Gaming So I bought a Xbox 360 Elite..But need help flashing

amzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, Please help...

Can I flash this Lite-on Drive? Its Model No: DG-16d2s-09c Hardware Version A0A2?...If so please can I have some assistance...I have Vista x64 and have 2 SATA connections to 2 Hard Drives (2nd one I installed myself for more HDD space....But the CD Drives connected are IDE?

I have never flashed an xbox 360 before so please go easy on me....Atleast I got as far as getting the DVD Drive out!!
rolleyes.gif

MAny Thanks

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashing makes it easy to break the X Box 360 if you do it your self. I had to pay someone,but then again I suck at physical work.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
A bit of homework/research never hurt anyone. Google is your best friend.

That aside, here's how it works. For Samsung, BenQ and Toshiba drives, all you need is a SATA cable and JungleFlasher, Iprep, DosFlasher, or whatever other flasher tools are available. Google tutorials to find/use them and where to find the right firmwares (like iXtreme). They're pretty easy to do.

For LiteOn, it all depends on what version you have. IIRC, A0A2 would be LiteOn 7 series, the same as mine, and easily the more common of the LiteOns. LiteOn 7 doesn't like letting us see its key, or even accessing it with a computer, so you need a little bit of kit to connect to it. This is the connectivity kit, the most popular 2 being CK3 Pro and Maximus. You also need a probe/spear that pokes a particular hole in the LiteOn PCB (board for putting chips in) in order to even enable it to dump its key - this is why LiteOn 7s are annoying to flash. The kit usually costs around £30, with another £11 for the probe/spear.

The kit used to use serial only, but now it comes with USB - you just need to download and install the drivers before even trying.

If you're lucky, you'll have a LiteOn 8 series. Clever people have found a "back hole" for flashing it so you don't need the probe/spear, although you still need the kit, from what I've read. However there is also a big thread in the xbox scene about LiteOn 8 drives that do not dump the key (I hear these are mostly exclusively elites or xboxes that have been repaired by M$). These are generally the newest ones, used in some xboxs after July '09. Check the back of your Xbox to see when it was made.

I've also read that flashing LiteOns can be dangerous for the drive. If you don't disable the laser before flashing, there's a chance the laser might become bricked. If that happens, then it's easiest to grab a spare drive/laser from ebay to switch the lasers around - I hear BenQ or LiteOn lasers work (LiteOn I hear was developed by BenQ and Phillips too).

I've read a lot of tutorials and things around the whole flashing process so I'm pretty confident I can do it right if I had all the parts, but if you're not so confident then it really is best to try and find a pro to do it for you. There are many all over the place, just have to find them. Or you can try asking nicely for another 'temper to do it for you, although that purely depends on who reads it, where they are located, and if they are kind enough to do it for you.

Oh, and remember that M$ CAN detect flashed firmwares, so the risk of banning is always there. It's also much more likely if you play games not yet released in your region, or games that haven't been properly "stealthed", or badly dumped games, or games on bad media/been burned badly. And while I'm at it, you can only use DVD+R DL media (Verbatim is best). If you're still confident, good luck (and wish me luck too with getting mine flashed)
biggrin.gif

amzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies...But this was what threw me? hxxp://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f14/new-lite-dg-16d2s-09c-49339/ Also is it possible to use the SATA cable that is currently used for secondary HDD with the xbox feeding the power to the lite on drive? ...How do I know if I have 7 or the 8 series?... The Manufacture date may 2009 FW version is 83850C does this mean 8 series?

I have installed PortIO32 manually into the system32/drivers folder and have iprep v10.7...Can also download what ever else is required...Would ideally like a bit of guidence with how to hook it up to PC and flashing...

Thanks

Been looking around and got more info on this...However I cannot find a file called Lo83info_32.exe any ideas on where I can get it?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To find the files you want for the program you decide to use, follow the tutorials for using those programs. Tutorials normally provide all the software needed with links to external storage sites. I've never heard of Lo83info_32.exe myself, so I can't help there.

Since your MFR is May '09, and you tell me your FW is v8xxxx, that means you have a LiteOn 8 series drive and it will almost certainly be flashable (lucky you
biggrin.gif
)

Have a look at the tutorial at http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-152/ju...ncluded-797756/ . It explains the process from start to end with pictures. It also tells you that you'll need a connectivity kit (like CK3 or Maximus) to hook it up to the PC and, as usual, a "compatible SATA chipset", which usually means NVIDIA or VIA SATA controllers.

