Report - Video Games At Risk For Another Crash

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ok let's see...

- Day 1 On-disc DLC.
- Favor online instead of local multiplayer (Not everyone wants that).
- Restrictions and contracts up the butt, where they can remove features you paid for or even take your games away.
- Homogenization of games.
- Too many "me too" games trying to "Get the Call of Duty audience".
- Casuals are moving to mobile gaming and Facebook gaming (i.e Look at Nintendo with the WiiU).
- Games are 60$ instead of 50$ (For some... That's a deal breaker).
- No real graphic improvement. The only improvement that we can hope for is a real more interactive environment.
- THE CLOUD THE CLOUD THE CLOUD THE CLOUD!!!! WE WON'T LOSE UR SAVES MAN HONEST! :) RETROCOMPAT? WUSSAT? ;P
- DRM that hurts the actual consumer and not pirates.
- 6 hour long, repetitive, unfun games.
- HUGE Dev costs... (I wanted to make a game and the minimum was 80k).
- So.. uh... Do you mind like... Going online to prove to us that you're not a pirate or some shit? Mind leaving the 100$ camera on while you're at it? No no, we won't spy on you or anything! Advertisements? That's just a smear campaign man. We'd NEVER do that!
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!!! (Except this and this and this and this and this... *time skip* and this).
- 60$ worth of DLC.
- No end-game content or unlockables save for some collectibles that don't really do anything.
- No fun cheat codes that aren't DLC (I'm looking at you Dead Rising), with Saints Row 2/3 being the exception.

And much more. Anyone surprised that people WANT this ship to crash and burn? I'm not.

On PC, you can get rid of all these restrictions and add pretty much anything you want by modding the game or applying a patch... You don't even HAVE to pirate the game to do that.

I wonder why oh why I hear more people going PC this next gen than buying the PS4 or Spyboned?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(note: I barely read any comment...sorry if I repeat things)
article said:
...with 79 percent of gamers already owning a console
Am I the only one who thinks this number is ridiculously LOW? One out of five people who call themselves gamers don't have a console? Really???? If you count previous gens, they're well within the budget of...well, everyone. I don't want to bash board & card gamers, but c'mon...no console?

Don't get me wrong...I do believe there will be a video game crash, but it'll be mostly a crash on the current model (meaning: 60 bucks for a million-dollar development cost that isn't even a fun game). It certainly won't be that people will somehow stop gaming.
And that article is showing exactly the wrong data to back up their claims (more digital purchases and mobile gaming than in 2000? YOU WOULDN'T SAY!!!). The golden age of consoles may be over, but gaming on a pc (especially if you count smartphones, tablets, laptops and handhelds) compensate for that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Am I the only one who thinks this number is ridiculously LOW? One out of five people who call themselves gamers don't have a console? Really???? If you count previous gens, they're well within the budget of...well, everyone. I don't want to bash board & card gamers, but c'mon...no console?

Don't get me wrong...I do believe there will be a video game crash, but it'll be mostly a crash on the current model (meaning: 60 bucks for a million-dollar development cost that isn't even a fun game). It certainly won't be that people will somehow stop gaming.
And that article is showing exactly the wrong data to back up their claims (more digital purchases and mobile gaming than in 2000? YOU WOULDN'T SAY!!!). The golden age of consoles may be over, but gaming on a pc (especially if you count smartphones, tablets, laptops and handhelds) compensate for that.

If gamers count non-video game people then do realize the amount of traditional game players is huge. Warhammer, Magic, and roleplaying are still very major things and at least the first two cost MAJOR money, more than video games often.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The number is low because there are quite a lot of PC-only gamers out there.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
I've said it before, but articles that cite some sort of gaming "crash" in 1983 just baffle me. I was gaming from before 1983, and at the point in '83 that this crash is supposed to have happened, I was buying new games every couple of weeks or so and I barely even scratched the surface of the new stuff that was available every month. Just look at the review mags of the time - masses of games flooding out that continued well into the mid-to-late nineties. There was only one major label that actually went bankrupt, and that was through sheer idiocy on the part of the management.

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right... +1