Hacking Setting US Hacked Wii to Japan to buy Japanese Virtual Console games?

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Related threads:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/anyregionchanger-question.105629/#post-1408066

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-change-the-system-menu-region-for-your-wii.170971/#post-2156096

---

There's a game called Windjammers. At its cheapest, it would be around $40. The Neo Geo (non CD) version can be hundreds of dollars.

It is on the Japanese Virtual Console (translated page) for 900 Wii points (~900 JPY or $9 USD). It's called "Flying Power Disk" over there.

Does anyone have experience buying games from other regions? How can I add points? Do I need to buy a Japanese points card? Or a prepaid Japanese debit card?

At the very least, I want to buy this game, and when the process is done, still have a US-mode Wii that can play this Japanese game. (I have hacked it with Priiloader and all that other fun stuff, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.) Can I do this in *NEEK and rip out a WAD to put into my main US system NAND?

If possible, I would also like to dump it and get a ROM compatible with PC-based Neo Geo emulators. (edit: Sounds like this will be difficult. Those jerks encrypted Neo Geo ROMs.)

Thanks for any help.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
On the JP VC shop, you can use a credit card but it has to have a JP address or you can use a point card which you should be able to buy online. This is their JP VC page for all the ways you can buy points. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/shopping_ch/wii_points/index.html

As far as setting your Wii to buy the VC on another store, I've never done it but, the VC store wad is the same for all regions; it's your Wii's region settings (maybe system menu too) that determine which region it connects you to.

Reactions: W hat

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I've not tried this in a long while, but in order to access the Japan Channel, you have to format your current account before you can access it. If you're happy to do that (back up your downloads as WADs) then:

1. Go to the Wii Shop Channel
2. Format the current account (should take you back to the Main Menu)
3. Using the Homebrew Channel, Any region Changer app, change the shop code to '01' (might be called region, it's obvious which one to change).
4. Go to the Wii Shop Channel and tada! You're in the Japan Channel!

Simple. If you want to go back to the other channel, you have to repeat the above steps.

The good news is, the menus should still be in English, which makes life easier. Now you can either buy some Japan points (I recommend www.play-asia.com) if you want a safe way of getting the points.

You can use your debit / credit card (in my case, I used a UK Visa Debit) which will work fine (last time I tried anyway). Just keep in mind they will charge you a Tax fee (in my case only £1) and the payment isn't secure (unlike saying paying for stuff from amazon), but I've not had any problems.

Once you brought and download the game, you can dump it. There should be this tool called "fs-dumper" to make a 512MB raw dump. Then use "tf_wad_packer2" to find the data and make it a wad. If you need the tools, let me know and I'll upload them.

At the very least, I want to buy this game, and when the process is done, still have a US-mode Wii that can play this Japanese game. (I have hacked it with Priiloader and all that other fun stuff, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.) Can I do this in *NEEK and rip out a WAD to put into my main US system NAND?

From what my memory serves, the game will play fine on a US Wii. With Neo-Geo WADs, it detects weather to use NTSC or PAL50 and what language to display the emulator settings. All you would have to do is:
- Change the WADs region to 'US' or region free (easy)
- Modify the 00000001.app to load the Japan manual for the other languages (easy)
- Modify the 00000000.app (has the banner, icon and game details, I can easily do this)
- Change the save text name (if required)

Reactions: W hat

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have a hacked wii, why are you not trying the neogeo emulators? it just seems like this route would save you time.

-another world
Some people like keeping things strictly legal. I'm not exactly one of them, but if I can figure out how to legally get Windjammers for $10 rather than $100, other people might want to know.

Reactions: d.d.d.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl