Not open for further replies.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually most homebrew users probably aren't registered on any forum, or even WiiBrew.

From Hackmii

QUOTE said:
Update 3: As of 2010-11-05 we had 593658 unique installations!

And that can't count all the installations by people who don't have their Wii's online.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cwstjdenobs said:
Actually most homebrew users probably aren't registered on any forum, or even WiiBrew.
Really?

Ok, then what about this, according to bushing the hackmii team surged past 600K installs of the Homebrew Channel. Lets say 100.000 hombrew channel users dont have their Wii connected to the internet. Then we should have overall 700.000 homebrew channel users.

Now look at the amount of gbatemps registered users. As of now gbatemp has 250,704 users. If we add the amounts of registered users from all other homebrew sites on the internet, we would reach a number close to the number of all registered hbc installations, wouldnt we?

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GBATemp.
GBA/DS.

Then: you have 1-time-posters, people who register for other reasons, and the like. Your reasoning here is grossly erroneous.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cwstjdenobs said:
Sorry every one of those users is here for the Wii? Sauce plz.
I didnt say that. Dont put words in my mouth. But it actually doesnt matter if people registered here for the Wii or DS or whatever reason. It's about homebrew and piracy in general.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
cwstjdenobs said:
I didnt say that. Dont put words in my mouth. But it actually doesnt matter if people registered here for the Wii or DS or whatever reason. It's about homebrew and piracy in general.

But you're suggesting we use every member on this site as Wii hackers. You did say it. Don't accuse us.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You where using stats about the HBC and comparing that directly to amount of registered users here. So yes you where saying that even if that's not what you meant.

Also if homebrew was way the only to pirate you might be right, but mod chips and no homebrew seem to be as popular as ever.

EDIT: And you are also assuming everyone who uses those methods does pirate. Pirates may be in the majority but some do use them as actual backup loaders.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
SFenton said:
WiiBricker said:
cwstjdenobs said:

But you're suggesting we use every member on this site as Wii hackers. You did say it. Don't accuse us.
Then again, there's is a spanish Wii warez site that has currently 373,074 members. Almost all of them should have a Wii. ANd there are a lot of other Wii sites on the internet. Dont forget them.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cwstjdenobs said:
Sorry here, but how many people will have accounts on multiple sites? You can't just add them all together.
Nah, it was not my intention to add them together since I know that people have accounts on multipe sites. But the thing is, the amount of different sites of different languages compensates the amount of multiple accounts, so that the real amount of people, that installed the homebrew channel and pirate is still near the amount of registered hbc installations.

But anyway, I cut the discussion at this point. It's no use anyways. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, so you can believe anything you like. But that doesnt change reality at all.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
But anyway, I cut the discussion at this point. It's no use anyways. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, so you can believe anything you like. But that doesnt change reality at all.
just to be clear, you just said that you are right, and everyone else is wrong, correct?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
OncleJulien said:
WiiBricker said:
just to be clear, you just said that you are right, and everyone else is wrong, correct?
No, read again. I said everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and that personal opinions dont change how things are in reality. That's of course also valid to my opinion.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You are probably right, but neither side can prove anything for a few reasons. But I would totally disagree that homebrew leads to piracy. I just think that a lot of people have it because you need it to get the job done without buying and installing a chip. And because of the fact that chips exist you can't assume everyone on sites like this or the "Spanish Warez Site" you mentioned is using homebrew to do the job.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
ha! I see old songs
smile.gif

Homebrew, homebrew... what is homebrew??

1) Different kinds of loaders for Wii/GC games in the ways not supposed: USB loaders, Out-Of-Region disk loaders. Disk loaders with any kind of modifications to the game.
2) cIOS, NAND emulators - so base for loaders from (1)
3) Many utilities to install WADs, IOS, cIOS and other things to manipulate with (1) and (2)
4) Emulators of older consoles and computers.
5) Launchers (like HBC, bootmii, priiloader) for 1,2,3,4
6) Modification utilities to change themes sounds, etc...
7) Some primitive games and direct ports of well-known and old-as-this-world games like Doom, Quake..

hmm... seams that's all.