You can also look at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=174016 from a fellow 'temper, who rounded up all the info regarding LiteOn into a neat and tidy post. I would list a few other links to tutorials I've been looking at for LiteOn, although they're on forums that I believe we're not allowed to link to for legal reasons. As usual, Google is your best friend. Just look for all the LiteOn flashing tutorials Google gives you, see what's common in them all, and gain a full understanding of the process before you try and do it yourself.

Oh, and to be more helpful, here's a link to one of the posts I read about "bricked lasers": http://www.ixtreme.net/general-support/bef...iteon-t524.html .

EDIT: Cunny's guide to flashing, which was linked in the digital kaos site you linked, also seems pretty good showing you exactly what you need to do for a LiteOn series 7 drive. It also includes a PDF for flashing LiteOn 8 drives. http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f14/c...complete-49944/

amzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Many Thanks for your help...I was hoping to do this without having to get the additional KIT...But as my SATA is only for the Master and slave and IDE is the cables for my DVD drives (seconday Master) the sata does not get recognised at all....Even installed XP on a seperate partition on my PC!...I think I will contact a friend to see if he has the KIT and get him to do it...Otherwise if someone is around the Tooting area, London that can do please PM me!!

Again...Thanks for the help!

If I can only do it myself..can anyone recommend a cheap but easy way of getting this done?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Unfortuantely, the only way you'll be able to get out of using the kit is to get a friend/pro to do it for you. I'm getting tempted to get the kit myself, then maybe start my own lil flashing service, but I won't try until I've seen it done on my own Xbox first. For pros, they usually charge something like £20-35 for their service, although they usually come with a guarantee too - get it working or your money back.

Something I didn't understand in your post... the thing about "SATA is only for the Master and slave" ... as far as I know, SATA doesn't have any Master/Slave settings. SATA drives typically don't have any jumpers at all, except for some older models that enable you to disable the extra speed so it's compatible with older motherboards. Whilst SATA may be used in "IDE mode" in BIOS, that still shouldn't affect IDE drives because they're handled by different controllers.

In any case, for that matter, you could get a PCI SATA adapter if you can't use onboard SATA ports. They're only around £7 on ebay and provide 2 internal SATA ports and an internal IDE port (and usually 1 external SATA port). The one I received in the post this morning tells me it can only support 3 devices at any one time (2 SATA and 1 IDE) but that's still plenty. It also has the VIA chipset if your motherboard doesn't support raw command sending (the thing that lets you flash your drive).

amzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK a friend of mine managed to do this for me....but the drive seems quite noisy and some games play well and others (like GTA IV) after a short bit of gameplay come up with a prompt asking me to clean the disk??.....could it be that the drive speed is not set correctly?...If so how can I rectify this...or is it just a bad burn? Thanks in advance..

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Drive speed is fine. Default is 12x and hasn't been changeable for a while now (I forget which version of ixtreme they started to lock to 12x only). What discs are you using?

amzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Datawrite Titanium DVD+R DL - I have burnt games for the wii like smash bros brawl and metroid prime trilogy and they play fine...When burning I do get a prompt from imgburn asking me if I wish to use the Image Specified layer break....I click yes to this...

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For best results, use Verbatims, burn with IMG burn, at a reasonable speed.

Clicking YES to the image layer break is what you should do

Word of advice, check your backups to verify weather its safe to play your backups online. Use abgx360 to do so.

amzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks MAZ7006...Ran through abgx360 and reburnt with the .dvd file not .iso and it works fine now......

1 last question....With the original xbox we had our own dashboards....and were able to load codecs we wanted....Was wondering if it is possible to connect a HDD and play .mkv files through the xbox 360? If so do I need to load additional codec required manually?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the original xbox we had/have full homebrew, such things do exist for the 360 although they are nowhere near as fully developed as the original xbox or even the wii (you also need an xbox that has not had any updates beyond and including the August the 11th 2009 update).

There is no way to play MKV unless you use a PC as a frontend for decoding and the xbox as a tried and true streaming device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +2
  • VXNlcm5hbWU @ VXNlcm5hbWU:
    Just had a pure banger of a sandwich there, was very nice
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what do you call a dog with no legs?