Gaming Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D to be shipped with a demo

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Portability is often irrelevant"

I find it humorous that you're saying this for a portable game console.

I can't bring the 360 on vacation, or to school, or to a friends house without some serious luggage. You pay the price for portability.

Additionally, I'm expecting future shooters to use the touchscreen for aiming, much like Metroid Hunters did. (Mercenaries even might... you never know.)

By the way, people content with paying $250 on launch day are also people who probably have smartphones that can make hotspots. I would do it for the current DS, but there really isn't anything worth playing online, due to hackers, except Tetris, for me.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:

I can't bring the 360 on vacation, or to school, or to a friends house without some serious luggage. You pay the price for portability.

Additionally, I'm expecting future shooters to use the touchscreen for aiming, much like Metroid Hunters did. (Mercenaries even might... you never know.)

The touch screen for shooters was utter shit. It cramped your hand up and wasn't all that accurate in the end. Dual analog was better. Mouse and keyboard are better than analogs too.

I'm saying portability is irrelevant on games that focus on multiplayer, such as SSFIV and RE: Mercs (that's my abbreviation for now on).

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Linkiboy said:

The touch screen for shooters was utter shit. It cramped your hand up and wasn't all that accurate in the end. Dual analog was better. Mouse and keyboard are better than analogs too.

I'm saying portability is irrelevant on games that focus on multiplayer, such as SSFIV and RE: Mercs (that's my abbreviation for now on).
That's your opinion. I like touchscreen way better than dual analog, and so do the majority of people on this board.

And Mercs doesn't focus on multiplayer. RE4 didn't even have multiplayer. You clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guild McCommunist said:
Linkiboy said:

Wow, why so much hate? I think it works great in MPH, Moon, COD and Dementium just to name some. I hate playing such games with dual analog sticks, so what? Just because that's my opinion doesn't mean all playing with dual analog sticks are idiots.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Unless, you know, it's portable.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Want to know what makes these 3DS versions worse than their console versions?

- Worse controls. Sorry, the thumb pad or slider or whatever you wish to call it isn't any better than an analog stick. As for fighting games, if you're a big enthusiast of fighters, you can use a fight stick on your Xbox 360/PS3.
Never said is was. There no way the controls are that bad for you to be hating on them.
Do you even use a fight stick? Did you even touch a 3DS?
- Worse graphics. Yeah, graphics don't equal everything but if you can get a version of the game with better graphics along with a bunch of other pros, why the hell not?
Yea because console graphics alone this version shouldn't be bought.
- Overpriced content. Is it worth paying twice as much for an inferior version of SSFIV just because of a gimmicky 3D (we not going to see eye to eye on 3d are we?)mode and an easy mode? I mean c'mon, how many times will you use either of them? And when you can get better versions of the game for half as much, there's no point behind it.
Like how you forget the street pass and shot pass. I say it pretty well built up portable SSFIV.
- Portability is often irrelevant. There's some games that work when they're portable, but shoehorning console games into a handheld doesn't work (if you say "WELL LOOK AT THE PSP HERP DERP" then you don't know anything about the system But some are like that, but at the sometime nice to play. ). How fun is The Mercenaries gonna be when you're all alone on the go? You honestly think you'll be in that many WiFi hotspots or you'll meet some dude on the bus or subway playing it and searching for a game? Yeah, right. And playing against AI will eventually lose its appeal in SSFIV.
Who says I'm walking alone? Who says we can gather at a park or something? Play while getting something called fresh air.
I'm saying it's bad because the 3DS has inferior versions of console games and they're charging upwards of twice as much for the content.
Like I said well built up portable SSFIV, the price is fair. You at like devs just shove the thing out there :/
I'm saying to not buy X on the 3DS when you can get a better version of the game for less. Hell, I can buy a fucking Xbox 360 and a copy of SSFIV AND Resident Evil 5 for around $250. Everything brand spankin' new, with Resident Evil 5 being the Gold edition (meaning all the DLC is there).

There's a SSFIV 3DS tournament here because it's a Nintendo forum and so many people don't even own/want a Xbox 360 or a PS3, You can proof how many have those console, specially when you didn't even know I had a psp and SSFIV hasn't been on a Nintendo console until now. Hell, the only what seems like REAL fighting game on a Nintendo console this gen is Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but it seems to be forgotten by many with Marvel vs. Capcom 3 offering the same fighting engine, just with more accessible characters to western audiences as well as some differences.
Funny coming from someone who do not like fight games to begin with. Real fighting games... Fighting games are fighting games.
laugh.gif

And it's not like there's been tournaments of SFIV and SSFIV since it came about. This comment goes towards your multiplayer comment too.
I'm saying you keep hating on 3DS multiplayer, when it just doing just fine.
EDIT: Your edited comments:

KingVamp said:
Not all people own those consoles anyway.

