Hardware Security Research Team

Cr0wTom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello PS5 enthusiasts,

I am a security researcher and after months of waiting I managed to acquire my first day preordered PS5 digital.

I am mainly focused on automotive research the last years of my life, both academically and professionally, but I am interested in getting my hands dirty with PS5.

If you know someone somewhere that would be interested to join me, or if you can give me any hints on where to find groups and people that are already doing this I would be glad. :D :D

Thanks guys...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For most I imagine GBAtemp will be deemed too casual to play in the cracking open the PS5 world, and if their security is even half what the last go around was then you are in for a fun one (aka I hope you are up to date on your side channel approaches, and possibly have tools to play with it at the sorts of clockspeeds* the PS5 likely plays at).

**how slowdown might work on this I don't know.

Most of the time it is the same groups that go in for it. If then you have seen say a C3 console hacking presentation ( 25c3 wii fail and https://archive.org/details/27c3-4087-en-console_hacking_2010 where the PS3 was blown wide apart being the major two, though https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7240-console_hacking is also of note and I have always liked google tech talks on the 360 even if the "nothing interesting" remark was quite notable in being incorrect as that is what gave us RGH in the end, mostly exists in slide form now but the presentation on the original xbox https://xboxdevwiki.net/17_Mistakes_Microsoft_Made_in_the_Xbox_Security_System is also good stuff) then they will tend to be involved with whatever new is going on. They tend not to take to randoms of the street so... interviewing to join might be the wrong term but proving your worth will be one. Not entirely sure what that might take today, and properly written up failed research could be it as well (here are a bunch of approaches, here are my results, here is why they likely failed in this as Sony or whatever got wise to said approaches, and if one of those pushes the needle ever so slightly (partial plaintext dump of something of vague interest maybe) then so much the better).

Equally I have not played in cars for a while on the security front but if it is anything like their general approach to electronics* you might also be in for a bit of a learning curve. We are now decades into console security, makers just about know their stuff and don't have to make the devices any kind of open like you might for a PC. Granted I was not going in for hotwiring, lockout, ECU swap or stealing radios type scenarios where things tend to make a more fun time (fight the things you know cause trouble and all that).

*one example from a friend just before I arrived last time. Rear car heater module all nicely on the CAN bus so it could be controlled from the front console. Someone in the factory had shoved a Chinese market module for North America vehicle. Complete mystery as to why it did not work when at the dealers with all their nice software as well being able to probe things. Would have been solved in two seconds if the blindingly obvious step of some kind of initialisation boundary scan where everything dumps a serial number or whatever and it is checked it is within a range... but no. Let's not even go into the front of the PCB for said console (another car though) not being conformally coated where the back side was and had been given a drink of coffee (an expensive hobby as it turns out) but I suppose that is more mechanical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack