• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

So, why is Obama so popular?

Trulen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty. I'll let you know beforehand. I'm politically unbiased.
Actually, I lie.
I'm politically uninterested. So I don't play favorites. 'Cause I usually don't care enough.

But this has got me going. People tout Obama as savior of the entire planet. The entire planet.
And this was being said many months before be acutally was elected.
I dunno about you, but I don't know about many unkrupt politicians. And the lame excuse "Well, they're krupt too" is a terrible excuse.

So, what's so great about Obama here?

Things you're not allowed to say:
1. He's the frist African-American president. (Really, what does African American mean nowadays? The color of their skin is black, or dark? Or bottom-side-of-a-twinkie-yellow?)

2. Anything about Bush. The man's long gone and served his time. I'd love some peace and quiet if I were him.

3. He's going to fix the country.

4. He's going to save the world.

5. He's going to [insert action here]

The "going to's" are for the campaing trail. The "is doing" is for when they're in office. What is he doing that makes him so great. Not what he's going to do

But I have been watchin' ole Obama man a little bit. I especially enjoyed his speech at the NAACP. "Yeah. You're black. What the heck does it matter?"
I may have paraphrased, but that's what I got from it. And I respect the man for it. Whoever wrote that speech worded it just enough to where the country isn't screaming "RACIST PRESIDENT."

Off Topic: What does the NAACP do nowadays? Haven't they served their purpose?
Another Off Topic: And what's will all these Female only, and Black Only, and Black Female only scholarships? Being a white male somehow makes me a bad candidate to win those scholarships.

But other than that, I only know he's supported massive government spending. I may have heard the wrong things, but is it true that the national debt has quadrupled since his election?

Also, did he have any control over the Proposition in California? I know he supports gay rights, so there must be some kinda barrier that kept him from affecting the bill.

Aren't there soldiers still over in Iraq? And soldiers still being sent there? Wasn't he supposed to take 'em out?

I'm all for giving the man the praise that everyone else on the internet gives him.
But only if he deserves it.

The man has a metric crapton of charisma. There is absolutely no denying that.
But I don't know if the government used that to their advantage.
Using Obama as a mere puppet to do their bidding.
Because, if Obama does it, then he gets mass approval (though lately his policy approval has been going down. I don't understand it.)

This is as confusing to me as the complete obsession over Michael Jackson after he died. I saw a 400 page book in walmart today. "The Final Years of Michael Jackson." Taking advantage of a dead man much?

I just may go crawl in my hole and never vote.

HisInfernalMajes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People like Obama so much because of his convincing voice. Have you ever listened to him in a speech? He is so convincing, and people respect that. I realize you don't want references to Bush, but Bush wasn't so popular to the public (where I'm coming from) because it sounds like he's trying to joke his way out of every speech he gives.

In response to jaxxster, Obama does seem like a "pussy". One of the great things that Bush does is the War in Iraq, which in my opinion, is for foreign oil. Now Obama ruins the groundwork laid by Bush by pulling out troops, and in time, ending the U.S's involvement in Iraq.

I may not know what I may be talking about, but hey, those are my beliefs. Heck, I'm just a 15 year old kid.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He is very charismatic and that's part of the reason why he got so far in the election (2 years ago, he was just a senator and no one has even heard of him). I followed the 2008 election very closely and I can tell you that no one suspected that he would win. This was when Hilary Clinton was more popular, and this was when Rudy Guiliani was supposed to be the Republican candidate and John McCain was just another Viet war vet no one cared about.

I really don't care about the whole black issue, as it's clear he isn't going to make it legal for blacks to kill whites.

He really couldn't do shit about Cali's Prop 8 bill, it's a state issue, not a federal issue. Complain to Arnold if you're unhappy. The president will never make any law about gay marriage, because this is something the states have to decide on their own.

As for the war in Iraq, he never promised that he would bring back all the soldiers immediately. And I thought most Americans were educated enough to know that we must stay there longer, retreats just don't work, as history has told us.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trulen said:
Alrighty. I'll let you know beforehand. I'm politically unbiased.
Actually, I lie.
I'm politically uninterested. So I don't play favorites. 'Cause I usually don't care enough.

But this has got me going. People tout Obama as savior of the entire planet. The entire planet.
And this was being said many months before be acutally was elected.
I dunno about you, but I don't know about many unkrupt politicians. And the lame excuse "Well, they're krupt too" is a terrible excuse.

So, what's so great about Obama here?

Things you're not allowed to say:
1. He's the frist African-American president. (Really, what does African American mean nowadays? The color of their skin is black, or dark? Or bottom-side-of-a-twinkie-yellow?)

2. Anything about Bush. The man's long gone and served his time. I'd love some peace and quiet if I were him.

3. He's going to fix the country.

4. He's going to save the world.

5. He's going to [insert action here]

The "going to's" are for the campaing trail. The "is doing" is for when they're in office. What is he doing that makes him so great. Not what he's going to do

But I have been watchin' ole Obama man a little bit. I especially enjoyed his speech at the NAACP. "Yeah. You're black. What the heck does it matter?"
I may have paraphrased, but that's what I got from it. And I respect the man for it. Whoever wrote that speech worded it just enough to where the country isn't screaming "RACIST PRESIDENT."

Off Topic: What does the NAACP do nowadays? Haven't they served their purpose?
Another Off Topic: And what's will all these Female only, and Black Only, and Black Female only scholarships? Being a white male somehow makes me a bad candidate to win those scholarships.

But other than that, I only know he's supported massive government spending. I may have heard the wrong things, but is it true that the national debt has quadrupled since his election?

Also, did he have any control over the Proposition in California? I know he supports gay rights, so there must be some kinda barrier that kept him from affecting the bill.

Aren't there soldiers still over in Iraq? And soldiers still being sent there? Wasn't he supposed to take 'em out?

I'm all for giving the man the praise that everyone else on the internet gives him.
But only if he deserves it.

The man has a metric crapton of charisma. There is absolutely no denying that.
But I don't know if the government used that to their advantage.
Using Obama as a mere puppet to do their bidding.
Because, if Obama does it, then he gets mass approval (though lately his policy approval has been going down. I don't understand it.)

This is as confusing to me as the complete obsession over Michael Jackson after he died. I saw a 400 page book in walmart today. "The Final Years of Michael Jackson." Taking advantage of a dead man much?

I just may go crawl in my hole and never vote.

What is he doing? You mean for only the first 6 months that he's been in office? Give me a break. Give it two years then you'd have a legitimate complaint. Politically unbiased...right? Politically uninterested....right? Fence sitters and their complaints.

I don't know what little world you live in but discrimination still happens on both race and gender. When African-Americans become a majority then I'll understand the question of why is there still a NAACP.

About Iraq, the draw down is happening. It's been happening. Apparently, you like to complain, but don't listen to the news about the withdraws of U.S. troops from major cities.

My question is if you're politically uninterested, did you vote? If the answer is no, you have nothing to complain about.

Trulen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Jiggah. Quite an informative post. No sarcasm intended. I truly mean it.

Though I thought more on NAACP. Racism isn't much of a "Whitie hatin' the black folk" thing anymore. It's more universal and everyone gets to eat a slice, and hand out a slice of the racist-pie. So maybe there should be a NAAP? And drop the "Colored" section of it?

And I didn't vote as I believe none of the candidates deserved my vote. But that's a little unfair, because I never researched the lesser parties that got very little attention.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it can't.It takes longer then 6 months.I don't think he'll change anything though.The stimulus package thing really didn't do anything to help our economy .

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
triassic911 said:
Ferrariman said:
triassic911 said:
Because changing the entire infrastructure of a country can be ultimately achieved in 6 months. Right?
No, because he turned his back on everything he promised. If anything is "changing", it's for the worst.
He still has 3.5 years.
Yea he still has time.You can't expect him to do what he promised in 6 months.I still think he won't change anything though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    classic controller funky kong flame runner is overrated, i prefer wii wheel wario flame runner
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i returned
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm happy its first person.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All big titles should offer first and 3rd person it's been a thing since like gtaV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing Killer Clowns from Outer Space all day, is pretty fun. Basically Friday 13th but with clowns. One of my favorite b rated movies from way back.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, is it a game or a movie? get decided!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its a game based off the old movie
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a down scene with slow drums
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh cool that Bodycam games out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ratings for it are calling it bad, but it looks cool. Damn 48/100 rating.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    looks are deceiving
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea people always down vote games anymore seems like, good or bad, bunch of haters
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, review bombing?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah seems like people hate on original ideas anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh were sorry our small dev team can't shit out a cod clone every 6 months
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly positive on steam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eew, you use steam, I'm down voting you cause you not using or playing what I like.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes and epic and gog, sleep with me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Homophobic
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, whats wrong with steam?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nothing, I was just teasing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's a big tease trying to take my booty