ante80

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
The Patchmii code inside it did have to be modified to allow it to update the system menu, so I doubt it should be added.

But does it alter the system menu in any way? Isn't the menu installed exactly the same as on Nintendo servers?

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
ante80 said:
Dr. Clipper said:
The Patchmii code inside it did have to be modified to allow it to update the system menu, so I doubt it should be added.

But does it alter the system menu in any way? Isn't the menu installed exactly the same as on Nintendo servers?

Its the same as on Nintendos servers minus the crap...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
G0dLiKe said:
ante80 said:
Dr. Clipper said:

Its the same as on Nintendos servers minus the crap...
You're talking about the update, he's talking about the system menu. And yes, the system menu is completely unmodified from the servers, as are all of the IOSes.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
zektor said:
bazamuffin said:
MagusDraco said:
That's weird.

It didn't update to 4.2

It didn't brick, but somewhere along the way it failed. I already had the shop channel v17 and that's where it was last I looked before it went back to the HBC.

System Menu's at 4.1U still.

Ive been trying for last 24 hrs (approx 20 attempts) and at various points I get 'hash bad' error. The app clearly works and people seem happy, so I have to put it down to N servers being shite or ISP severely throttling bandwidth at peak times.

You can always try the offline install in my guide if you cannot get a good connection.

Got it all packed and ready to install after I finish work. Do we have any news on StartPatch 4.2E? Alot of ambiguity regarding Preloader 0.29 and 4.2E hacks, can anyone confirm compatibilty? Only want the hacks so either is fine with me.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
markehmus said:
if i use you guide here will the region free of my wiikey still work 1ce on 4.2u?

i looked around alot and no clear answer to this.
honors go to v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater (bigger honour if he can fix the region free of the wiikey too!

okay i have darkwii installed in 4.2u and evrything looks good but the wiikey region free is still DEAD

this is better then Waninkoko, better then using the nintendo wii update function, no upside down HBC, no error to install wads or apps..as i said darkwii4.2u with mymenuify2.2 installed great.

credit stev418 for darkwii4.2u

cios38rev14 useing 249 installed via wifi fine as well

hunting challenge_pal region ...loads fine with gecko1091 force NTSC so the flipping of the screen stops

wiikey update blocker fails,wiikey config disk1.3 freezes wii on selection of ''wiikey_config''
preloader bitches about no fake signed 36...
bootmii is all good, wiikey still loads my region of wiisports_Resort_ntsc

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of us know very little about the wiikey. I did not enter the scene until softmodding was a reality
smile.gif

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markehmus said:
if i use you guide here will the region free of my wiikey still work 1ce on 4.2u?

Probably not.

I've heard some people have success by using DOP IOS and then trucha patching IOS70. But...well...not sure if that'll actually work.

So best to let someone else be a guinea pig and stay on 4.1

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markehmus said:
markehmus said:

honors go to v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater (bigger honour if he can fix the region free of the wiikey too!

okay i have darkwii installed in 4.2u and evrything looks good but the wiikey region free is still DEAD

this is better then Waninkoko, better then using the nintendo wii update function, no upside down HBC, no error to install wads or apps..as i said darkwii4.2u with mymenuify2.2 installed great.

credit stev418 for darkwii4.2u

cios38rev14 useing 249 installed via wifi fine as well

hunting challenge_pal region ...loads fine with gecko1091 force NTSC so the flipping of the screen stops

wiikey update blocker fails,wiikey config disk1.3 freezes wii on selection of ''wiikey_config''
preloader bitches about no fake signed 36...
bootmii is all good, wiikey still loads my region of wiisports_Resort_ntsc

To make preloader stop bitching you'll probably have to patch 36 with a fakesigned one using DOP IOS v8 or DOP IOS mod v6

To make the region free stuff work on your wiikey....I have no clue if this will actually work, but try sig hash patching IOS 70 with dop ios too.

If it works, sweet. If not....well...crap..you'll have to just use gecko OS for region free games now since nintendo is hating on the wiikey with this update.

Vegeta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I upgraded from 3.3E to 4.0E with Waninkoko's Updater a few months ago and have been away from the Wii scene.

Will this Safe 4.2 Updater overwrite ALL of the trucha signed IOS's that the 4.0 Wanin updater installed and all I need to do is use Dop-IOS to patch IOS70 with ES_Identify or shall I restore my Wii back to 3.3E firmware with BootMii and then use the safe updater?

Will I lose any ability of my Wii playing backups using this method?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
bowser said:
zektor said:
For now I am just recommending that anyone with a region hacked console NOT update. The goal here is not to brick consoles
smile.gif
I have only heard of Korean consoles doing this myself as well, but better safe than sorry. If you do have say a NTSC-J console hacked to NTSC-U and boot2 bootmii installed with nand backup...and want to try....I would like to know how you made out on the update.
Yeah, I have BootMii on boot2. NAND backup is pretty old though. Will take a fresh backup and then update using your guide tonight. I'll post back on the results.
Well, I safely updated to 4.2U using the offline version of your guide on my region hacked wii! All homebrew apps are working. Even pirated VC/WW are working even though I didn't dop IOS 70. I had to install IOS 36 v1042 though because AnyRegionChanger was giving an error at startup.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vegeta said:
I upgraded from 3.3E to 4.0E with Waninkoko's Updater a few months ago and have been away from the Wii scene.

Will this Safe 4.2 Updater overwrite ALL of the trucha signed IOS's that the 4.0 Wanin updater installed and all I need to do is use Dop-IOS to patch IOS70 with ES_Identify or shall I restore my Wii back to 3.3E firmware with BootMii and then use the safe updater?

Will I lose any ability of my Wii playing backups using this method?

You will not lose your ability to play backups. That is half the reason it is called "safe"
smile.gif
Unlike Nintendo's updater, this will NOT overwrote your current cIOS installations.

Yes, it will overwrite all of your trucha IOSes with official ones. Then just use DOP-IOS to patch IOS70 (if you wish). Done!

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bowser said:
Well, I safely updated to 4.2U using the offline version of your guide on my region hacked wii! All homebrew apps are working. Even pirated VC/WW are working even though I didn't dop IOS 70. I had to install IOS 36 v1042 though because AnyRegionChanger was giving an error at startup.

Pirated VC/Wiiware will work when installed to nand. The trucha of IOS70 is so that you can move them to SD and launch them from there as well. It is not necessary to trucha IOS70, but if you do not you'll get an error when you try to boot (pirated) vc/wiiware that has been moved to the SD card.

Use DOP-IOS MOD v6 instead, so that you can install the *latest* IOS36 and trucha/es_identify. V1042 is quiite old
smile.gif
Also, use Anyregionchanger MOD 6b.

Babajela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thanks a lot for this nice updater. I went safely from 3.2 E to 4.2 E. Took me two tries though as it seems something went wrong with the wifi on the first try. I also trucha patched the IOS 70 after the update and it works very well, can move channels from Wii to the SD card and back.

One question though: After all this business, and not having an option to install starfall or preloader (as far as I understand the current version is not compatible with 4.2), I can not force my console to not look for updates. So, popping Drawn to Life the Next Chapter into my Wii after I successfully upadted to 4.2 resulted in the disc channel telling me I have to install the update. Of course I didn't, I ripped the game with USB loader and it works like a charm (also I made another copy, deleting the update with Wiu and that also works without any problems), but I am surprised it actually tells me I need to update. Is this because of the trucha patched IOS 70 or do you have any ideas?

Either way, not too big a deal since I play most games from a USB drive, but it'd be nice to get a comment from someone who knows about this more than I do.

Thanks again for this very much idiot friendly updater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even want to update but having it all on a plate like this was too much of a temptation.

Vegeta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zektor said:
You will not lose your ability to play backups. That is half the reason it is called "safe"
smile.gif
Unlike Nintendo's updater, this will NOT overwrote your current cIOS installations.

Yes, it will overwrite all of your trucha IOSes with official ones. Then just use DOP-IOS to patch IOS70 (if you wish). Done!

Thanks for the info. BTW, will I also need to patch IOS36?

