Hardware Specific set of keyboard keys randomly decide when it works.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone has any information about this, please share! :blink:

I'm going insane trying to figure out why, but randomly specific keys on my LAPTOP KEYBOARD keeps randomly... not working, Everytime i notice one isn't working, the other ones that usually don't work also, and is always the same exact keys. E-H-0-7-Return you get the idea. I'm constantly forced to use the on screen keyboard in very random times. (This took me 10 minutes to write) :ninja:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Barring the obvious check if num lock is on (though I would usually expect that to be on the right hand side of the keyboard) a replacement (or moving it to USB/bluetooth) is likely in your future.

Best case. The connector block came loose. That is a rather random combination (I usually expect them to be next to each other) but hey. They don't tend to come loose unless you have pulled it apart (put more ram in, clean out dust, new screen...) but is not impossible. Might someone have spilled something on it?
Is there anything under the keys (staples, rocks, fingernail clippings...) that might make them harder to press? Though I suppose you would have led with that.

Annoying case. Sometimes cleaning things can do where simply reseating. Most times not so much and it is pretty random how long it might work for.

To that end find either someone selling a replacement or a dead version of your model with the intact keyboard online. You may have to open it up to get the numbers of the back (most times keyboard replacement is keyboard replacement, unlike screens, is just a matter of laptop model and region -- don't get a Russian keyboard unless you want to paint over things or spend ages swapping out key covers).

Replacing keyboards varies massively. Sometimes it is an in and out with a few screws job, other times it is a nightmare. See if you can find a video of someone doing it.

There are some further things but I doubt it (broken connectors and what have you).

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Maybe you are triggering num lock or some kind of function key. Do the keys do anything at all when you press them? Have you tried plugging in an external keyboard to see if this is repeated on that?

Also give us the model of your laptop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU