, i had plenty issues with my HDD until i formatted it with WinHIIP. i dont know the name of the format though. Still, with every other way of formatting (like wLaunchElf/uLE) i got problems...

thrashin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Old thread, but I thought I would revive it, as I am experiencing the exact same issue and I am convinced it's the PS2 that has some kind of issue when booted off any HDD with FHDB. What brought me to this conclusion;

Using 2 PS2s - both with SATA adapters fitted:
- One booted FHDB and ran Ulaunchelf and OPL just fine (we'll call this PS2#1)
- The other one, booting FHDB just fine, but black screening when trying to launch any apps like ulaunchelf and OPL (same as the original poster) (this one we'll call PS2#2).

Troubleshooting:
- I took the HDD and adapter from the non-working PS2#2, put it in the working PS2 (PS2#1), and it booted and launched the apps just fine. Put it back in the non-working PS2#2, still didn't work.
- I took the adapter and HDD from the working PS2#1, and put it in the non-working PS2#2 - would not work - boots FHDB, but black screens on a lunching any apps like OPL and unlaunchelf.
- Used FMCB card and MX4SIO in the non-working PS2#2 - and that worked fine, ran OPL and launched games as it should.

It seems that that PS2#2 has something inherent in it that will allow FHDB to boot and get to the menu just fine, but won't launch apps from the HDD with any working HDD and adapter which have been proven to be working in another PS2.

Got me stumped.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old thread, but I thought I would revive it, as I am experiencing the exact same issue and I am convinced it's the PS2 that has some kind of issue when booted off any HDD with FHDB. What brought me to this conclusion;

Using 2 PS2s - both with SATA adapters fitted:
- One booted FHDB and ran Ulaunchelf and OPL just fine (we'll call this PS2#1)
- The other one, booting FHDB just fine, but black screening when trying to launch any apps like ulaunchelf and OPL (same as the original poster) (this one we'll call PS2#2).

Troubleshooting:
- I took the HDD and adapter from the non-working PS2#2, put it in the working PS2 (PS2#1), and it booted and launched the apps just fine. Put it back in the non-working PS2#2, still didn't work.
- I took the adapter and HDD from the working PS2#1, and put it in the non-working PS2#2 - would not work - boots FHDB, but black screens on a lunching any apps like OPL and unlaunchelf.
- Used FMCB card and MX4SIO in the non-working PS2#2 - and that worked fine, ran OPL and launched games as it should.

It seems that that PS2#2 has something inherent in it that will allow FHDB to boot and get to the menu just fine, but won't launch apps from the HDD with any working HDD and adapter which have been proven to be working in another PS2.

Got me stumped.
Sounds like the 2nd has a modchip, it's most likely the one that's causing this. Iirc you can disable the modchip on boot, for Matrix modchips you do that by holding "start" on boot until it shows "modchip disabled". Not sure about other models, if it didn't work means you pro have a diff model, you can Google about other modchips and what button can get them disabled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl