Homebrew Q2Rev and the Eraser Bot Mod for Quake 2.

Yyhhggtt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q2Rev is a good engine for Wii but... Eraser Bot Mod is one things I would find fun... Eraser Bot Mod is Quake 2 mod which adds bot support in Quake 2... I'm wondering if Q2Rev supports it and is it easy installion? Please... I love fighting bots... Just Google Eraser Bot Mod to look for it...

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lithium Mod would make Multiplayer 10x more fun.

Q2 DM was pretty stellar as is, but the Lithium mod made it much faster and higher paced. This would be a great addition as well.

I am hoping the MLook issues are sorted out in the next revision, as I can't stand to play it as is.
dry.gif

In response to your question; I don't know that anyone has tried it, so why don't you install it and see what happens.

Yyhhggtt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welll... the eraser mod comes with two folders... baseq2 containing "players" folder, then outside of the baseq2 folder there is a Eraser folder containing all the Eraser Mod stuff...

I fused them both, then with Wii's baseq2 with my pak0.pak and pak1.pak, but it just loads up normal quake... no mod... how do you install a quake 2 mod? xD I'm quite new to quake enginiring.... Oh, and in the Eraser Folder, it has a pak5.pak file... if that helps...

Here is my questions though:
-How do I install a mod (is it simply extract it to Quake's folder?)
-How to I run the mod?
-And is mods compatible with Q2Rev?

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yyhhggtt said:
Here is my questions though:
-How do I install a mod (is it simply extract it to Quake's folder?)
-How to I run the mod?
-And is mods compatible with Q2Rev?
Installing a mod is nothing more than extracting the directory to within your quake2 folder typically, however the problem arises with getting Q2Rev to execute it. Mods are typically run through the command-line when launching the game. I am not sure how we would accomplish this without disassembling the source. You could try the console (In game), open it up with ~ (Tilde) and try "-game eraser" or something to that effect. It seems at this point its too early to tell if mods are compatible. You may have better luck communicating with the coder.

Yyhhggtt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just figured out that Mods do work on Q2Rev, any! But... Not all the commands are implented into the engine... this is what I did...

Installed Eraser Mod by moving the eraser folder to the root of the SD card...
Loaded up Q2Rev, and did this cmd, "game eraser", and this what happened...

"game eraser"
Added one pak file, "SD:\Eraser\pak7.pak"
Unknown command "vid_restart"

I think that "vid_restart" is to restart the engine, and load up, pak0.pak, pak1.pak, pak7.pak, and other.

Only "vid_restart" is needed... ORR... Add a pre DOS command file to tell the Q2Rev what to load and that...

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good Progress!!
grog.gif

What that command does is 'restart' the video display, so it has to reload all of the textures for the game, including any new ones implemented with the mod. Again, I think it may be easier to somehow pass the '-game ' command in the .dol file, that way it will load the mod WITH the game, and any/all appropriate textures. All of which you have mentioned already...
Again, a good find. If the developer has no interest in heading this route... I would consider attempting to mod the .dol file myself, however I have no experience with the matter.

If it turns out all of this is possible, I would happily attempt to serve a game from my PC. I wonder if Q2Rev can connect to the PC servers, or if it will require some tweaking...

Yyhhggtt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no experience either... But I might get learning... Hmm... Maybe I should place the Mod to baseq2? But the only problem... Will it load pak7.pak? might give a ago... (might give a graphics error...) but the thing is, the mod dosnt support like the org quake menu and that... I need to tell the game to load up eraser and set the map to a supported map with the bot... Might work...Might not... I'll tell you the "how to run" thing...

---------------------
Load up the DOS promo (in your quake folder)
Type this cmd, "quake2 +set game eraser +set map {supported map}"
then once standing by in the arena, type this cmd on the console, "bot_num X" (X = # of bots to spawn, to set bot stuff, edit the bot.cfg file)
Have fun!!
----------------

Hmm... Just a preloading DOS command when booting up the .dol... Not hard?
I'll try out the putting the mod into the baseq2 folder... I'll report back if I can.

P.S. I wonder why the online DMing not working... only pings the LAN servers... not internet... may need to wait for QuakeWorld2Rev?

Hmm! A bit of success! I think... It seems to know the bot_num X cmd... but no bots show up... I think it might because it might be an unsupported level... I need one of the recommended levels... but... The URL was taking down.... and the players folder i forgot to add.... I'll search for those...

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The "+set map {supported map}" command should be a simple one to run from the console, as its not requiring anything other than the map to be found. Again, all the difficulty seems to be in either A) Getting the game to load the mod from the launch, or B) Successfully launching the mod from the already started game.

I haven't had a chance to mess around with the Multiplayer at all, although I am very eager to try it. (Currently painting/remodelling my basement, so Wii has taken an unfortunate backseat). I can see the Quake 2 multiplayer being extremely fun, if it ever gets support. Apparently you and I are the only two with any interest in the matter
hate2.gif
QUOTE said:
Hmm... Just a preloading DOS command when booting up the .dol... Not hard?
Really? How do we do this...

Once I get some time to sit down at home, I will attempt to look into this a bit more and maybe together we can create some solutions...

Yyhhggtt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well... The mod dose work... But no bots show up... It knows the "bot_num X" cmd, I'm a bit worried.... .DLL files are only for Windows... And it requires the .dll file... I'll try a Linux mod, or yet a simpler mod... I wish the author of this would be intrested...

QUOTE said:
Modifications can't be added due to the Wii lacking DLL support.
To do this, you'd need to have to write some sort of virtual library support.. too
much for a Wii port methinks.

-P

We may have to port one of the open source bots to the wii.... saddly...... whats this gamei386.so file in the linux mods?

Yyhhggtt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Dead thread?
Anyway, I told the author of the engine to maybe complie the open source AceBot into the engine... He said its on his todo list, so we may have to wait a while...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night