DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think this move is also because of the PS3/PSP keys being found. If they let exact backwards compatibility exist then people would just fake-sign stuff and then you have homebrew (atleast in backwards compatibility mode).

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im quite hesitant even about the fact with redownloading previously bought games

what if you've already shared your account with 5 people .. that would be quite a mess now in it ?

.. why sony, why ?

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
There's always gonna come up a point when you've gotta move on and get with it.

BC was there from the start as a bonus, and only a bonus. Maybe through some smart 'one time UMD signing system' may work (so that each UMD can only be signed once and only once onto a person's PSN for digital download, thus preventing piracy to a degree), but since they're taking such leaps in next generation gaming, there's gotta be some cut backs.

ESPECIALLY since most of you will complain once UMD BC might be fully on the NGP because the price is too high. >_>

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NiGHtS said:

BC was there from the start as a bonus, and only a bonus. Maybe through some smart 'one time UMD signing system' may work (so that each UMD can only be signed once and only once onto a person's PSN for digital download, thus preventing piracy to a degree), but since they're taking such leaps in next generation gaming, there's gotta be some cut backs.

ESPECIALLY since most of you will complain once UMD BC might be fully on the NGP because the price is too high. >_>

Dude, people LOVE backwards compatibility. Sure it was in the launch models, but why take it out? There's a reason why Xbox 360/ 360 S, and Wii offer backwards compatibility, because people love it.

There's only one way that I can see this backwards compatibility appealing to a lot of people. If you have a game, you give a code on MediaGo or whatever, you get a digital download for that game. Or if you trade it into EB/GameStop or some other store, and they give you a free NGP version.

Making people pay all over again, it won't work. It didn't for the Go, so why should it work for the NGP?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
The NGP/PSP2 is not backwards compatible, it's getting a bunch of ports and emulated re-releases, a la the Wii.

I love the way this is a great thing when done by Sony.
I'm pretty sure they said something like download psp games you already bought can be transfer to the psp2 and played, sound like backwards compatible to me.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
ShadowSoldier said:
NiGHtS said:

Dude, people LOVE backwards compatibility. Sure it was in the launch models, but why take it out? There's a reason why Xbox 360/ 360 S, and Wii offer backwards compatibility, because people love it.

There's only one way that I can see this backwards compatibility appealing to a lot of people. If you have a game, you give a code on MediaGo or whatever, you get a digital download for that game. Or if you trade it into EB/GameStop or some other store, and they give you a free NGP version.

Making people pay all over again, it won't work. It didn't for the Go, so why should it work for the NGP?

Off topic: I hated how I had to buy all my UMD games again and take 3 days to download each one. Plus when hearing that the DSi doesn't support GBA anymore...
frown.gif

QUOTE(KingVamp @ Feb 3 2011, 10:37 AM)
I'm pretty sure they said something like download psp games you already bought can be transfer to the psp2 and played, sound like backwards compatible to me.

On topic: Downloaded psp games? like .iso? or would it be signed?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
cwstjdenobs said:
The NGP/PSP2 is not backwards compatible, it's getting a bunch of ports and emulated re-releases, a la the Wii.

Nope, a special version for the NGP to download is still a port, it's only BC if I can put the same game in the console and play it. The exact same one that worked on the last console. We can't do UMD and I really doubt you can put your memory stick in the NGP with PSP games on and play them.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arithmatics said:
On topic: Downloaded psp games? like .iso? or would it be signed?
Like psn/psp go downloads...

cwstjdenobs said:
KingVamp said:
QUOTE(cwstjdenobs @ Feb 3 2011, 04:33 AM) The NGP/PSP2 is not backwards compatible, it's getting a bunch of ports and emulated re-releases, a la the Wii.

Nope, a special version for the NGP to download is still a port, it's only BC if I can put the same game in the console and play it. The exact same one that worked on the last console. We can't do UMD and I really doubt you can put your memory stick in the NGP with PSP games on and play them.
Well at the end of the day, it will still seem like you are playing your old games on psp2, seem close enough...

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Well at the end of the day, it will still seem like you are playing your old games on psp2, seem close enough...

It'll be a good thing, especially for those who didn't own a PSP or early adopters who got rid due to lack of games in the first few years of the console. I've thought of grabbing another a couple of times but for the amount of games I'd have bought for it it would have been a waste of money. But sorry, having to re buy the games is not close enough, otherwise you could say the Wii is BC with the NES, SNES, and N64...

It's close enough for the 3 people who bought a Go and might get the downloads for free though. If it happens.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maz7006 said:
im quite hesitant even about the fact with redownloading previously bought games

what if you've already shared your account with 5 people .. that would be quite a mess now in it ?

.. why sony, why ?
that would be your own fault for doing something you're not supposed to.
it's your account, so you should only be using it on your own sony consoles.
if you decide to give it to other people, it's your problem.

cwstjdenobs: i doubt they will be manually re-building every single game from the ground up for a PSP2 release.
pretty sure it will be as little as a PSP2 signature added upon installing, or perhaps it will even accept the current PSP signatures so you CAN just stick in your PSP's memorystick(after activating PSN on it obviously)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
KingVamp said:

It'll be a good thing, especially for those who didn't own a PSP or early adopters who got rid due to lack of games in the first few years of the console. I've thought of grabbing another a couple of times but for the amount of games I'd have bought for it it would have been a waste of money. But sorry, having to re buy the games is not close enough, otherwise you could say the Wii is BC with the NES, SNES, and N64...

It's close enough for the 3 people who bought a Go and might get the downloads for free though. If it happens.
huh... What does that has to do with people transferring their old games?

I never said buy any thing...

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Stevetry said:
thanks Sony for making me waist money
Suck it.
You should be glad Sony is doing backwards compatibility at all.

PSP2 is next gen, not this gen.

Also if they did UMDs, the PSP2 would suck. The new format they are bringing is far superior than UMDs.

EDIT: and why people still use UMDs is beyond me. Enjoy your slow loading times, loud noises and crap battery life.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
5000+ yen down the drain to rebuy and download PSP games. Also, after the 2 PSP games that are coming this month and that'll be the end of my PSP purchases for the most part since nothing else I want is coming this year. At least I got some good PS classics like Front Mission 3 and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2.

The NGP better not have a bunch of VN ports, I don't like wading through those to get a proper game. Also, Gundam Extreme VS needs a port to the NGP, I want to play this badly.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be cool if they offered some kind of program where you could trade in your UMD's to a store, and then download games onto your card right then and there. Like, bring in God of War UMD, give it to employee, employee gives you a voucher to download that particular game right in store.

But this is cool too, I suppose.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Windaga said:
It'd be cool if they offered some kind of program where you could trade in your UMD's to a store, and then download games onto your card right then and there. Like, bring in God of War UMD, give it to employee, employee gives you a voucher to download that particular game right in store.

But this is cool too, I suppose.

I figure this would be the best solution tbh and hopefully Sony do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4