Hacking received fake dstt from dealextreme

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to DX (and the other thread on this topic) the "fake" DSTT isn't really fake at all. It's simply manufactured by a different group. The notice about the fakes was put out by the manufacturer of the "old" cart in order to help sell out their inventory. I don't know if that's true or not, but it would mean that the "new" carts should function just fine. The only question is whether or not it will continue to be supported in the future.

Here is the other thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1363193

-Bri

aero125

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Count Duckula, the official DSTT website warning risks is still there (only seen in the Chinese site). Nobody can say for certain that the official DSTT's delcaration of risks in the fakes is not credible.

Regardless what the supplier to DX has reported and claimed, the original DSTT is not recognising the "gold dot" company for certain. I choose to believe the manufacturer than a "nameless" supplier ( I mean the supplier to DX ).

The faked cart cost $20, your console cost many times more. You will have to use it at your own risk ....

I have already sent mine back ......

Count Duckula said:
I just received a (fake) cart from DX.

Seems to work fine, Ill use it as my main cart for a week or 2 to test it then keep it as a spare as intended.

I'm kind of pissed that I got a fake, and distributors saying the fakes are hard to spot is BS:
-the packaging was missing the (I guess subtle) blue colour completely (holding a real and fake box side by side it is obvious)
-there were white specks in the black which my 'real' cart's box did not have.
-no gold sticker like on the cart like the original I have (don't know if all had this)
-the border around the edge of the cart where it joins is also different.
-and of course the mentioned markings near the connectors and dot near the microsd slot

Having said that, if it keeps working then I guess Ill keep it. It was $20 and despite 'the principle', my time and hassle in returning it is more than likely worth more than that to me.

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HI... I got 12 dstt cards from DX... so far 1 of them is not working at all, it never did, I am sure it is not the microSD neither the NDSL... I am using in all of the cards V1.17 of TTOS menu... aside from that single card all of them worked fine, no problems at all...

I bought one from DX almost a year ago, I thought it was real, but now I am not sure, but I have to say it works as fine as the first time with many diferent TTOS versions no problems at all...

What is really worrying me is the "Fake killer" anyone knows when it is going to be online?

TomMannCenturia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you read comments on Dealextremes own forum you will see some dispute about the cards authenticity, It isnt great practice on Dxs part, but flash cards themselves are "iffy" by their very nature. So buying the CHEAPEST card may not always be the best policy. Incidentally I bought a TT from them, and is probably fake but It does work, even with 1.17 firmware, still wouldnt be my first choice of CHEAP card though.

I got an Edge for 15 dollars which does the job nicely (and is a clone of a great card the CycloDS) and an AK2.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got 2 batches of cards off Deal Extreme - the first batch was fake , the next was genuine.
The more recent ones seem to be the genuine ones , but even if you get the fake , all you need to do is keep them on firmware 1.15 and they work fine - dont use 1.16

If you have put them on 1.16 and they have died , theres a recovery .nds game that works great called fakerecovery.nds - you run it on a DS card that works , it asks you to replace the card with the fake DS one , you replace it and press A and it fixes the issue - then you downgrade to 1.15 and all is well again.

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
I got 2 batches of cards off Deal Extreme - the first batch was fake , the next was genuine.
The more recent ones seem to be the genuine ones , but even if you get the fake , all you need to do is keep them on firmware 1.15 and they work fine - dont use 1.16

If you have put them on 1.16 and they have died , theres a recovery .nds game that works great called fakerecovery.nds - you run it on a DS card that works , it asks you to replace the card with the fake DS one , you replace it and press A and it fixes the issue - then you downgrade to 1.15 and all is well again.

This is the thing... Have you seen the fake killer video right?... well I am running V1.17 from ndstt.com on my "fake" card and it runs OK... no died card whatsoever ... so... what does V1.16 really do with the card?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It takes about 6 hours of play and the cards go bright white - it happened on 3 of the original cards i had - i uploaded my own video to show them on deal extreme and they offered to take them back from me - they are pretty good.

Then i found the fakekiller fixer nds file and the fake tester nds file and after that i was all sorted again.

It doesnt kill it straight away which is prob the worst part - it takes a while.

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz... first of all thank you for your real useful information... tell you what I just did... I downloaded the fakerecovery tool... tried it just as the instructions says it worked right away... now my "dead" fake card is working for the first time (what it was doing was freezing up the ds before it shows the firmware precaution screen... it only happened when the microsd was in) ... now it is working ok even with V1.17 (since I erased the previous, my bad...), I will give it some fire and let see what happens. Thank you once again...

And just to make it clear... you mean that it will take up to 6 hours of continuous gameplay for the card to brick again=? or what do you really mean... thanks

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aruek_ca18det said:
I bought one from DX almost a year ago, I thought it was real, but now I am not sure

If it's that old, I would guess it's real. I don't think fakes were out quite that long ago. At least no one had started complaining about them yet.

jjgp08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cyclods-evolution.com
XP
Country
Try looking for an online retailer that doesn't sell fakes!
wink2.gif

Hitcher

Trophies
XP
Country
aruek_ca18det said:
This is the thing... Have you seen the fake killer video right?... well I am running V1.17 from ndstt.com on my "fake" card and it runs OK... no died card whatsoever ... so... what does V1.16 really do with the card?
Have you actually run the Fake Checker and confirmed it's a fake?

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hitcher said:
aruek_ca18det said:
Have you actually run the Fake Checker and confirmed it's a fake?

If it runs on v1.17 and doesn't die, there's a chance that it's not even a fake.
Click Here to download the DSTT Flash Checker and a few other useful tools for the DSTT. Run dsttflashchecker.nds on your "fake" DSTT. It tells you whether it's a fake or not, and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, here is what I did... yesterday I recovered the card with the recover tool it worked fine with V1.17 for about 1 hour.. then it started to die, worked intermittently. I recovered it once again and same thing happened. Today I ran the fake checker tool and turns out it is good, but physically it has all the spots that make it a fake. So what I did was replaced the .DAT file of the official firmware with .DAT file with the fake-killer function disabled. Right know it is working fine... but... later in on I will let you know what happens next. I have to mention that I got 12 DSTT and only one of them is giving me problems, and it did at the first try... the others are still working with official V1.17 with boys that really play a lot so... I dont know, maybe I have hardware problems with this particular card.

Thanks for your comments I really appreciate them.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are a few fake DSTT's that report "good" even though they're fake. It sounds like you have one of those. If you can tell whether the microSD holder is straight or curved you can tell if it's fake also: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1584543

Just use the fake-killer disabled firmware. If you end up having similar problems with the fake-killer disabled firmware, you probably have hardware problems.

-Bri

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok ... so far the card is performing very well it haven't fail at all after the fourth recovery and V1.17 with fake-killer disabled... I will keep using it and I'll tell you how it goes...

Now there is something weird here... why only one of the 12 I bought was affected by the fake-killer?... anyway... lets give it some more gameplay time and we will see... thanks

EDIT

FYI... just to let you know... I've been playing guitar hero with the "recovered" card for a will, enough to compare it with the previous behavior in which it failed constantly and freeze the NDSL, so far no problems to report. I´m running on V1.17 with the .DAT file hacked. Sure I will let you know if any problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.