Hacking Should I update all my ios to the newest versions?

micric100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using NUS Downloader or WiiSCU or any of these programs, should I download and install the latest versions of all my IOS? Would it be dangerous?

sgand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always go by if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I only update when it's absolutely necessary. No sense in screwing something up when you didn't have to.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Why would you? There's no sense in it...I would leave it. If everything works, there's no sense.

If you can't, then use DOP-IOS. This way, you can also Trucha-Patch it, and won't get the Stub/Mothball IOS. But read first...realy, read through it...

AGAIN: IF EVERYTHING WORKS, LEAVE IT!!!

micric100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok thanks, i guess i wont update anything, do any games need the newer versions of ios to work, I know alot of them come with the newer IOS on disk, but so far they've all worked without installing the newer versions.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Newer games do not need newer IOS revisions to work. They may need newer IOSes. (In other words, if you have IOS30 v1040 then IOS30 v2576 is not needed, but IOS55 might be needed if it's missing.)

Bent

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It IS dangerous depending on the system menu version you have. If you are still on 3.2 and haven't upgraded and you install the most recent IOS30, you will brick, since IOS30 is now a stub IOS. Be careful.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IOS ... reinstall ... upgrade ...

NO!
Never do it if it's not necessary and/or you know exactly what you do!

Example:
Also you get a banner brick if you have sysmenu 4.* and reinstall only the IOS60 if preloader is installed.

It work if you install the sysmenu and IOS60, but if you only install the IOS60 will brick the Wii.

Ok, i don't know if there is an old/new IOS60(i own an Wii since five weeks and have a lot to learn
wink.gif
), but this is an example that an IOS update could be a problem.
I read here a lot about bricked Wii's and i think it can be dangerous if there is no NAND backup and bootmii at boot2.

If there is a NAND Backup and bootmii as boot2 try what you want.
biggrin.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Example:
...you get a banner brick if you have sysmenu 4.* and reinstall only the IOS60 if preloader is installed.

It work if you install the sysmenu and IOS60, but if you only install the IOS60 will brick the Wii.

It does cause the wii to give "System Files corrupt", but it's easily fixed. Just Go to preloader-HBC-Reinstall preloader.

Also, its not a banner brick. It is caused by a patch in IOS60 (put there by preloader's installer) being missing. Preloader can't load the menu right without it.

Installing the menu with it works only because it removes preloader.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use DOP-IOS it is perfectly safe. It will not let you install stub IOSs. I used it to update all of my IOSs on two of my Wii consoles. Did I need to update? No. But I guess I am just a stickler for having the latest versions
smile.gif

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
If you use DOP-IOS it is perfectly safe. It will not let you install stub IOSs. I used it to update all of my IOSs on two of my Wii consoles. Did I need to update? No. But I guess I am just a stickler for having the latest versions
smile.gif
I think the only one I left alone was IOS36, because I seem to have problems with the ES_Identify patch. That's really the only IOS most homebrew uses anyway (though perhaps they will migrate to IOS60 eventually, as the new HBC uses it).

micric100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the replies, lots of good info, i read the thread about not reinstalling ios that your systemmenu is using, because it could cause bricks.

One other question though, if in the future I need to update and I use dop-ios, what's the ES_Identify patch all about? what does it do, and why would I need it?

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I just update via waninkoko's latest updater. Am now on 4.1E and can run Wii Sports Resort without a problem and stuff from the SD card. I can see no reason why you shouldn't update to the latest version, albeit an unofficial one lol.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
"ES_Identify" is comparable to "Administrator" on Windows and sudo on *nix machines. It granted super user privileges, so pretty much anything was modifiable.

rest_easy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if I want to install homebrew channel and usbloader on my wii that is currently at 3.2u (never been updated past that) should I try to run this DOP-ios updater as well? If so which ios's tend to need updating and which are better left alone?
And should I go beyond 3.2? I recall that being the bees knees of system menus but I don't know.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rest_easy said:
so if I want to install homebrew channel and usbloader on my wii that is currently at 3.2u (never been updated past that) should I try to run this DOP-ios updater as well? If so which ios's tend to need updating and which are better left alone?
And should I go beyond 3.2? I recall that being the bees knees of system menus but I don't know.

It isn't really all that special anymore, you can update to 4.0 or 4.1 fine. Just use Waninkoko's updater.

rest_easy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
rest_easy said:

It isn't really all that special anymore, you can update to 4.0 or 4.1 fine. Just use Waninkoko's updater.

Ok. Does that mean it doesn't matter if it's on 3.2 or 4.0 or 4.1? Are there benefits to being on 4.0 or 4.1? (besides wii sports resort being the only one)
I have ciosrev13a Usbloadergx and both bootmii on boot2 and starfall (from back in the day I know)

What are the positives to updating? Thanks. (i thought it was the ios's updating but I guess not/it doesn't matter???)

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You won't be able to use starfall on 4.0/4.1, but that is outclassed and not really needed anymore due to preloader or startpatch. I believe they have more system menu hacks than starfall does and preloader's brick protection is a lot better though they are both pretty much unnecessary in that regard with a boot2 install of bootmii.

Also with 4.0/4.1 you get the SD card menu so you can hold an extra 20 pages of channels on your SD card and if you patch IOS60 after upgrading you can use installed VC wads in the SD card menu as well.

As long as you have a cIOS installed, you aren't really limited in doing anything on 4.0 or 4.1 that you can do on 3.2

4.0 and 4.1 are pretty much exactly the same thing, but 4.1 just fixes a bug with using the SD card menu and then playing Wii Sports Resort again (will make you watch the motionplus video everytime you use the SD card menu instead of just the first time you play the game.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: :rofl2: