Spyware/Adware/Virus/Trojan/Rootkit/Keylogger Removal Guide

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Are there any alternatives to F-Secure Backlight[the rootkit scanner/fsbl.exe]? It just crashes on windows 7 64 bit with a BEX error[DEP crash I believe], even when run as admin, and even when added to DEP exceptions[so it's effectively off for the app].

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah yes, I remember getting infected by one of those fake antivirus programs that block all .exe files. I had to use a different computer to access the internet, write a .reg file that restored exe's and running that just to be able to do a scan >_>

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice guide.

I work as a senior tech for my university and this guide is pretty informative. Very rarely, we have had mebroot/torpig infect a few computers within on the university network in which we had to boot into a linux environment to get rid of the infection in the MBR and then do a re-installation of windows to clean out any windows remnants. If all went well, the networking department can check to make sure all suspicious activity on the network has ceased and is no longer operable.

Even for personal use, I have used the live CD linked in this thread to get passed some nasty interferences into windows that would pop up preventing me from fixing in windows even in safe mode.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Yeah I made this guide to be helpful both to people who had infections, and for people looking to help those, by outlining stuff infections will do and ways to get around them. There's other stuff (such as making a new user account) that can provide temporary relief, usually enough to at least start some more removal steps.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Anybody know how to get rid of a google redirect virus? Well, not just google. Bing is also affected. Its bugging the hell out of me. I'm sure its just something hiding in my appdata (had something similar before I had to hit with a perma-delete program) but I don't for the life of me know. I can't nail down which site it redirects through or to because its different every time... Have run Avast Bootscan to no avail and have run MalwareBytes while in safe mode. Neither found it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Two possibilities.

[*]These are hard because they're often legit adware that come along with something else you installed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBMuxGZQb5M

Since they're technically legal and you gave whatever installer permission to install them, spyware scanners often won't remove them. Your best bet is to check the addons for each browser you use and remove any you don't recognize, delete your HOSTS file, make sure your computer isn't set to use DNS servers you don't recognize, and do a hijackthis log.

[*]There's also the possibility that it was an infection that logged into your router and changed the DNS server it's set to use (possible if the router is still using default login info).

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
My computer is the only one affected so it is not option 2.
As for option one this is most definitely NOT legit adware. THe sites are random and annoying as hell. I haven't installed anything dumb. THe only weird thing I've installed is get_iplayer.
edit: Also Youtube is playing up on me, not loading any content past basic text and a few pictures. Don't know if its related

Edit: One of the redirect sites is goingonearth.com once this is added to my search my search doesn't happen at all, redirecting to "msdn.microsoft.com"

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Like I said this isn't legit adware. I promise you. If it was I could find and uninstall it easily.
Main problem I'm having is all the removal instructions I find are for WIndows XP. I'm running WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Edit: Think I've fixed it. I deleted a .job file in the \WIndows\Tasks directory. It appears to always be a random name to cause confusion (everywhere tells to to look for something different). Probably best to delete from Linux to be sure its gone.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Malware Bytes returns clean. Don't have a log :S
As for Hijack THis
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 23:05:53, on 04/05/2011
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\BBC iPlayer Desktop\BBC iPlayer Desktop.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\PMB\PMBVolumeWatcher.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Care\listener.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\distnoted.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896" target="_blank">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896</a>
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" target="_blank">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157</a>
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896" target="_blank">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896</a>
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896" target="_blank">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896</a>
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" target="_blank">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157</a>
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAStorIcon] C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISBMgr.exe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Online Backup] C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PMBVolumeWatcher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\PMB\PMBVolumeWatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - S-1-5-21-2878719929-3952998556-2784194744-500 Startup: Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\SignalIslandUi.exe (User 'Administrator')
O4 - S-1-5-21-2878719929-3952998556-2784194744-500 User Startup: Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\SignalIslandUi.exe (User 'Administrator')
O4 - Startup: BBC iPlayer Desktop.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\BBC iPlayer Desktop\BBC iPlayer Desktop.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: TweetDeck.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\TweetDeck\TweetDeck.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Free YouTube Download - C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\DVDVideoSoftIEHelpers\freeyoutubedownload.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_96D6FF0C6D236BF8.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Add to Evernote - {E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E92528A6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote3.5\enbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Add to Evernote - {E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E92528A6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote3.5\enbar.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O23 - Service: ArcSoft Connect Daemon (ACDaemon) - ArcSoft Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Dragon Age: Origins - Content Updater (DAUpdaterSvc) - BioWare - C:\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age\bin_ship\DAUpdaterSvc.Service.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton Online Backup (NOBU) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuAgent.exe
O23 - Service: PMBDeviceInfoProvider - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\PMB\PMBDeviceInfoProvider.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Care Performance Service (SampleCollector) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Care\VCPerfService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media plus Content Importer (SOHCImp) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\SOHLib\SOHCImp.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media plus Digital Media Server (SOHDms) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\SOHLib\SOHDms.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media plus Device Searcher (SOHDs) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\SOHLib\SOHDs.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Common Service (SpfService) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\SPF\SpfService64.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0 (TurboBoost) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\TurboBoost.exe
O23 - Service: CamMonitor (uCamMonitor) - ArcSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\Magic-i Visual Effects 2\uCamMonitor.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Event Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\VAIO Event Service\VESMgr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Power Management - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Power Management\SPMService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Content Folder Watcher (VCFw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Content Folder Watcher\VCFw.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Content Metadata Intelligent Analyzing Manager (VcmIAlzMgr) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Analyzing Manager\VcmIAlzMgr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Content Metadata Intelligent Network Service Manager (VcmINSMgr) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Content Metadata XML Interface (VcmXmlIfHelper) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VcmXml\VcmXmlIfHelper64.exe
O23 - Service: VCService - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Care\VCService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: VSNService - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Smart Network\VSNService.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: VUAgent - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 5\VUAgent.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 13823 bytes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc