Starting games in USB Loader GX returns me to USBLoaderGX, Wii system menu won't load anymore either. All worked fine yesterday.

RobertBast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello and good day. I have softmodded several wii's now. All of them broke down eventually :( and I went through four wii's in a year...the current wii is nr. 5.

...anyway. This Wii worked fine up until today, and interestingly, shows the same issue I had with wii nr. 3... (nr. 4 got shorted when I reversed polarity on a car battery - it was running with a car plug adapter - it did *poof* :o :'( )

What I did was the following:
- I wanted to play Tony Hawk Shred with USBLoaderGX, skateboard controller did not work, googled and found a website that said that d2x v9 resolved the issue.
- Then I installed d2x-v9-beta(r49)FIX with base 56 rev 65535 into slot 248.
- I also re-installed d2x-v10-beta52 base 56 into slot 249, and installed d2x-v10-beta52 base 57 into slot 250.
I had d2x-v10-beta52 base 57 installed in slot 249 first. That was a suggestion I found on this site (suggested by cyan in one of his many helpful answers and tutorials...or did he suggest v8? I forgot. anyway read that v10-beta52 was also good to go with *somewhere*.).

After these cios installs I played/tested Tony Hawk Shred and Tony Hawk Ride. They both worked fine with the board controller on d2x-v9.
Then I shut off the console and unplugged its power cord.

Today, I returned to play a game.
Now, it does still load USBLoaderGX, still loads homebrew channel menu as well. It does no longer accept the wii controller, can't sync it either,
because the system menu no longer loads. It does not load any games anymore too, it blackscreens and after a short while it drops me back to USBLoaderGX.

I can still run homebrew channel and also I can get into priiloader, but attempts to boot bootmii fails; the disc drive slot starts flashing and the wii has to be powered off/on then.
The internet connection still gets enabled in the homebrew menu, which did not work anymore either on wii nr. 3.

My wii setup is as follows:
- System menu 4.3(E) with USBloaderGX channel forwarder wad.
- Homebrew Channel + BootMii as boot2.
- Priiloader + hacks enabled (turn off warning screen, block ios updates).
- d2x-v9 base 56, rev 65535 @ slot 248
- d2x-v10(beta 52) base 56, rev 65535 @ slot 249
- d2x-v10(beta 52) base 57, rev 65535 @ slot 250
- usbloadergx + nintendont + emulators for n64, snes (all latest release)
- Installed usbloadergx bootmii patch + in priiloader, installed uneoboot.dol & set to load installed file.
- installed Riiconnect stuff to re-enable a bunch of online channel functionality.
- Made backup from NAND with usbloadergx & configured to use emunand.
- Turned on option to use Wiimmfi for online gaming goodness.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? Does anyone recognize these symptons / issues? Can anybody help me?

In the meanwhile, I'll go and try to reinstall bootmii and put back the NAND backup (hopefully I did not forget to make one of this wii...there *is* a backup file on the sdcard but I cannot remember if that is a backup of this wii or the previous one...)

[edit 1]: Okay. The bootmii issue turned out to be the bootmii usbloadergx patch - renamed armboot.bin.bootrmii file back to armboot.bin and it ran fine again. The backup file however is from a different wii and I do not have a file for the current one.

[edit 2]: Added syscheck report:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v514)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 02.13.2007
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 76699999
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: Netherlands (94)
Boot2 v4
Found 65 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 14 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS248[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v9beta(r49)): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 01/09/2022.

Last edited by RobertBast,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope u didnt mix something up from vWii to Wii.

Best set all settings back including standart cios to basic and uninstall all unnessesary stuff. Then go step by step. If then you wii runs well again and gxloadet too (turn wii off, unplug etc, turn on again) u can go further.

Is the Wii Controller Original or fake, fake one have bad compatibility.

Whats with Slot 251? Did u tried changing the Loader IOS inside GX Loader? And U know u can give each game a different ios to start?

This is normaly the standart:
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Zugriff
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Zugriff
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Zugriff

Refering to this guide Wii cios alternativ:
Base 57 in Slot 249
Base 56 in Slot 250
Base 38 in Slot 251

Atm i didnt found something related to this: d2x-v9-beta(r49)FIX

By the way, there are tutorials where u could normaly follow easely. But if its the 4th Wii u shredderd... DONT DO IT!!!

Last edited by Sypherone,

RobertBast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, the broken wii's have little to do with b0rked softmodding attempts. That is not the problem. I followed the guides by the way and learned how to do this stuff the right way. I am sure that I did not mix up vWii stuff with Wii stuff.

This is how all of them died so far:
The first wii I destroyed myself. It could not handle the impact of an axe (I got very angry at it and then swung away with an axe on it - it was kind of very broken after that...)

The second wii I got from a friend, it got bricked after upgrading the system menu to 4.3. Did not even got a chance to softmod it.

