Hacking StartPatchv4.0

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
fst312 said:
dun4cheap said:
The only reason I opted for StartPatch is that it can be completely removed without where preloader v29 cant at the moment.

i'm sure preloader .29 can be removed even though i don't want to.the way to remove it is probably the same way as the other preloaders hack remover i believe that is what it is called.

The way they say to remove it on the WiiBrew page for it (and the way i removed it once) is to extract a wad of the system menu (from mario kart or such) and just install that, this does the trick.

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured I would test the recovery mode, so I bought a mad cats wireless gamecube controller. I have it plugged in to port 1. I boot my Wii and hold Y down. The screen stays black and I see a 4.0 USA in the bottom right corner. What now, isn't it supposed to load up HBC which is in the propper spot on the SD card.

Any thoughts or info would be great. Thanks,

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
dun4cheap said:
I figured I would test the recovery mode, so I bought a mad cats wireless gamecube controller. I have it plugged in to port 1. I boot my Wii and hold Y down. The screen stays black and I see a 4.0 USA in the bottom right corner. What now, isn't it supposed to load up HBC which is in the propper spot on the SD card.

try to put the boot.dol for HBC in the Root of your sd card
smile.gif

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean the original boot.dol that runs from the Twilight hack, I already have that on the root of the sd card. Should I have a different one?

jd506

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dun4cheap said:

It allows you to boot directly into the disc loading channel.

You can use this to load a boot.dol on the root of your SD card by performing the Twilight Hack again.
Of course you would need a retail copy of Zelda:TP and the Twilight Hack save files installed on your Wii.

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, how are you supposed to load the Twilight Hack in 4.0. Installing SM 4.0 gets rid of the savegame file and you cannot copy it back over.

So I did put my original zelda disc in and it booted, but once again I am not sure this does us any good. Any thoughts?

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I am not sure where StartPatch really helps if you have a brick on SM4.0.

Is it me or am I missing the big picture. If we could run the Twilight Hack on 4.0 there would be a lot of happy campers.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would not help at all. one could patch the code that blocks this but it wouldn't matter because you have to be able to run Homebrew to create the patch....... Regardless you can recover from a semi brick on 4.0. It might require a mod chip to do so but it is doable. Preloader also helps to have installed.

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess I need to go preloader because it can load an app from the homebrew channel where StartPatch really is not helpfull at all as far as recovering from a bricked wii without a mod chip.

Thanks for the info, hopefully others will read this and realize that they are not really protected like many initially thought.

jd506

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dun4cheap said:
So I guess I need to go preloader because it can load an app from the homebrew channel where StartPatch really is not helpfull at all as far as recovering from a bricked wii without a mod chip.

Thanks for the info, hopefully others will read this and realize that they are not really protected like many initially thought.

There's no mention anywhere that StartPatch protects against bricks.
Under features, it says it enables the recovery menu, which it does.

You're misinformed.

"Others" choose this as an alternative way to skip disc update checks
without permanently scarring their Wii with Preloader.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
I have an orginal NTSC Wii with 4.0 system menu. I had this same exact problem before I installed Preloader 0.29, but it only happened on part 2 of the the VC region free patch. Everything else patched perfectly fine. I have since installed Preloader, and I tried to use the newest Startpatch to region free VC games on SD, but get "The patch section was not found in the DOL. Nothing to do." It sounds like the NTSC version has problems, and I have no idea if it's in the programming, or a conflict with something else.

Well...Preloader 0.29 replaces the system menu DOL. It's no wonder it can't find the part of the DOL to patch, it isn't there because preloader is.

caiweilian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi guys,

when chosen the following 2 options for patching, it keeps saying "The patch section was not found in the DOL. Nothing to do."

1. Patch region free 1/2
2. Patch region free 2/2

How to apply this patch? Since it keep saying nothing was found in the DOL... I need to region free my disc channel... I dont wish to use preloader...

FYI:
NTSC-U 4.0
WIIKEY 2
HBC
GECKO 1.9.0.1

PLEASE HELP ME...

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Features:
-------------------------------
Region free (Is this for Wii DVD direct disc loading)?

Region free channels (For wiiware/vc on wii channels)?

Region free channels sd card menu (For wiiware/vc region free when run from SD)?

skip update check

No health check

recovery menu press Y NGC-PAD 1rt port

Remove diag disc check

move disc channel

For autoboot game, install Recovery menu press Y NGC-PAD 1rt port and Remove diag disc check
-----------------------------

This is from the readme of startpatch 4.02 JPN. Do the hacks above really work? If yes, I will consider removing preloader since I can rely on bootmii now for brick protection. Also, can I choose which hacks can be applied?

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can choose which are applied. I can't confirm whether they all work (especially not for a Japanese Wii), but the two I use, Move Disc Channel and Skip Health Menu work. You can also load up StartPatch again to easily uninstall any patches you decide not to use, for the record.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
jhoff80 said:
Yes you can choose which are applied. I can't confirm whether they all work (especially not for a Japanese Wii), but the two I use, Move Disc Channel and Skip Health Menu work. You can also load up StartPatch again to easily uninstall any patches you decide not to use, for the record.

That's nice, could you test out these as well?

Region free channels (For wiiware/vc on wii channels)?
Region free channels sd card menu (For wiiware/vc region free when run from SD)?
skip update check

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Region free (Is this for Wii DVD direct disc loading)
Skip update check

==================

region free is for direct disc loading right? I don't want it to crash with my wiikey's region free feature
Does skip update check work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn jack must've came loose outside over all the weather and a tech can't come out until the...