ROM Hack Request Infinite Space undub

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:
It is not! What the hell is wrong with you?

Infinite Space's English dub is perfect. You're just being a weeaboo.Dude. It's awful. The characters use utterly emotionless monotones with no connection to what's going on in the story. And they all sound like the exact same 5 VAs that do every videogame.

QUOTEThe only reason Japanese VAs sound better to you is because you can't speak Japanese. I can guarantee that if you were fluent in Japanese, most of the voice overs you worship would sound like crap.
So? We don't speak Japanese. If not understanding it makes it less painful, why is that a problem?

Most videogame voice acting is shitty. It's so shitty that you could take horrid monotone voices like the ones in this game and say that, hey, at least it's not as painful as Suikoden DS. But putting the voice-acting in a language you don't understand so you don't have to listen to how horrible it is is a perfectly valid response.

Kekkon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:

Infinite Space's English dub is perfect.
It is far faaaar from perfect, what the hell is wrong with you?
Don't you understand the concept of acting AT ALL?!
Infinite Space's dub is horrid monotonous emotionless crap, the main character sounds like he's tying to read directly from the script and had failed Reading 101.
It's not like I hate dubs either, I'd much prefer a dub as long as it's actually good.
The reason why a lot of us prefer the original Japanese isn't because of the language itself or even Japan in general, it's because it sounds like they actually give a crap about their lines.
It doesn't matter the language or having the ability to understand it, it's the feeling behind it, the emotion.
And it's not that there isn't bad Japanese voice overs either, I've heard crap just as bad as this from them aswell, just not as often.

Anyway, hoping for a good patch soon.

squall23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lol, because going to an English forum obviously makes me white. Asians can't be weeaboos. English isn't my first language and I can still tell good and bad voice acting. Heck, it's not even that. It's my opinion whether I like a dub or not, and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I've actually listened to the Japanese version for comparison, I have to rant on this.
CyrusBlue said:

Infinite Space's English dub is perfect. You're just being a weeaboo. The only reason Japanese VAs sound better to you is because you can't speak Japanese. I can guarantee that if you were fluent in Japanese, most of the voice overs you worship would sound like crap.
While I know you just want to go off on rants about weeaboos, have you actually listened to the Japanese dub for Infinite Space, for comparison? It is very very clearly superior, and just listening to it for an instant reveals what a shoddy rush job the English dub is. The voices won't win any awards in either, but the Japanese ones come off as cheesy large hams, which suits the game. The English ones are bland monotones.

More importantly, though: The Japanese dub uses huge ranges of effects on each of the voices -- you hear the crackling of communicators coming online, reverb effects as the captain talks over the ship's intercoms, and so forth. The English dub doesn't bother with any of this -- they just read their lines off in a dull monotone as if standing in an empty white room.

This game in particular is a bad example to use for your crusade, because the English dub here is openly half-assed in ways that have nothing to do with the voices or even the language.

Seriously, it's obvious you never listened to the Japanese dub for comparison, but have you even listened to the English dub for this game?

After hearing the Japanese dub, I would love to hear an English dub of that quality -- if I could get something with effects like that and people who didn't talk in a creepy monotone, while actually understanding what they were saying, I'd play it in a heartbeat.

But the English dub for this game is just terrible. And it's, partially, because of reviewers who think like you -- who just don't give a damn about the quality as long as they can understand it, or who say "oh, well at least it's not as bad as Suikoden DS" or whatever -- that we end up with the horrible videogame voiceacting that we have. Show some pride. There's nothing wrong with preferring to listen to a game in a language you understand, but don't pretend that "better than Suikoden DS" makes a game's voice-acting any good. Maybe this only mediocre and bland rather than the actual game-ruining awfulness you hear sometimes, but it's still terrible overall.

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
squall23 said:
lol, because going to an English forum obviously makes me white. Asians can't be weeaboos. English isn't my first language and I can still tell good and bad voice acting. Heck, it's not even that. It's my opinion whether I like a dub or not, and there's really nothing you can do about it.
Who told you this bold faced lie? Anyone who isn't Japanese can a weeaboo. Whoever told you Asians can't be weeaboo is a fucking liar.

