Hardware [Rumor]AMD Bulldozer performance video!

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE(AussieFX @ Tue Apr 05 @ 2011 5:45 am) said:
I posted this in another thread but it probably should go here.

There is a Bulldozer video (from AMD) that's gone up on youtube today that shows some Bulldozer performance.
It is currently password protected (at the time of me writing this) but that should be lifted and it will go public sometime this afternoon according to my source.

Keep an eye out for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr7kr4kimeMSource.

QUOTE(Cpt Placeholder @ Tue Apr 05 @ 2011 3:27 pm)http://www.youtube.com/v/mr7kr4kimeM

Looks like John Fruehe
Source.

The video is not yet available, can't wait to see it!

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
Personally I don't care about performance videos, I just want to find out if it can viably compete against Sandy Bridge and (later) Sandy Bridge E.
Sure, however keep in mind the price difference between them and of course socket compatibility. As always I think AMD will have the crown when it comes to bang for buck and have a more powerfull GPU most probably. Personally just bought a 1156 board and already am I feeling the urge to hit intel over the head with it as I will not be able to easily replace it even in the coming year as we have 1155 now.

But all of that is speculation and preference
wink.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The chipset, perhaps, but the processors are just die schrinks which loose L3 because the GPU also utilises it! But aside from 2x sata 6gbit/s, DMI2.0 I don't really see the advantages for performance machines but giant loss for overclocking features. Granted an IGP can be nice but never in my setup
smile.gif
. DMI2.0 is nice however (though my overclock comes quite a long way, it doesn't reach 2x
wink.gif
).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Dont forget, they're supposed to be called APUs now (Accellerated Processing Unit), not IGPs. It's their attempt to pull away from the "IGP sucks" stigma that plagued them since they first started using them. The current generation of APUs aren't that bad either.

Since I blew my savings on iPad 2 instead of an upgrade for my computer, I'll have to stick with my Core 2 Duo for a while... it'll probably take that long for Sandy Bridge E to be released.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
AM3+ with AMD Fusion CPUs, and LGA 1155 and 2011 for Sandy Bridge (E) CPUs. Considering the improvements Intel chipset series 6 brings, I consider it a worthy upgrade from LGA 1156/1366.
Intel seems to have a gazillion amount of current (consumer) sockets whereas AMD has only one: AM3. AM3+ will be the socket that will remain the only one supported (for desktops) (I guess), since AM3 processors can go into an AM3+ motherboard. Either that or I'm missing some other AMD sockets...

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Originality said:
AM3+ with AMD Fusion CPUs, and LGA 1155 and 2011 for Sandy Bridge (E) CPUs. Considering the improvements Intel chipset series 6 brings, I consider it a worthy upgrade from LGA 1156/1366.
Intel seems to have a gazillion amount of current (consumer) sockets whereas AMD has only one: AM3. AM3+ will be the socket that will remain the only one supported (for desktops) (I guess), since AM3 processors can go into an AM3+ motherboard. Either that or I'm missing some other AMD sockets...
i like that, and the fact that you can still get a AM3 Processor for AM2+, it makes people on older hardware have even more affordable upgrades when they start releasing the AM3+ equivilant of those CPUs.
you can either buy a cheap am3+ mobo and keep your current am3 cpu and go to DDR3, or just add a newly discounted 3/4/6core to a am2+ mobo and other possibilities as well.
Intel is for people with a good bit of money in there pockets, it's good they can produce such powerful cpu's/apu's but there are so many hardware changes that come along with that new CPU/APU.
newCPU/APU = need new mobo just about every time, along with possibility of needing to change ram and most cheap Intel mobo's haven't been the most reliable tools in the shed in my experience....

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
wolffangalchemist said:
Intel is for people with a good bit of money in there pockets, it's good they can produce such powerful cpu's/apu's but there are so many hardware changes that come along with that new CPU/APU.
newCPU/APU = need new mobo just about every time, along with possibility of needing to change ram and most cheap Intel mobo's haven't been the most reliable tools in the shed in my experience....
Let me add an additional target market to that: people with the patience to save up for a better upgrade.

If you consider that mid-ranged to high-end Intel CPUs are generally good enough to keep for a few years (take my Core 2 Duo for instance), then there's no real issue with hardware changes. Cheap motherboards (for both Intel and AMD) tend to die in around a year and need progressive replacement. It's good that you can keep your AMD CPU for a bit longer, but you'll soon realize that the AMD CPU is not strong enough for newer applications/games (assuming around 1.5-2 years have passed since purchase) and you'll want to upgrade again to the next generation up. In the long run, there's little difference between AMD and Intel upgrade paths, especially if you're after mid-ranged CPUs and not just budget-biting every step. For performance however, Intel has held the crown for long enough to become an unwritten rule. Again, I'm still hoping Bulldozer can change that.

Well, I've had my C2D comp for a fairly long time now, so it's shown very good value between then and the time I eventually decide to upgrade it (who says AMD Phenom has better bang for buck?). I'm waiting to see how Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge E does before I pick my next upgrade path.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious