WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Foxi4 said:
Emulators have nothing to do with pirated games. If you have the original, you can play it on as many emulators as you like. If you DON'T have the original, YOU are the criminal around here.

It's like saying that spoons should be outlawed because you can stab someone in the eye with one.

Then the same could be applied to any flash cart on the market. If you have the original, you can play it on as many flash carts as you like. If you DON'T have the original, YOU are the criminal around here. Right?

Oh wait, downloading games is illegal in most countries, it doesnt matter if you own the original or not
rolleyes.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since when downloading games is illegal in most countries? It's sharing them that's illegal, not downloading them.

Plus, if you have a game, you don't really need a flash cart, do you?

Don't use reverse psychology on me, you shall fail miserably.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Foxi4 said:
Emulators have nothing to do with pirated games. If you have the original, you can play it on as many emulators as you like. If you DON'T have the original, YOU are the criminal around here.

It's like saying that spoons should be outlawed because you can stab someone in the eye with one.

Then the same could be applied to any flash cart on the market. If you have the original, you can play it on as many flash carts as you like. If you DON'T have the original, YOU are the criminal around here. Right?

Oh wait, downloading games is illegal in most countries, it doesnt matter if you own the original or not
rolleyes.gif

I believe Foxi's point is that Nintendo is "attacking" the homebrew community by shutting down (or attempting to shut down) access to flashcarts in their system updates. Yeah, most flashcarts have ROM loading capabilities, but they're marketed as homebrew devices. There's like disclaimers saying to NOT use it for pirating games. But people do anyway.

I mean, I wouldn't say Nintendo has gone as far as Sony has in terms of preventing hacking, but to say they're best buddies with the homebrew community is far from reality.

QUOTE(Foxi4 @ Apr 23 2011, 10:37 PM)

From a practicality point of view, they definitely have their advantages. I can carry around a flashcart and store 20 games on it that, let's say, I legally own and dumped myself. That sure beats carrying around 20 carts. Of course there's also homebrew.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Foxi4 said:
Since when downloading games is illegal in most countries? It's sharing them that's illegal, not downloading them.

You sir have a serious issue
smileipb2.png
I let another person teach you. Bye.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:

Your logic just blew my mind O_O

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Guild McCommunist said:
WiiBricker said:
Foxi4 said:

rolleyes.gif

I believe Foxi's point is that Nintendo is "attacking" the homebrew community by shutting down (or attempting to shut down) access to flashcarts in their system updates. Yeah, most flashcarts have ROM loading capabilities, but they're marketed as homebrew devices. There's like disclaimers saying to NOT use it for pirating games. But people do anyway.

I mean, I wouldn't say Nintendo has gone as far as Sony has in terms of preventing hacking, but to say they're best buddies with the homebrew community is far from reality.

This 100%

For once, I agree with you completely. The end is nigh.

In all seriousness, every single company is going to get out of their way to stop the homebrew community. Unsigned code leads to too many possible problems. They don't want to fix your consoles that were bricked by faulty code, they don't want you running around in GOD Mode on multiplayer games, they don't want you to pirate games, they don't want you to expand the features of their console when they could just add those features in their next console and get more of your money. Simple, really.

EDIT: I'm glad I blew up a few minds. Cause, y'know. Carrying 20 carts is soooo hard. They're soooo heavy nowadays. I mean, you'd need a truck or something to carry your *20* games.

BUY A GODDAMN BAG.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:

Downloading them is illegal.

Look it up.

And people use flash carts in case the game is broken. Or at least, some people do.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Duskye said:
Foxi4 said:

Downloading them is illegal.

Look it up.

And people use flash carts in case the game is broken. Or at least, some people do.

Not here and not in most of the EU it's not. Only sharing copyrighted code is illegal, the person who commits the felony is the hoster, not the downloader. You look it up.

As you may or may not know, Poland is a country in the EU, not a state in the US. You can have your DMCA.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
WiiBricker said:
Foxi4 said:

rolleyes.gif

This 100%

For once, I agree with you completely. The end is nigh.

In all seriousness, every single company is going to get out of their way to stop the homebrew community. Unsigned code leads to too many possible problems. They don't want to fix your consoles that were bricked by faulty code, they don't want you running around in GOD Mode on multiplayer games, they don't want you to pirate games, they don't want you to expand the features of their console when they could just add those features in their next console and get more of your money. Simple, really.

EDIT: I'm glad I blew up a few minds. Cause, y'know. Carrying 20 carts is soooo hard. They're soooo heavy nowadays. I mean, you'd need a truck or something to carry your *20* games.

BUY A GODDAMN BAG.
If people want to put there games in flash carts, then that's there decision. It's a lot better than taking a bag full of 20 ds games.

I don't think many people would like that.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a sad day for PSN users when 'the good guys' screw you over.

IMHO, I honestly hope Sony hires a team of super hackers for NGP security. As much fun as PSP Homebrew and PS3 hacking is, I think the line has been crossed.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
...are you reffering to the ESA-Protected files, by any chance?
No. I looked up, it is illlegal to download games, on google, and that's what keeps coming up.

Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been half a week and I still haven't been able to activate my PS3/Steam cross-platform codes for my shiny new Portal 2... and I don't even own a PS3!
mad.gif

Sony fucked up big on this one, on the worst possible release week too.
mellow.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Duskye It pops up with so often because it's a popular misconception. The act of "downloading" is not illegal, it's the act of illegal distribution that's an offence. Unless there have been some major changes in law that I haven't heard of.

To clarify - if you have the original game and you "broke" the storage device you stored it on, you're free to download the exact same game (region and language included) because technically, you already own it.

Also, if you're downloading via Torrent, you're *unwillingly* but *still* distributing content.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
@Duskye It pops up with so often because it's a popular misconception. The act of "downloading" is not illegal, it's the act of illegal distribution that's an offence. Unless there have been some major changes in law that I haven't heard of.

To clarify - if you have the original game and you "broke" the storage device you stored it on, you're free to download the exact same game (region and language included) because technically, you already own it.
Not from what I hear from many people.

There was a similar thread where someone said that you could download the game if you own it.

People kept saying it's illegal to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2