Hacking So a new SD Card has been announced

D

Deleted User

Astrax said:
I think next generation consoles will likely use flash cards or something of sorts instead of discs.
If today a 8gb SD card goes for 14$, imagine its price in 3 years. For 14$ you will probably be able to get a half TB one.

extremely unlikely.
think about it.
today a 4gb SD will cost around $10?
a 4.7GB DVD will cost your close to 40c (I'm using Australian pricing here, so for you americans it's going to be cheaper)

dual layer dvd, $1? cheaper if you're mass producing obviously.
8gb sd $14

Blu Ray discs? not too sure, although i would think that a blank one would be less then $5?
16GB SD, $20.

Discs are always going to be cheaper than solid state media.

davedeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
omg...thats realy amazing...2tb on a sd card
blink.gif

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa Whoa hey!

I spent 8$ on a 1GB SD card. Retail wise, SD cards are still expensive. 4 GB is like 30-40$.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolffangalchemist said:
Phratt said:
Whoa Whoa hey!

I spent 8$ on a 1GB SD card. Retail wise, SD cards are still expensive. 4 GB is like 30-40$.
um i payed $10 for my 4gig one at a local store.....i think you got ripped off.
i paid $18 on 8gb card online 3-day shipping a 1 gb probably would been $1

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goten said:
wolffangalchemist said:
vegita what does the scouter say about SDXC's capacity level?
IT'S OVER 9000!
LOL LOL LOL

...With 15 million blocks we can now say that our Wii's power level is 15 million... that automatically beats Frieza who had a PL of 1 million. *Puts pinky near mouth and imitates Dr. Evil* 15 miiiillllion blocks lol

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dnmn8e said:
Blu Ray discs? not too sure, although i would think that a blank one would be less then $5?

Depends on which brand. Single layer Blu-Ray discs can get up to around 12$ each lowest is usually 5$. Blu-Ray DL are about 35$ a disc.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EnigmaXtreme said:
Who else finds it stupid that SanDisk can slap on a RockBand 2 or Wii logo on an SD Card and charge double for it. How can that even be legal?
yup they still sell the 2gig wii ones at wal mart for $20.
when you can get one that's 2gig as well for $8 or less right around the corner in the camera section.
only reason they sell is some 8 year olds mom doesn't know that the wii doesn't have a specific Brand of sd card to use one and thinks the wii logo means it's a official memory card for the wii, and will continue to sell for that reason alone as long as moms don't get wise.
i swear i have told a many of them you can get one cheaper around the corner at the cameras they usually do except one who tried to argue with me they won't work with it cuz there not "the right kind" aka don't say "for wii" on them.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was the one who brought the story to GBATemp. The original story was on Slashdot (/.)

The 2TB is a theoretical possibility, not a guarantee... They also claim to be able to reach 16exbibytes (exobytes) (16x1024 petabytes).

Are these capacities realistic? yes. In the next year or so, no chance in hell.

Hard drives are barely able to scratch 1TB, so don't expect to see a 16EB memory card in the next 10 years!

Green0scar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zidane_genome said:
I was the one who brought the story to GBATemp. The original story was on Slashdot (/.)

The 2TB is a theoretical possibility, not a guarantee... They also claim to be able to reach 16exbibytes (exobytes) (16x1024 petabytes).

Hard drives are barely able to scratch 1TB, so don't expect to see a 16EB memory card in the next 10 years!
Nope, it was all me

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=128...p;#entry1691043

radionds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But even with 2 GB we can't use it properly on our wii..Nintendo have to make something to load the save games,virtual consoles games and Wiiware games directly from the SD card or maybe a homebrew that run a .wad

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

It is possible. DNA computers *may* use DNA as binary numbers. In the next 50 years, we will have a 500 yottabyte SD card which is 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MacOS X, WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu, RedHat... And you'd still have more room than you'd know what to do with!

Sad thing is, I don't think you can partition an SD card, lol

Posts merged

acesniper said:
zidane_genome said:

It is possible. DNA computers *may* use DNA as binary numbers. In the next 50 years, we will have a 500 yottabyte SD card which is 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes

That's why I said its a theoretical possiblity, but not within the next 10 or so years to get 16exobytes!

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zidane_genome said:
MacOS X, WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu, RedHat... And you'd still have more room than you'd know what to do with!

well you never know it may be possible!
biggrin.gif

except if Win7 sucks anus like vista, than i think we wont want that. XD

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vidboy10 said:
zidane_genome said:

well you never know it may be possible!
biggrin.gif

except if Win7 sucks anus like vista, than i think we wont want that. XD
You can partition an SD card. Installing whiite linux for wii requires you to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Me niether, us north Koreans don't care