Hacking Soldering Iron unable to heat??

indiraider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I think my soldering Iron is busted, I have a 15watt radioshack one like in the guide. No matter how long I heat it up it wont melt solder at its tip of its tip but it can still melt at the base of the tip. It used to melt at the tip, what went wrong??

mrdan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 'shack iron and it worked great for about 10 installs before it started to die. Now it will heat up and sometimes melt solder and sometimes go cold in the middle of an install. It's probably a bad heating element but it also could be an intermittent connection between the power cable and the element. Either way, just take it to them and tell them it broke. They should give you a new one.

dohclude

Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
lolz, your tips is just gunked up from oxidation. Take a look at the very tip... it's all black/brown isn't it? What I do is keep a small file on hand so that I can gently "rough" the tip up a bit every once in awhile. This will remove the oxidation from the tip, allowing the head to properly transfer and melt the solder.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolz, your tips is just gunked up from oxidation. Take a look at the very tip... it's all black/brown isn't it? What I do is keep a small file on hand so that I can gently "rough" the tip up a bit every once in awhile. This will remove the oxidation from the tip, allowing the head to properly transfer and melt the solder.

Exactly my thought.

Not really the best to file down your tip though. Better to get some tip tinner/cleaner

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalo...eds&ATT=froogle

indiraider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well your were definitely right the tip was dead black, but without knowing I returned it to the radio shack and the stupid guy just gave me another one.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tin the tip first (coat it with solder), heat the iron up until full heat then apply generous amount of solder to it.

else you will face oxidization again, if their nickle or other metal plated then try fine sandpaper to scratch it up a little or just remove the plating and expose the copper for easier tinning, if it gets oxidized then use sandpaper or tip cleaner to remove.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Thats the method I use
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==