With the future 8gb space would be nice for content too.

But you're willing to spend $250 on a 3DS? Nice joke. I can buy a new Xbox 360 for less.

8GB hard drive space? It's not like PS3's come with 40GB (minimum, I'm pretty sure) and cheap Xbox 360 Slims come with 4GB internally (and you can use an external hard drive for an additional 16GB of space).
Not comparing content to consoles so calm yourself. Just saying it would be fair and nice content on the 3DS.

Just like you are willing to spend $300+ on the psp 2.

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Linkiboy said:

I'm just going to say RE4, the game the Mercenaries mode first appeared in, didn't use more than one analog stick. Thus your point about 'needing' two analog sticks is moot, because RE4 & 5 don't require two sticks. You have to press a button to aim, no need to have a separate stick for movement and a separate stick for aiming. This isn't COD or Halo, not being able to move and shoot at the same time adds to the 'horror' aspect.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
gumbyscout said:
not being able to move and shoot at the same time adds to the 'horror' aspect.
That could apply to Revelations. Mercenaries is just a fuckogram of Black/Spanish people (very racist from Capcom) attacking you.
There's no horror aspect in this. But it does add some desperation.

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
gumbyscout said:
not being able to move and shoot at the same time adds to the 'horror' aspect.
That could apply to Revelations. Mercenaries is just a fuckogram of Black/Spanish people (very racist from Capcom) attacking you.
There's no horror aspect in this. But it does add some desperation.
Yeah, RE5 went from sorta racist to really racist pretty fast. Killing natives in huts isn't cool :/. Pretty much what I'm saying, is that the controls are essentially the same as when RE4 was on the gamecube. Bitching that the controls suck because there isn't another another stick to be totally redundant, is silly.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said is was. There no way the controls are that bad for you to be hating on them.: They're worse than alternatives.

Do you even use a fight stick? Did you even touch a 3DS?: I don't use a fight stick because I'm not that much of an enthusiast. But most seasoned fighters use fightsticks. I doubt any 3DS user will say the thumb pad is better than a real analog stick unless they're jaded.

Yea because console graphics alone this version shouldn't be bought. : You obviously didn't read any of my other arguments.

(we not going to see eye to eye on 3d are we?): Maybe it's because you don't understand what a gimmick is?

Like how you forget the street pass and shot pass. I say it pretty well built up portable SSFIV.: The odds of you using StreetPass and actually finding someone with their 3DS on who plays SSFIV is a lot lower than you think.

Who says I'm walking alone? Who says we can gather at a park or something? Play while getting something called fresh air. : Want fresh air? Open a fucking window. And I don't think people who want to play SSFIV care about meeting in a park. Plus, sun glare's a bitch. You're really pulling out lame excuses.

Like I said well built up portable SSFIV, the price is fair. You at like devs just shove the thing out there :/ : Because they are. They shoehorned a console game onto a handheld, added some dumb easy mode and a useless 3D mode and shipped it. I enjoy my Capcom games but I won't hesitate to call shenanigans on them.

You can proof how many have those console, specially when you didn't even know I had a psp : You really haven't demonstrated a good enough taste in games to even use a PSP. Instead you're too easily brought into the notion of "Nintendo > everything". My statement is still absolutely true. It also doesn't help that the only reason a lot of people bought SSFIV 3D is because there's nothing else.

Funny coming from someone who do not like fight games to begin with. Real fighting games... Fighting games are fighting games.
laugh.gif
: I've begun to take a liking to fighters myself, mainly after MvC3 launched. I started practicing in TvC and that experience carried over to MvC3 whenever I play it (I don't own a copy but all my friends do). And there are fighting games generally accepted by the fighting community to be the big ones.

I'm saying you keep hating on 3DS multiplayer, when it just doing just fine. : It "does fine" but it's much worse than any console multiplayer. My old cell phone "did fine" but it was still a piece of shit. A piece of shit that could make calls.

Not comparing content to consoles so calm yourself. Just saying it would be fair and nice content on the 3DS.: Oh, so the 3DS has its own level of standards? Bullshit. When it's bringing over console versions of games it's completely fair to compare the two. It can run SSFIV's engine without a slowdown. It can get direct ports of console games without little issue. It's absolutely fair to compare a console version of a game to its handheld 3DS counterpart. My whole argument is about content too, saying it isn't irrelevant is completely ignoring the issue at hand.

Just like you are willing to spend $300+ on the psp 2.: Completely irrelevant. I'll most likely buy the NGP because I loved the PSP and expect it to continue its trends in terms of games.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get out of here dude. You're staff, you should be better than this. All you're doing is attempting to justify your hate in a thread where it doesn't belong. Don't get the 3DS and Mercs and just shut the fuck up.

And for the others, you should concede that the portable versions are inferior. But guess what? They're also launch titles. And portable. You need to take into consideration the circumstances for the release and playability of both games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Just get out of here dude. You're staff, you should be better than this. All you're doing is attempting to justify your hate in a thread where it doesn't belong. Don't get the 3DS and Mercs and just shut the fuck up.

And for the others, you should concede that the portable versions are inferior. But guess what? They're also launch titles. And portable. You need to take into consideration the circumstances for the release and playability of both games.

Being a staffer doesn't mean I have to hang up my testicles. I'm following forum rules. Just because I have differing opinions doesn't mean I don't have a right to express them, even after a promotion. And I hold no moderating powers, I'm hardly a staffer as much as I am a higher GBAtemp contributor.

I've argued about the irrelevancy of portability in this case, I feel no need to go over it again if you refuse to acknowledge it.

So since they're launch titles their flaws get a free pass? Yeah, not on my watch.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You ignored both of my counter points to your portability arguments, i.e. lugging your 360 on vacation, to school (or around campus), or to a friends house is not very feasible, and the fact that Mercs is not a multiplayer centric game. Which leaves SSIV, which is not what the thread was originally about.

They certainly don't get a free pass, but its called the price you pay for being an early adopter. The same phenomena was witnessed with the PSP, and to a lesser extent the DS.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
You ignored both of my counter points to your portability arguments, i.e. lugging your 360 on vacation, to school (or around campus), or to a friends house is not very feasible, and the fact that Mercs is not a multiplayer centric game. Which leaves SSIV, which is not what the thread was originally about.

I addressed those points by saying that you really don't need to play these games during those times. Portability is a great factor when it works for some games but when it doesn't it's often a detractor. I don't believe the portability works on RE: Mercs or SSFIV personally. Give me a solid copy of Tetris and I'll rave about it's portability.

As for the "free pass", that's why it's often safer to wait before picking it up after launch. I'll probably just get the NGP near/shortly after launch because of my limited income and its release date probably being near the holidays. It's just a better time to get it than waiting 3 more months for my birthday.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An average round of either of those games lasts as long as a round of Tetris.

And I'd really like to argue with you about "don't need games at those places". Vacation is the most understandable one, but what if its a boring one? School/campus: seriously, nothing is more fun than lunch break/free periods and all your friends bringing their DS' and just playing. The rounds in Mercs never extend past 10 minutes usually (and you only start out with 2 minutes) and on average, if you're decent, they last about 6 minutes. And friends house? I guess you're correct if they have a console. But definitely, my DS has been the key to my survival at school. And Mercs is as much of a 'popcorn' game as Tetris is.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
An average round of either of those games lasts as long as a round of Tetris.

And I'd really like to argue with you about "don't need games at those places". Vacation is the most understandable one, but what if its a boring one? School/campus: seriously, nothing is more fun than lunch break/free periods and all your friends bringing their DS' and just playing. The rounds in Mercs never extend past 10 minutes usually (and you only start out with 2 minutes) and on average, if you're decent, they last about 6 minutes. And friends house? I guess you're correct if they have a console. But definitely, my DS has been the key to my survival at school. And Mercs is as much of a 'popcorn' game as Tetris is.

I'm saying that portability is a big plus for some games if it's implemented right. I'll take a game people not see as actually quite portable for instance and choose Monster Hunter. It's divided into small missions that can last anywhere from a couple of minutes to like 50 minutes. How long it takes is usually up to you. And if you have to quit then you really don't lose much. Often times I redo missions in Monster Hunter for materials anyway, it's just kinda like that. Plus the PSP's sleep mode is something many people forget about.

I personally don't see the fun in playing something like Mercs alone. To me it feels like playing Left 4 Dead alone, or Halo's Firefight mode alone, or Borderlands alone. They just seem to be games/modes that really use co-op to make it fun.

I can play some games in 10 minute bursts but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be portable.

And Tetris can last really as long as you want it. Timed Tetris can take like two minutes or something. 40 Lines doesn't last long at all. And if you have to put down Tetris, you can do so instantly. If you lose a round of Tetris, oh well. It's not like you lost any significant progress.

I guess the difference here is what you believe is what good single player material is and what I believe good single player material is.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I was going to go off about endless tetris but I decided not to for the sake of comparison. And Mercs is all about getting the highscore. Co-op is a relatively new feature that's just a bonus that makes getting a highscore harder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==