The third wii updated perfectly and I could softmod it. It ran fine for a while, until one day, it suddenly refused to sync the controller, and then I could no longer boot into the system menu either. Tried to rescue it - could not get it to go into the sysmenu anymore, not even after reinstalling all wads related to the system menu and ios'es and stuff.

The fourth wii was hooked up to a car battery with a car plug - ya know, that fits into the cigarette port. Then one day I messed with the battery and accidently reversed the polarity on the connectors - that made the wii go *poof*. It did not even turn on anymore after that. Checked the net, discovered that the fuses that needed to be replaced were rather hard to replace (can't solder that well) and decided to buy the current one.

And yeah - it is an original controller.

And what do you mean with 'install all unnecesary stuff' - you mean, un-modding the wii? Or removing usbloadergx, hbc, bootmii, priiloader etc?

[edit]: I am sure that I did not mix up vWii or WiiU stuff because, I could still play a game after changing the cios'es yesterday. Up until I shut down the wii yesterday and the booting it up today I could play. Changing loader IOS does not do anything - same results in all cases.

[edit 2:] Also got wii nr. 3 out - the one with the similar problem. I shall try to uninstall all unnecesary stuff on that one first because it has *exactly* the same symptoms as nr. 5 and I shall try to use the revirginizing-your-wii guide that can be found on the net *somewhere*.

[edit 3:] But first I shall wait until some day next week and read the replies here in case the problem does not require such a drastic fix - because to be honest, I do not really feel like going through the trouble of revirginizing the wii.

[edit 4:] (but I did not wait and went on anyway since it did not seem such a daunting task after all)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ah OK, u do somethings the hardway.

Disable/uninstall everything that is not needed to run a softmoded Wii, like Riconnect, disable Wimmfi, turn warning screen on again. Use only recommended settings.

How u recognized, be sure everything is in the right place and is correct named.

And u cannot transfer or use a Nandbackup from on Wii on a another. For this there a tool needed Betwiin

Reactions: RobertBast

RobertBast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Status update:
I have attempted to replace the wii nand with a new one, as produced by the 'ohneschwanzenegger' tool. I tried using the betwiin tool, but it has some memory leak and kept filling my ram (I only have 2GiB ram) with python2.7 and could not get it to run decently with python3x; it kept spitting an error at me about str not being bytes. I did not feel like figuring out that error/learning python 3 stuff atm so I found another website with a nice tutorial for the other tool.

The good news, it flashed to my wii without a problem. The bad news: the problem persists. Then I remembered this information I once found on a wii bricks page - the symptoms this wii has can be caused by a defective bluetooth controller.

Luckily I have kept some spare parts from the other dead wii's - mainly, those small bluetooth/wifi controller addon cards. I shall go and attempt to replace the bluetooth controller of wii nr. 3.

The adventure continues!

Reactions: Sypherone

RobertBast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems that I did my homework right!

It was the little bluetooth card indeed. I replaced it - one of the old wii cards did not do anything, with the other in the 'press A to continue' screen appears; the wii boots through to the system menu again!

Now to put it back together again...*why did they put so many different screws in that thing anyway* -sigh-.

And then on to figuring out where to get *more* of these bluetooth cards.

But first sleep. It is almost half past midnight here now.
So far for this weeks Sunday afternoon gaming session...*sigh*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Overruled I'm a ghost
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Go with a custom BIOS chip. It can allow you to play games region free and re-enable Mil-CD support. They can also run debug executables from the Katana dev kit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    .exe does all that for free
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, The Dreamcast format is different to Windows executables. In this case, the main executable is "1ST_BOOT.BIN" and is either signed for a debug kit or retail console, and is usually scrambled.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but emulation station exists
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Some people prefer playing on the original hardware. DC emulation is not always accurate at that.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pretty decent for what it is
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Honestly, this ain't so bad, as long as you got the best specs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's running a 1080ti far from best lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even the deck can do dreamcast pretty well
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played all regions with either patching the games directly or a boot disk wasn't too hard even shrank some games to fit on normal CDRs lol that was a bit harder
    I play DC on my Pi 4 lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm pretty fixed on ordering a rog ally z1 extreme soon
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I can see why the game was made for 4:3 standard definition, some of the scenary cuts off midway.
    Honestly kind of shocked I cannot run Killer Instinct Gold.... I don't think it's a hardware issue I think the emulator is well all 4 I tried wouldn't go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm glad emulators have aspect ratio adjustment
    +1
    I should say I CAN run it... But 14 frames a second sucks lol
    I wish Kens ass to peck ratio was different lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish you'd stop licking my ass lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You guys should get a room.
    Yours has too many spikes :P
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol shadow the hedgehog is a bitch ass motherfucker https://youtu.be/EU4CbUoPBi4?feature=shared&t=1504
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol shadow the hedgehog is a bitch ass motherfucker...