Hardware Seagate Expansion HDD suddenly errors while transferring files

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought what I believe is this HDD, but instead off Ebay for cheap. Formatted it with EaseUS to Fat32 with 32 sectors. (I noticed although there's no files in the drive, there's still about 700mb used up. Is that another partition? Or like, Seagate's HDD settings hidden in the drive?)

As I was transferring files to it, after not too long the transfers stop midway through because the drive is experiencing an "error"... Because of this, I only got smaller files and games on it so far, I can only do a little at a time before I have to safely disconnect and plug it back in before it errors, at which point I can't even safely eject it.
As far as I'm aware, Seagates have a feature that times them out, or "spin down," I think it's called. So I downloaded and installed Seagate Drive Settings from the website, but it doesn't even detect that the HDD is connected at all... I tried connecting it before opening the program and waiting, after opening the program and waiting, over and over and it just doesn't see it. (Also before, I had installed SeaTools as well, but it fails to complete its "Long General" scan of the HDD. The Short scan worked fine, though.)

All this to say, does it still play games? Yes, thank goodness!
On my Wii, WiiFlow detects it and its games just fine, I had Chibi-Robo! on idle for the past hour and it hasn't timed out or whatever at all. Just now tried out Wii Sports, works just fine too.

So, now my sole concern is how I'm going to get the rest of the games on there, especially bigger ones like Smash Brawl because it'll error before the transfer could finish...

I tried some solutions from these two pages, but I don't feel comfortable attempting them all. Some of them seem a bit unnecessary even.
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/seagatemaxtor-manager-stops-detecting-the-drive-208575en/
https://windowsreport.com/seagat-hard-drive-windows-10/

So I'm at a loss. Should I attempt some of those solutions, or perhaps I was just sold a dud? Very open to any suggestions!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Back in the early 2000's, Seagate was a respected brand for hard disks. But right now, as far as I'm concerned, they sell shitty products. I lost a 3TB Seagate drive, just like that. It died, not long after I purchased it. Western Digital never gave me any problems, and that's what I trust now. Of course, your mileage may vary, but read reviews on newegg to convince you.

Reactions: ShoulderMonster

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the early 2000's, Seagate was a respected brand for hard disks. But right now, as far as I'm concerned, they sell shitty products. I lost a 3TB Seagate drive, just like that. It died, not long after I purchased it. Western Digital never gave me any problems, and that's what I trust now. Of course, your mileage may vary, but read reviews on newegg to convince you.
Hhhh, alright. I don't doubt it, just a little bummed out. I only picked Seagate because I saw on the Compatibility List for homebrew and such that most Seagate HDDs worked just fine with everything.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might still work. I have a couple Seagate drives here that work (for the time being) but I don't trust them too much. Yours is not dead, at least. Just don't put anything important on it. Or keep backups elsewhere, just to be safe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4