Ruri said:
Now that I've actually listened to the Japanese version for comparison, I have to rant on this.
QUOTE(CyrusBlue @ Mar 18 2010, 03:52 PM) It is not! What the hell is wrong with you?

Infinite Space's English dub is perfect. You're just being a weeaboo. The only reason Japanese VAs sound better to you is because you can't speak Japanese. I can guarantee that if you were fluent in Japanese, most of the voice overs you worship would sound like crap.
While I know you just want to go off on rants about weeaboos, have you actually listened to the Japanese dub for Infinite Space, for comparison? It is very very clearly superior, and just listening to it for an instant reveals what a shoddy rush job the English dub is. The voices won't win any awards in either, but the Japanese ones come off as cheesy large hams, which suits the game. The English ones are bland monotones.

More importantly, though: The Japanese dub uses huge ranges of effects on each of the voices -- you hear the crackling of communicators coming online, reverb effects as the captain talks over the ship's intercoms, and so forth. The English dub doesn't bother with any of this -- they just read their lines off in a dull monotone as if standing in an empty white room.

This game in particular is a bad example to use for your crusade, because the English dub here is openly half-assed in ways that have nothing to do with the voices or even the language.

Seriously, it's obvious you never listened to the Japanese dub for comparison, but have you even listened to the English dub for this game?

After hearing the Japanese dub, I would love to hear an English dub of that quality -- if I could get something with effects like that and people who didn't talk in a creepy monotone, while actually understanding what they were saying, I'd play it in a heartbeat.

But the English dub for this game is just terrible. And it's, partially, because of reviewers who think like you -- who just don't give a damn about the quality as long as they can understand it, or who say "oh, well at least it's not as bad as Suikoden DS" or whatever -- that we end up with the horrible videogame voiceacting that we have. Show some pride. There's nothing wrong with preferring to listen to a game in a language you understand, but don't pretend that "better than Suikoden DS" makes a game's voice-acting any good. Maybe this only mediocre and bland rather than the actual game-ruining awfulness you hear sometimes, but it's still terrible overall.
You don't know anything about voice acting. You're just a weeaboo sucking off Japan. The only reason English VAs sound dull to you is because you speak English. If you were Japanese and didn't speak English the English language would sound cool to you.

Japanese VAs sound great to you because you can't speak Japanese.

It's like a mentally retarded placebo.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
CyrusBlue said:
Suikoden I can understand because those VAs were actually bad and they talked WAY too fast. I had no problem with that but then you guys went ahead and undubbed Professor Layton.
What kind of idiot would undub Professor Layton? The games takes place in fucking ENGLAND and the ENGLISH VA actors are awesome. The games makes 100x more sense in English, including the voice pitches. What kind of wapanese does it take to undub that...

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:
You don't know anything about voice acting. You're just a weeaboo sucking off Japan. The only reason English VAs sound dull to you is because you speak English. If you were Japanese and didn't speak English the English language would sound cool to you.

Japanese VAs sound great to you because you can't speak Japanese.

It's like a mentally retarded placebo.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

First, the English dub for Infinite Space is blatantly half-assed for reasons that have nothing to do with the language or the voice acting itself. Go listen to the Japanese version. Not for the voices; pay attention to how it presents the voices, instead. It uses special effects to make the characters sound like they're actually on the bridge of a ship -- you get reverb from the bridge, frantic crackling as channels break up, and so forth. The English dub didn't bother with anything like that; everyone sounds as if they were in a white room.

Second, you don't need to know the language to tell the difference between someone who is trying to ham up their lines and someone who is reading them in a bored monotone. Emotion and tone are obvious. If this game had actually good English voice-acting for a space action game -- if it had the cheesy overacting of Shatner and so forth from Star Trek, say -- it would be unbelievably awesome and I would love it. This is not some great and difficult thing; Shatner is not really an amazing actor. But he has passion! He put himself into his lines. These people can't manage even that. They're crap.

I don't want some sort of great Shakespearean dub for this. Cheesy over-the-top dramatics would be excellent. Cheesy over-the-top Saturday morning cartoon voice acting would be fine. That is not a difficult thing to do; but they fail utterly at it. They're not even bad enough to be good, they're just horrible.

English is my favorite language. I love English. I hate bad dubs because I love English. (Unless they reach the point of hilariously bad dubs, but this can't even reach that point.) I would love good English voice-acting in videogames; I know exactly what good English voice-acting sounds like, and I know it's very common, because I hear it all the time everywhere else. But in this game, they can't manage it. Even the level of talent that was in the original Star Trek -- I'm using it as an example because, objectively, they were just hams, hardly great actors -- but even that level is completely beyond what they can manage here.

They don't even bother to attempt it. They read their lines in a bored dull monotone. To call this good voice-acting is an insult to the English language. This is a writhing nadir of awfulness. You don't need to be an expert at voice acting to tell that something like this sounds terrible. Again, the typical Saturday morning cartoon here in the US sounds better than this; that is the level of voice-acting that I'd be happy with. They can't manage it.

There are exceptions. Larger-budget games tend to get better voice acting. Professor Layton had an excellent dub, sure. But if you think that Infinite Space has a good dub, I can only assume that you haven't actually played it, and are just leaping at a chance to drone on about the massive chip you've got on your shoulder.

I don't think that the Japanese version is anything more than cheesy Saturday-morning-cartoon level; but that bare minimum of competence is still a massive improvement over how awful I know the English version is. The original is, at least, definitively better in that it actually sounds like their on a spaceship thanks to the special effects. It sounds, to me, like it's cheesy and over the top enough to satisfy -- maybe it isn't; maybe it's secretly a dull monotone, I don't care.

But at least if I listen to it in another language, I do not have to hear my beloved native tongue getting so brutally and ineffectually abused. If they had the game in Russian, I would listen to it in Russian (I have listened to games in Russian over the English version for just that reason.) If they had it in French or German or Spanish or Mayan, I would take that. Anything is better than hearing your native tongue mangled as incompetently as this.

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:
CyrusBlue said:
Suikoden I can understand because those VAs were actually bad and they talked WAY too fast. I had no problem with that but then you guys went ahead and undubbed Professor Layton.
What kind of idiot would undub Professor Layton? The games takes place in fucking ENGLAND and the ENGLISH VA actors are awesome. The games makes 100x more sense in English, including the voice pitches. What kind of wapanese does it take to undub that...

The kind that are getting angry at me in this thread.

Pika_power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Guys, please do not feed the troll.

He posts about Weaboo and Wapanese in a thread asking specifically for a sub, ignores strong arguments and keeps repeating the same point. In what way isn't it painfully obvious he's trolling?

ZonMachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:
MarkDarkness said:
CyrusBlue said:

The kind that are getting angry at me in this thread.

Well there is the fact you are denouncing a wish of an undub because people "supposedly" are infatuated with Japanese culture by wanting to not hear the English dub. I find no reason by the definition yourself have given why people should be called weeaboos simply just because they do not want to hear the painful, recognized English Wanting to hear something does not make equal trying to act as a Japanese. In this case as others denounced you on is that you claim this game's dub is good. This is what makes all the hate is because you made such a claim without possibly playing the game at all.

Shinji_PG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MarkDarkness said:
CyrusBlue said:

Incorrect. The Professor Layton voice actors are American, not English. Some of them are terrible at mimicking the british accent. But I agree the game makes "more sense" with english voice actors, as long as they're good.

The english dub for Infinite Space is HORRIBLE, but that's the usual SEGA treatment (Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, etc). I would also like a undub, but unfortunately the videos don't have subs, so the only way is to sub and replace them. I dunno if that's easy to do, but at least we wouldn't have to worry about finding a japanese translator.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found the English voice-overs to be sufficient for me. But I'm not real particular about that sort of thing simply because I expect it to be sub-par. It's just that I'd rather know exactly what was being said, than hearing the unintelligible (to me) Japanese just for effect, especially if there's no sub-titles to translate what was just spoken. Audio quality never figures into the equation with me. I know the DS has limited audio capabilities....

So while I can't speak for the Japanese voice work (since I can't understand the language to tell if inflections and feeling in the speech are good or bad), I can say that almost all English voice-over work that I've ever heard in just about any game was always mostly dull and lifeless, or ridiculously overdone. It DOES seem as if the voice-over people were given the script to read without any real details about the characters at all. Like they didn't even show them any concept art and were never given any background info or direction for the characters to know how to voice them properly.

I've had people tell me I should do voice-overs in games or cartoons. I feel I could honestly do a better job at voice-overs than these so-called professional ones we get in these games. Even in my daily speech I tend to use sound effects or change my voice to get my point across without even thinking about it. So yeah, I think I could do better most times. But you still need some background or direction for the character to know what is expected of you.

Can someone give me an example of an English DS game that has GOOD voice-over work?

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Can someone give me an example of an English DS game that has GOOD voice-over work?

Professor Layton
Final Fantasy IV
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
The World Ends with You

QUOTE(ZonMachi @ Mar 19 2010, 12:29 PM) Well there is the fact you are denouncing a wish of an undub because people "supposedly" are infatuated with Japanese culture by wanting to not hear the English dub. I find no reason by the definition yourself have given why people should be called weeaboos simply just because they do not want to hear the painful, recognized English Wanting to hear something does not make equal trying to act as a Japanese. In this case as others denounced you on is that you claim this game's dub is good. This is what makes all the hate is because you made such a claim without possibly playing the game at all.

I've been playing it since yesterday. I just hijacked a cargo ship after getting into a bar fight..

Makenboshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
pointless arguing is pointless, you DON'T have to force your opinion to OTHER people
i like spicy food, you like salty food
it's all just about taste.

it's ridiculous how ppl fight for this simple matter, either they are stupid, or in self denial
aaaanyway... i have uploaded my undubbed rom on mediafire
find it somewhere in this post

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
.Darky said:
Besides, Romi Paku voices the MC.
That's enough reason for wanting an undub. Her voice is awesome. The only English VA that makes me all excited like her would be Nicole Fantl, but her only VA job so far was voicing Fran in FFXII - I'd buy any game if her voice was in it, as I have a huge obsession with awesome voices.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:
CyrusBlue said:
Nobody here wants to undub Professor Layton. CyrusBlue just likes being angry.

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
about the sub and dubbing... there is a possibility to hardcode some subs on an japanese DS animation... if the video file can be converted to a commom format (.avi/rmvb/mp4/wmv/etc...)

reencoding shouldn't be that hard, but if it crash the game, only a pro could fix it...

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:
Professor Layton
Final Fantasy IV
The World Ends with You
QUOTEI've been playing it since yesterday. I just hijacked a cargo ship after getting into a bar fight..
Yeah. And now that you've actually played it, I notice it's not on your list of good dubs.

It's all right to apologize now that you've actually heard it, you know. I can understand getting angry at people who want to undub Professor Layton. But flying off the handle at everyone who wants to undub any game just because of that is silly.

Sometimes they just really screw up an English dub.

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ruri said:
CyrusBlue said:
Professor Layton
Final Fantasy IV
The World Ends with You
QUOTEI've been playing it since yesterday. I just hijacked a cargo ship after getting into a bar fight..
Yeah. And now that you've actually played it, I notice it's not on your list of good dubs.
It's all right to apologize now that you've actually heard it, you know. I can understand getting angry at people who want to undub Professor Layton. But flying off the handle at everyone who wants to undub any game just because of that is silly.

Sometimes they just really screw up an English dub.

You're an idiot.

I said I've been playing since yesterday which was 24 hours ago. Which means while I was saying "Infinite Space's English dub was perfect" I was playing the game.

By nitpicking and trying to contradict me you made yourself look stupid(er).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...