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Babajela said:
Thanks a lot for this nice updater. I went safely from 3.2 E to 4.2 E. Took me two tries though as it seems something went wrong with the wifi on the first try. I also trucha patched the IOS 70 after the update and it works very well, can move channels from Wii to the SD card and back.

One question though: After all this business, and not having an option to install starfall or preloader (as far as I understand the current version is not compatible with 4.2), I can not force my console to not look for updates. So, popping Drawn to Life the Next Chapter into my Wii after I successfully upadted to 4.2 resulted in the disc channel telling me I have to install the update. Of course I didn't, I ripped the game with USB loader and it works like a charm (also I made another copy, deleting the update with Wiu and that also works without any problems), but I am surprised it actually tells me I need to update. Is this because of the trucha patched IOS 70 or do you have any ideas?

Either way, not too big a deal since I play most games from a USB drive, but it'd be nice to get a comment from someone who knows about this more than I do.

Thanks again for this very much idiot friendly updater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even want to update but having it all on a plate like this was too much of a temptation.

Just install a IOS70 that ahs ES Identify patch thing enabled. install preloader 0.29 JODI. Enable block disc updates hack done.

I believe all thats needed is in the simplistic mod in the sticky's.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vegeta said:
zektor said:
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. BTW, will I also need to patch IOS36?

Only if you use StartPatch (it needs IOS36 patched to run).

For the other post about blocking updates, I *highly* recommend StartPatch v4.2. It's very safe and works great!

Babajela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
zektor said:
For the other post about blocking updates, I *highly* recommend StartPatch v4.2. It's very safe and works great!

Yep, read up on that one, would love to use it if someone kindly makes a E/PAL version. I'm afraid that the USA version wouldn't really work on my console.

mattjd: thanks for the tip, I'd rather use StartPatch over JODI preloader if possible as it is my understanding that StartPatch is safer and (which is more important to an idiot like me) - easier to install. But let's see if some kind soul ports StartPatch v4.2 to PAL
smileipb2.png
It goes without saying that I know next to nothing about coding and that I am totally dependent on good people using their free time to produce hacks that make my free time more relaxed.

On that note, thanks again to all, especially zektor. You made my day, buddy.

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, great work. Unfortunately the 4.2 Safe Firmware Updater didn't update my 4.1E system menu.

I'd already installed the v17 Shopping Channel and the updated IOSs.

When I ran the updater it correctly identified my PAL system. I've checked the IOS versions installed against the guide and they are correct. The v17 PAL Shopping Channel is also still working.

As all the IOSs appear in place and I've taken a nand backup I'll follow the guide and try installing the 4.2E system menu, by hand, using wad manager.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
markehmus said:

About the Wiikey, have you ever used the config DVD??

Look here for your region: http://www.wiikey.cn/en/legacy/

I know I had issues reading it on 3.4 but hopefully trucha signing IOS70 will be able to read it. I can't remember how I got it to read (I think I used some GC emulator or something) but make sure the region override is ON.

After some googling, you need GCOS bootdisc but this is old and can't find it. I can only find a link for PAL: http://rapidshare.com/files/58432677/gcos_1.3_pal.zip.html

^^ That is really old so, yeah.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BBking83 said:
markehmus said:

About the Wiikey, have you ever used the config DVD??

Look here for your region: http://www.wiikey.cn/en/legacy/

I know I had issues reading it on 3.4 but hopefully trucha signing IOS70 will be able to read it. I can't remember how I got it to read (I think I used some GC emulator or something) but make sure the region override is ON.

After some googling, you need GCOS bootdisc but this is old and can't find it. I can only find a link for PAL: http://rapidshare.com/files/58432677/gcos_1.3_pal.zip.html

^^ That is really old so, yeah.

MagusDraco said:
To make preloader stop bitching you'll probably have to patch 36 with a fakesigned one using DOP IOS v8 or DOP IOS mod v6
haha thats just a brick outcome.. been there and had to ''restoremii''

yeah i posted it freezes the wii as wiikey configuration is selected, dont bother

To make the region free stuff work on your wiikey....I have no clue if this will actually work, but try sig hash patching IOS 70 with dop ios too.
is my next attempt but will be a waste i bet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU