PSP-4000 announced; IT PLAYS PS2 GAMES?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they did, I hope they put a built-in camera, half the L & R buttons so it can have L2 and R2, add an Extra Analog nub, and then make them clickable(L3 & R3), downloadable PS2 games, and hot damn, we have the best handheld ever.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kill myself if real.
happy.gif

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But wait a minute, why would they announce one so soon when the 3000 was just released? This is kinda fishy here.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
HOLY SHIT

QFT!

Yeah, if it can play PS2 games, that should give Sony the competitive edge alongside the DS Sony has probably been desperately seeking.

I was planning on purchasing a PSP next year (after the `ole tax refund comes in), so this is awesome timing for me.
yaypsp.gif

(if accurate)

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I thought this was a joke, but then I realized that EOF's posts don't appear on the latest discussions box anymore...
blink.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
War said:
You guys should take this news article very lightly... although it does actually make sense for the new PSP to be able to emulate the PS2, this is the ONLY NEWS SOURCE that had the announcement of the PSP-4k listed. I looked on QJ, Kotaku, Siliconera, etc etc and ConsoleSpot was the only site that had any details about this. For all we know, it could be fake.

tl;dr Wait until another reliable site lists the announcement of the PSP4k before you start speculating.

And the Nintendo DSi can Emulate GBA games, amirite?

We've been trolled

Also, it's being called fake over at ConsoleSpot.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because in the week since people called bullshit on the 3000 screens Sony has managed to put together a BRAND NEW SYSTEM. Please, some logical thinking is required here. Are they making a 4000? Obviously they are, is it this batshit crazy portable ps2 theory? Fuck no. The 4000 are likely to be the same as the 3000 with a new screen. ESPECIALLY if they're announcing it so shortly after the fucked up the 3000.

You should all know by now the only people who pull consoles out of their asses are Sega. And they haven't done that trick since they got console cancer.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shabadage said:
Yes, because in the week since people called bullshit on the 3000 screens Sony has managed to put together a BRAND NEW SYSTEM. Please, some logical thinking is required here. Are they making a 4000? Obviously they are, is it this batshit crazy portable ps2 theory? Fuck no. The 4000 are likely to be the same as the 3000 with a new screen. ESPECIALLY if they're announcing it so shortly after the fucked up the 3000.

You should all know by now the only people who pull consoles out of their asses are Sega. And they haven't done that trick since they got console cancer.
The PS3 has gone through how many revisions now?

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think the normal Psp can play ps2 games with a mere firmware update, you need to send me some of what you're smoking.

cosmo2389

Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
My Biggest Question:

Are they going to add a second control stick?

Without it, many PS2 games would be affected (Katamari Damacy, KH2, etc)...
Also, aren't PS2 games relatively large? Like around 3-4GB? You would almost have to have a Memory Stick per game to be able to utilize the PS2 playing function.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiyu245 said:
Shabadage said:
If you think the normal Psp can play ps2 games with a mere firmware update, you need to send me some of what you're smoking.
What're you talking about? This is a hardware revision, not a firmware update..

They aren't going to change the psp-3000 internals. That's how many hundreds of thousands of units they'd have to toss out? They'll replace the screen, call it the 4000, and that's it. Unless you seriously believe that Sony has managed to create completely new hardware in a week to respond to the 3000's shortcomings. (I don't believe it at all).

And yes, something like this would involve COMPLETELY new hardware. The processor would have to be massively upgraded to even run PS2 games natively, never mind emulation. The internal RAM would need to be increased, they'd have to either create a gfx wrapper to translate Ps2 GPU commands into psp gpu commands, or completely replace the PSP GPU with a PS2 GPU. Which would require a complete redesign of the PS2 GPU hardware.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol, this could be a hillarious disaster like the PSP 3k, or it could be a really big hit.

Either way, it is a good concept, personally one that I feel should've been incorporated with the PSP 2k, but whatever. I never had a PS2, if this is any good then I may get one somewhere down the line to remedy that little problem. Overall, it all depends upon its hack ability.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cosmo2389 said:
Also, aren't PS2 games relatively large? Like around 3-4GB? You would almost have to have a Memory Stick per game to be able to utilize the PS2 playing function.
Not to mention, you would need a pretty good net connection to download it in a relatively small space of time.

I still think this is just a minor fix to the 3000s, not a PS2Portable or anything. But it does make sense. Why else would Sony get rid of PS2-compatibility in their PS3? >_>;

Also:

"What's unusual about this move is that it follows the release of Sony's new console, the PSP-3000, which hit the shelves less than a month ago. Speculators believe that this sooner than expected update was made by Sony in an attempt to give it a competitive advantage over Nintendo's new DSi."

You know, I was under the impression that's exactly what the 3000 was for. Or maybe it was the other way around...=P

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Bull. No source for one thing. second, How the h*** is the PSP supposed to cope with the graphics of the PS2? Remakes I can imagine. Those? No. And third, Where does the game fit? On one of their lowly umds? On a giant memory stick? No chance.

aznvienna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, they'll have to add a second control stick, L1, and R2
Can they upgrade the psp that much and also emulate ps2 games? :wtf:
Maybe they'll just add a plug in for the ps2 controller, add lots of bulk, and probably be the size of a ps2
but then again its still impossible to do that much in such a short release date or wer they planning on it a long time ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo