Dark^'^Knigh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

I've lifted this from another site, because I'm interested to know what it says:

R4はSDHCに対応できないと思う。
_DS_MENU.DATを探し出せていないのに、_DS_MENU.DATをいくら書き換えようが無駄。
CPLDは書き換えられないんじゃないかなぁ。

Clearly interested because R4 SDHC is not possible (as far as we know). Maybe that's what is says....Any ideas?

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
Google says:
QUOTE said:
R4 SDHC is unable to cope with it.
_DS_MENU.DAT????that they did not, _ DS_MENU.DAT be rewritten to how much waste.
CPLD am I think it is not rewritten.
They're probably saying that they cannot add SDHC support because they'd have to re-write the CPLD which cannot be done on the DS.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it has been established that SDHC support is a hardware issue. The R4 uses a loader for a firmware, it doesn't actually change anything in the hardware, it's just software, so it's not possible in the R4's current configuration to ever support SDHC. But it seems to me that they could release an SDHC version of the R4 if they wanted to add SDHC support to the current design of the R4 itself. All they have to do is make the freakin' card slot see an SDHC card in hardware. SDHC standards mandate that it MUST support the old SD standard too, so you could run either-or.

All the available skins wouldn't have to change, the loader (firmware) SHOULDN'T have to change, since the SDHC stuff is all hardware. They wouldn't have to change anything else.

I'm no programmer, I couldn't program a bat file without a lot of examples and copy-and-pasting and whatnot, so maybe there's some critical piece of info I'm not aware of, but it should be just that easy as far as I can tell. Why they haven't done that is beyond me, so it MUST be some kind of programming reason why they haven't done it yet or, I would think, they would have done it by now. Possibly the loader (or firmware, if you insist on calling it that) is limited to a 2gig max environment, I don't know, but it SEEMS like it SHOULD be possible to be done just that easily with a simple hardware change.

If the R4 team would release an SDHC version of the R4, I'd buy it simply because I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of DL'ing new skins and other various utilities for another flashcart. I don't need all the other features other newer generation cards have. They would be nice, yes, but not expected in an SDHC version of the R4, especially if it could just use the exact same loader (or firmware) that the old version used.

I'm more inclined to believe that the R4 team has just lost interest in the project and are considering the R4 to be at its end-of-life stage and besides releasing critical-game compatibility updates, they really don't care anymore. Possibly all the extra attention the R4 has been getting as a pirate device is also hampering their efforts.

There have been rumors of an SDHC version of the R4 floating around for awhile now, but there is still no SDHC R4. I don't think it will ever happen.

Dark^'^Knigh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for that guys, I thought as much.

It came from Yasu's homepage, so it raised my curiousity somewhat. I hadn't been there before, but my limited knowledge tells me he's a "mover & shaker" when it comes to DS program development, etc.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yahoo babel fish trans says

QUOTE said:
As for R4 you think that it cannot correspond to SDHC. Although _DS_MENU.DAT is not found, _DS_MENU.DAT how much will be rewritten, but it is wasteful. CPLD is not rewritten, whether it is it is not.

using jap to eng trans but remember its not always a great translation!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk