Hacking Same game gives out two different sizes in WBFS?

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Again long time no talk to to all my friends out there! I've been quite busy as a Dad however let's get to the point.
I recently modded my Wii, backed up all my games with Configurable USB loader onto a WBFS drive. Now I want to back up those files in WBFS format onto a NTFS drive.
Here is where it gets puzzling....
I backed up my copy of Raving Rabbids 2 with USB Loader to get a 3.91 GB file.
Now I couldn't just transfer over a WBFS file to a NTFS drive so I had to use Wii backup manager to turn that file back into an ISO. Then I converted that ISO back into a WBFS file only to notice that the new size was 3.89 GB

All my games seem to loose 2-20 Megs during this process. Does anyone know why? Are these reduced files safe to assume they will work in case a kid knock over the original WBFS drive?

In case anyone screams, do a search. I've done so and read hundreds of pages researching how to mod my wii and never came across this info. Any incite would be appreciated!

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
WeaponXxX said:
Hello,
Again long time no talk to to all my friends out there! I've been quite busy as a Dad however let's get to the point.
I recently modded my Wii, backed up all my games with Configurable USB loader onto a WBFS drive. Now I want to back up those files in WBFS format onto a NTFS drive.
Here is where it gets puzzling....
I backed up my copy of Raving Rabbids 2 with USB Loader to get a 3.91 GB file.
Now I couldn't just transfer over a WBFS file to a NTFS drive
Why not?
You don't need anything special to copy the .wbfs files around, using windows explorer should do the job fine.

QUOTE(WeaponXxX @ Jan 6 2010, 05:45 PM) so I had to use Wii backup manager to turn that file back into an ISO. Then I converted that ISO back into a WBFS file only to notice that the new size was 3.89 GB

All my games seem to loose 2-20 Megs during this process. Does anyone know why? Are these reduced files safe to assume they will work in case a kid knock over the original WBFS drive?
Maybe it removed the update partition, check the settings, you can copy all partitions or just game (removing the update partition). If it's not that then I don't know what could be the the cause.

edit: oh unless as xflak40 suggested the difference is in the used space vs actual file size. Maybe the latest versions of wii backup manager will scrub all sectors and make a sparse .wbfs file resulting in lower used space. But the file size should still be the same if all the partitions are copied...

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
check and see if the differ both in terms of "size" and "size on disk"

oggzee said:
Why not?
You don't need anything special to copy the .wbfs files around, using windows explorer should do the job fine.
The whole drive is WBFS formatted which explorer won't read. This means I can't see detailed info like "size on disk", nor can I use explorer to transfer the files.

QUOTE(oggzee @ Jan 6 2010, 11:52 AM)
Maybe it removed the update partition, check the settings, you can copy all partitions or just game (removing the update partition). If it's not that then I don't know what could be the the cause.

Never knew that option was on there! All games were copied over to my WBFS partition with "Game partition only"

After playing around I did a few more test
From WBFS file on a WBFS partition to NTFS ISO to a WBFS file on a NTFS partition = Size reduction
From WBFS file on a WBFS partition to WBFS file on a WBFS partition = No size reduction

For those that want to know why I care so much, I'm backing up my WBFS drive, converting to NTFS with a WBFS folder so I can run triiforce and full games on the same drive. Backing up originals takes foooooorever so hard drive to hard drive is much quicker.

Anyhow I've tested a few games that were reduced in size and they all seem to run fine.

Thanks for the helpful replies guys!

fig2k4

Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
It makes sense that the discs take up less space because your transferring from a WBFS drive to .wbfs. With WBFS, the data must be aligned to the block size. The larger the drive, the larger the block size, the more space is needed.

Here's an example that I posted a while ago that shows the different sizes on a 1TB drive compared to .wbfs. It might still be a good idea to double check one of the files. Use wbfs_file.exe to copy from the WBFS drive to .wbfs and compare the 2 .wbfs files...

hash2.jpg

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Ah all makes sense now, I thought that you already had the files in .wbfs format, but they were actually on a wbfs partition. In that case yes it's normal for them to take more space because of a larger block size, just as fig2k4 explained...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM