So this is the iPhone, eh?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I not really fussed with what phones have become, not long ago I needed a new one and decided to get the most basic one I could find - it's not colour, it does SMS and it makes calls.

I've got a computer at home thankyou very much.

friedchicken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
also on a side note... are they allowed to call it the iPhone if there are already products on the market with the same name?

They cant call it that if it already copyrighted. Just like how I cant build a computer and sell it by the name Alienware.

I have nothing against apple. They sometimes comes out with good products. $600 phone, not a bad price if you consider phone prices w/o contracts. This is too bulky for my taste though. I'd rather buy 2 more Wii's with money left over for accesories than get this.

lumo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Meh - nokia made the harddrive phone first with N91. I got it and fell in love, 4gb for music plus symbian OS (for anyone who doesnt know that means loadsa cool apps, games and emus) and nokias 'next gen' games coming out later this year. All apple seems to have different is a touch screen but i have a DS for touch screen gaming and buttons are fine for everything else
tongue.gif

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bet this phone will have crappy reception
nyanya.gif

(I bet I'm the only one who has thought of that)

It does look PRETTY DANG ROTTEN SWEET though. I might get one if it comes to T-Mobile for cheap with a contract. Just maybe...

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't bash them.

Go ahead, try it.

Me? I hated the idea of apple and everybody flocking to them (like the ipod, and some people _still_ do dispise people with one)

But if apple does it well, and IT DOES DO IT WELL, then I have no qualms.
Except about the price. But other than that, its one damn badass, ninja killing device.

edit-
oh yeah, no way in hell is it gona suck. if they keep this a secret and dissapoint everybody.. well, you know where I'm going.

it already beat the zune's ass.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
If they can make it so I can get my music and videos on my PC via Wi-Fi and iTunes, then I'm sold. I've been looking for a device that can do this well for a while now.

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea its kewl i gotta addmit
but latley apple has been doing all these things and is going all around technology.
Me and my friend decide the next thing its gonna come up wit is ICOCK and IPUSSY
hahah

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand the phone fad. A phone should make calls and that's it. I'm perfectly happy with my old-fashioned phone with no color screen and no fancy games. I use it maybe once or twice a month to make a call if I get lost or something. Why do I need my phone to be able to butter my toast? That's what a knife is for.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Where do I sign over my soul for one of these?

Now that's a gadget! No longer will you need to carry around an ipod and your mobile. There's some amazing technology on display in that phone. I guess the iPhone is the long rumored touch screen enabled iPod. It looks great.

Not that I can afford it or justify buying one, but if someone gave me one for free I'd certainly be very happy.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Where do I sign over my soul for one of these?

Now that's a gadget! No longer will you need to carry around an ipod and your mobile. There's some amazing technology on display in that phone. I guess the iPhone is the long rumored touch screen enabled iPod. It looks great.

Not that I can afford it or justify buying one, but if someone gave me one for free I'd certainly be very happy.

IIRC, during the conference, they announced the 2-year cost on the Cingular network. Its Apple and Cingular...double bummer...

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I lie somewhere between Opium and jumpman on this (no there's not a joke there, don't try..) I would love to have just a damn phone.. beep beep beep, I'm makin' a call, that's it.

BUT, if I'm gonna have to pay 30+ bucks a month, it'd better do something else. Take a picture, be a PIM, play some music, something fancy-shmancy, to be worth the monthly fee. I would rather have a 10 buck a month phone any day though.

The iPhone does a lot, but god only knows how much you're gonna have to pay a month to use all it's features. (I know first hand how Sprint gets ya with the "vision" stuff.)

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't doubt it's a huge battery burner, my iPod video sure is. I just need a new phone...my Treo 650 sucks (I can't use half the features!). I just want a regular cell phone (maybe one of them RAZR's)...So I'll lay off this iPhone it'll probably be super expensive anyways.

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I chuckled when I saw the $599 price for the 8GB model.
smile.gif

I like the phone and all, but I'm not ready for that price yet, but then again, I'm not into the whole cellphone craze. However, multi-touch is intriguing...

I also found it interesting that Apple is not longer called Apple Computer, just Apple. They are starting to expand into consumer electronics...hm..

Maybe I'll just wait for iPhone 2nd generation.
biggrin.gif

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would be nice to have one item in my pocket that could be a phone, a PDA, a MP3 Player, shit even a handheld gaming device...I still carry my DS, my phone, my PDA and a digital camera with me at all times so my pockets are always full =( Jesus the fingerprints will kill me on this though....And yes prepare to be RAPED on extras fees for internet access and all the extras...I recently got sick of spending 30 a month in sidekick fees switched to ATT's for 15 a month but Its limited interent....so yea 600 dollar phone...30-40 bucks a month...oh and yea...and extra 30 for interntet....thank god I gotta good job...I shall pick one of this up I believe...however I do like GPS....maybe I will wait for one with GPS

brins0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
brins0net.homeip.net
XP
Country
It amuses me that apple dare even attempt to make a phone. Their iPods, imo, are sub standard audio players. There arn't really any good portable audio players on the market that can muster the quality of a Creative X-Fi card and a good £110 Sennheiser headphones...

And onto the iPhone now. It will NOT run OSX at all... Saying that runs OSX is like saying my phone runs Windows... They will have developed a highly stripped down version of OSX that will have limited features. I don't see many software developers diving to make applications for it, unlike with the WM5 smartphones/pdas which have applications from thousands of developers.

Big wow, 8GB in a phone, like that's not been seen before... My old pda had a CF card slot that would take upto 32GB microdrives, and it had an audio chip in it far superior to the ones found in the iPods.

Any idea what the speed of the processor in this thing is? I'm betting it will not be overclockable, and I doubt it will be lenient on the battery. Making swish graphics is all well and good, but you can fool the unsuspecting public into thinking your device is powerful by heavilly optimising the graphics drawing part of the hardware, and leaving the rest alone.

There are no details there to show how much RAM it has to actually run applications, so it could be limited to summit like 64Mb for the OS and all the programs like it is on most smartphones.

And what is this multi tab thing they're on about? Does that mean that you can touch in multiple places on the screen at the same tiume, and it can interpret all the loactions it's been touched. This would require a MASSIVE redesign of current touchscreen technology, or some software trickery...

Right rant over, I'm sure there were some questions in there somewhere...

zombgief

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It amuses me that apple dare even attempt to make a phone. Their iPods, imo, are sub standard audio players. There arn't really any good portable audio players on the market that can muster the quality of a Creative X-Fi card and a good £110 Sennheiser headphones...
Perhaps the point of having portable audio is portability? With the trade-off being sound quality... I don't remember if Apple is marketing the iPod as having the best sound quality out there, but I also don't think that Creative is marketing the X-Fi as the most portable audio playback device, either...

And onto the iPhone now. It will NOT run OSX at all... Saying that runs OSX is like saying my phone runs Windows... They will have developed a highly stripped down version of OSX that will have limited features. I don't see many software developers diving to make applications for it, unlike with the WM5 smartphones/pdas which have applications from thousands of developers.
Why can't it run OSX? I was always under the impression that modern mobile devices were more than capable of running some distributions of Linux that had a smaller footprint, or perhaps embedded Linux. Since all of the windowing and graphic operations in OSX are handled by Quartz, which relies on the presence of a GPU (whereas older Linux window managers did now), the GPU should be able to take a huge load off of what the CPU would've needed to do to handle the "windowing". But it doesn't even seem like the OSX that iPhone runs supports actual "windowing", all the apps shown so far look like they run full-screen.

Big wow, 8GB in a phone, like that's not been seen before... My old pda had a CF card slot that would take upto 32GB microdrives, and it had an audio chip in it far superior to the ones found in the iPods.
The difference may be that the iPhone is making use of flash-based storage instead storage that is mechanical-based, like the high capacity microdrives that you mentioned. I recall reading somewhere that because of its mechanical nature, microdrives would have a higher failure rate than a flash-based counter part, as well as higher power consumption, thus reducing the battery life?

Any idea what the speed of the processor in this thing is? I'm betting it will not be overclockable, and I doubt it will be lenient on the battery. Making swish graphics is all well and good, but you can fool the unsuspecting public into thinking your device is powerful by heavilly optimising the graphics drawing part of the hardware, and leaving the rest alone.
I would like to see some specs on the CPU myself. Are smartphone or PDA CPUs normally overclockable? If the battery life of 16 hours they quoted for just doing music playback (or 5 hours of talktime) is accurate, that would probably be quite decent. I'm not quite sure what you mean by heavily optimizing the graphics hardware, but I believe that Core Animation and Quartz Extreme-like effects will be carried out by a mini GPU like the Nvidia GoForce series.

There are no details there to show how much RAM it has to actually run applications, so it could be limited to summit like 64Mb for the OS and all the programs like it is on most smartphones.
Yeah, I really wanna know how much RAM this thing will have as well...

And what is this multi tab thing they're on about? Does that mean that you can touch in multiple places on the screen at the same tiume, and it can interpret all the loactions it's been touched. This would require a MASSIVE redesign of current touchscreen technology, or some software trickery...
Well the multi-touch interface has been researched for quite a number of years at various research institutions, I believe. They even released a demo video of a much larger multi-touch display a while back... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-AZrkFuCZo I'm not sure if it can interpret ANY number of touch inputs... but it seems like it can handle at least three at once. Probably not software trickery...

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was one of the mugs that paid full price for the Ngage thinking it was the next big thing. Nokia mostly relyed on 3rd party developers and thats one of the many reasons it failed. Most of the games being no better than the GBA didn't help either. I've learned my lesson now and won't even be entertaining the idea of buying one of these. Loads of other stuff I can thing of doing with $500. You'll probably drop this once and thats all your money down the drain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2