So, let's check what is what by numbers:

1) Definitely help piracy and very well used
2) low-level of (1), i.e. used for piracy
3) utilities used to help piracy
4) the same pirate-ware. The fact that is for older consoles it doesn't void licenses. So launching your lovely NES Tetris is the same piracy as launching Metroid Prime from USB
smile.gif

5) Well, amount of piracy-related apps can be launched makes this category as true pirate-helpers
smile.gif

6, 7) probably can be called as piracy-free category. May be that's the main reason to hack wii? LOL..
smile.gif

And of course developers of each category say the same: We develop only apps, but only end-user is responsible for any piracy-related actions like loading not-owned games.

The real division on Piracy or Non-Piracy is here:

1) Pirated content which can cause some kind of courts, bust or closing site
2) Pirated content which abandoned or semi-abandoned and no one will "shoot admin" for it.

So, first is called piracy while second - homebrew
wink.gif

Or somebody really hacks his wii just to play silly 5-mins games and change background of system menu?
smile.gif

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
sorgelig said:
Or somebody really hacks his wii just to play silly 5-mins games and change background of system menu?
smile.gif
You forgot Wii Linux, the main reason why the Wii has been hacked in the first place. Your argument fails.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I forgot about one "important" category - LINUX!
smile.gif
Actually, it's a big LOL
smile.gif

When "homebrew" wasn't possible and every HB was in GC sandbox, linux was a God of homebrew. Wow, Linux! Wow it can load console and you can type "cd" and "ls"!! True homebrew!
And then... boom! USB loaders... A lot of free games! Linux?! Hmm.. What is the linux? I don't know what are you talking about!
As a result - linux for Wii almost died. Nobody needs it. Some time ago i've remember linux has been ported to Wii/GC. And decided to look at it. It's nearly non-existent now.

The same for PS3:
Sony removed "Other OS" (aka Linux, because there were no any "Other OS" on PS3) -Argghhhh.. Evil Sony! Linux was the only reason i've bough PlayStation 3! (and other similar exclamations).. And this moaning was till jailbreak appeared. Everybody instantly forgot about "Other OS". Even if Other OS has been mentioned - then only as helper for deeper hacks and reversing.

Consoles are for games. Not for homebrew. All real homebrew i saw on Wii/PS3 are so simple that even slow PDA can do this. There is absolutely no reason to bother to hack console to mess with such simple apps. Computer and even PDA can handle it well and in most cases won't require hacks.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
snikerz said:
You forgot Wii Linux, the main reason why the Wii has been hacked in the first place. Your argument fails.

Yeah, already was writing while you post your comment.

You are very smart, indeed.. You can object by couple words, mr. Short
smile.gif

Didn't see any funniest arguments than "Wii has been hacked primarily for linux" LOL
smile.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
Consoles are for games. Not for homebrew. All real homebrew i saw on Wii/PS3 are so simple that even slow PDA can do this. There is absolutely no reason to bother to hack console to mess with such simple apps. Computer and even PDA can handle it well and in most cases won't require hacks.

really, you should sometime refrain from stating your opinion as being universal truth. Sarcasm does not help either making a topic into a serious discussion. This is also quite insulting for devs that tried to bring some new stuff on Wii or were just excited about using a new platform with an original controller but you probably don't care.

what you think about piracy vs homebrew has been discussed xxx times by users of every forums on the earth, this is not new and your "argumentation" is nothing but useless common shit. i know you think you are quite smarter than others and that you opinion should be engraved at the very top of this forum but really, save your time... people are (and always will be) using homebrew for various reasons. If it's true that the majority of us is only interested in getting "cool stuff for free" , it's also true that most of the time it started with the idea of understanding a new system and the will of some talented people to break it in order to run an hello world or a linux distro.

I never understood why it's so hard to assimilate for some people that these hackers can have different view than the rest of us and that they just don't give a fuck about what others are doing with their tools, but simply don't wanna hear about piracy or support it in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: