Sony Comes Clean- Personal Data Stolen

markdgx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was not trying to say that it's 100% the hackers fault :')
It's just that people here are blaming it all on Sony, while it isn't 100% their fault either.
If hackers didn't mess with the system, none of this would have happened.
If the hackers who hacked the PS3 after the removal of OtherOS didn't hack the system, it would be a lot harder to hack the PSN(atleast, I suppose so).

But yeah, since people on this forum(including me) just won't bend their opinions, it's pretty useless to keep this discussion going.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jorpor said:
Now that was sarcastic, twiztidsinz. The security worked, untill the hackers started to fuck with it.
Hackers who started doing this all because of the removal of Other OS. That's just pathetic. They didn't get what they wanted, so they screw it up for gamers all around the world.

So yeah, don't blame the hackers for any of this, it's all Sony's fault!!

Die hackers, just die.

Again, you can't blame it all on the hackers.

Sony brought this upon themselves. Notice how nobody really messed with the PS3 at all really until recently? Because of the way Sony became this year.

They had no right to remove OtherOS. I mean how often do you hear of Microsoft or Nintendo updating their console, but getting rid of features people loved? Sony had no right (and it's illegal) to look at people's IP from watching a YouTube video or getting personal information, but somehow they did.

As Stephen Colbert said in an episode: "They stuck their penis in a hornets nest."

markdgx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ShadowSoldier said:

Sony brought this upon themselves. Notice how nobody really messed with the PS3 at all really until recently? Because of the way Sony became this year.

They had no right to remove OtherOS. I mean how often do you hear of Microsoft or Nintendo updating their console, but getting rid of features people loved? Sony had no right (and it's illegal) to look at people's IP from watching a YouTube video or getting personal information, but somehow they did.

As Stephen Colbert said in an episode: "They stuck their penis in a hornets nest."
I do agree with you. Sony acted like they were God, and it was wrong.
But that doesn't give hackers the right to mess everything up for us gamers.
The way this whole situation turned out to be is just... I think childish is the word.
Both sides are just trying to show off how powerfull they are.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jorpor said:
I was not trying to say that it's 100% the hackers fault :')
It's just that people here are blaming it all on Sony, while it isn't 100% their fault either.
If hackers didn't mess with the system, none of this would have happened.
If the hackers who hacked the PS3 after the removal of OtherOS didn't hack the system, it would be a lot harder to hack the PSN(atleast, I suppose so).

But yeah, since people on this forum(including me) just won't bend their opinions, it's pretty useless to keep this discussion going.
The started messing around the PS3 and PSN security BECAUSE Sony removes OtherOS. Had they not done that, people wouldn't have had an interest in hacking it. And Sony didn't protect their shit enough. It is 100% their fault.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Regardless if they brought it upon themselves, they still should have better protected personal info. Espically a multi billion pound company like sony who should have known that with the amount of info they have on thier servers that it would be a jackpot to hack into

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jorpor said:
ShadowSoldier said:

I do agree with you. Sony acted like they were God, and it was wrong.
But that doesn't give hackers the right to mess everything up for us gamers.
The way this whole situation turned out to be is just... I think childish is the word.
Both sides are just trying to show off how powerfull they are.

Probably not. But again, Sony got away with a lot of illegal shit in the whole thing against Hotz. So how is that any different from this? They looked at our personal information, so the hackers looked at the personal information.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Sony had no right (and it's illegal) to look at people's IP from watching a YouTube video or getting personal information, but somehow they did.While it was a 100% bullshit move, it's not illegal.

It was Google who handed over the information, not Sony who 'obtained' it. And Google handed it over based on a court order (subpoena) for the information. It would have been illegal for Google to NOT hand it over.

QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Apr 26 2011, 06:29 PM) Probably not. But again, Sony got away with a lot of illegal shit in the whole thing against Hotz.
What exactly did Sony do that was illegal?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:
jorpor said:
Slyakin said:
I really would hate having to wait, and I would REALLY hate to have my information (like my credit cards) stolen by this. Fuck PSN.
You mean fuck the hackers.
Sony can't help this. I bet people will say: "Sony should have protected it better!",
but seriously, hackers can hack anything these days, so don't say this is Sony's fault.

In a way it is though.
If they stopped suing everyone they wouldn't be getting backlash from the community. Sony deserves everything they have been getting lately.

markdgx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pyrmon24 said:
The started messing around the PS3 and PSN security BECAUSE Sony removes OtherOS. Had they not done that, people wouldn't have had an interest in hacking it. And Sony didn't protect their shit enough. It is 100% their fault.
Sony removed OtherOS for security reasons, since I believe HACKERS found a way to hack it.
What would you do? Risk your console for being hacked and keep it, or remove it?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's what sony says, it was a security reasons. But we're talking about a company who knowingly installed rootkits on peoples computers when they popped a CD in, and then lied about it. Said they brought out a program, but they lied about the program getting rid of it too.

You can't trust Sony no more than you can trust a hacker.

QUOTE said:
It was Google who handed over the information, not Sony who 'obtained' it. And Google handed it over based on a court order (subpoena) for the information. It would have been illegal for Google to NOT hand it over.

I thought it was illegal no matter what, but yet Sony somehow convinced the judge to give the ok....

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Sony had no right (and it's illegal) to look at people's IP from watching a YouTube video or getting personal information, but somehow they did.While it was a 100% bullshit move, it's not illegal.

QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Apr 26 2011, 06:29 PM) Probably not. But again, Sony got away with a lot of illegal shit in the whole thing against Hotz.

Viewing IP addresses of everyone who watched/commented on a specific YouTube video.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BloodyFlame said:
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Viewing IP addresses of everyone who watched/commented on a specific YouTube video.
once again thats not illegal
and also its just an IP address, they can only see generic information about it (what state did it come from) they cant find your address, name, ect... from it

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
BloodyFlame said:
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:

and also its just an IP address, they can only see generic information about it (what state did it come from) they cant find your address, name, ect... from it

Yes, but they can find out your ISP, and get that info from your ISP.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
BloodyFlame said:
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:

They can do a reverse DNS on that IP address, and if you still use that address, then they will get your ISP, and in some cases your full name. I used to use a 3G broadband, and an IRC chatroom had my name, IP address, followed by the @ and the ISP I use. With that, they can get more about you than you realize.

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Rofl, you guys should blame these anonymous bastards, not Sony.

Anonymous was not behind this. They are, in no way, related to this. Also, Sony left much sensitive information unencrypted. I'm pretty sure the consumers can get pissed at Sony for this.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:

Uh, yeah they can. You'd be surprised what you can find out from an IP address (assuming it's a real one, which in all likely cases, it is).

QUOTE(WiiBricker @ Apr 26 2011, 02:40 PM) Rofl, you guys should blame these anonymous bastards, not Sony. And no, I'm not a Sony fanboy. I do not own a single Sony product.

Anonymous didn't do it. Please, go read the articles about this mess before you comment -__-

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BloodyFlame said:
WiiBricker said:
Rofl, you guys should blame these anonymous bastards, not Sony.

Anonymous was not behind this. They are, in no way, related to this. Also, Sony left much sensitive information unencrypted. I'm pretty sure the consumers can get pissed at Sony for this.
They might get pissed if they know about it. But so far, I haven't heard about this on Fox News, ABC News, or NBC News. I saw something on the CBS News website, but that was it. Nothing on the other major networks I know of. So the general public isn't being made aware about this. At least, most of the PS3 and PSP owners.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ShadowSoldier said:
Anonymous didn't do it. Please, go read the articles about this mess before you comment -__-

That's hilarious. Anonymous are anonymous groups, right? Who can surely tell that they are not behind this? Have you proof? Really I cant understand why people defend an anonymous group in the internet. All they have done is criminal activity and now people are blaming the victim of these criminial activities. Oh crazy world...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He wants to bone anything with a dick +1