Hacking Switch Banwaves Speculation Thread

How do you think Nintendo will implement Switch banwaves?

• They'll ban cheaters and pirates using cartridge dumps, but eShop dumps will be fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RHOPKINS13

Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, everybody here knows how the Switch homebrew scene has been buzzing lately. This is just a speculation thread, since nobody really knows what will happen until it does, but what are your views on how Nintendo will lay down bans on the Switch homebrew scene?

I'm sure that Nintendo has learned a lot from it's prior mistakes with the 3DS and the Wii U. Or have they?

I've seen threads with CDN downloaders for Switch, and they typically require you to dump a certificate from your Switch in order to use them. I haven't heard of anybody being banned for using one yet, but Nintendo could be making a list right now, based on whether you've tried to download a title that you haven't purchased, or if they find a way of distinguishing between traffic from a Switch and one of these tools.

We have seen lots of Switch Cartridges dumped from BBB online, can anybody verify whether or not the cartridges have private headers like the 3DS ones did? It would be kinda foolish if Nintendo didn't implement them. With the 3DS, you could take the private header from any cartridge and use it on other games, and as far as we know Nintendo never bothered to track which game was associated with each private header. They would ban you if they saw multiple copies of the same private header being used online simultaneously.

So with Switch, did Nintendo implement private headers, and if so do you think they learned from their mistakes and kept a cross reference list so that they'll know if you used the private header from one game to play another game online? If so, it's pretty safe to say anybody playing online using TX's Switch SX with public cartridge dumps will find themselves banned sooner or later.

With the 3DS, as far as we can tell Nintendo never kept a list of which games were legitimately installed on each console. Many people have played pirated CIAs online without being banned. As far as we can tell the banwaves that did happen were either from playing a title before it was released, or were from using homebrew CIAs with Title IDs that didn't match any legitimate software from Nintendo's catalog. Do you think Nintendo has fixed this with the Switch?

I have a theory that with the current hekate CFW for 5.0.2, Nintendo can't tell if you're using homebrew, they only see that you're in the photo album. I could be wrong about that though. Since Nintendo isn't going to develop a Virtual Console, I don't see them losing money in the eShop from people using RetroArch, so maybe they won't focus on bans for that.

So yeah, just a general speculation thread. Do you think Nintendo can detect whether you've been using homebrew? Or the presence of CFW? Do you think Nintendo will ban for homebrew, or just cheats and piracy? Or maybe they won't bother banning for piracy, since you'd still have to pay a yearly fee to play online anyway. Perhaps they'd rather get your subscription fee every year than nothing at all.

I don't think they're going to ban anyone for a while, except cheaters. I think they'll start compiling a large list of Switches caught playing pirated games, and maybe a month or so after a big game like Smash Bros. gets released, and they've caught all these pirates downloading, then they'll ban everyone on their list.

Last edited by RHOPKINS13,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most definitly they learned but ppl like me won't care bout online since you must pay to use it come september as for the ways of detection eshop is a given there's no common cert (ticket) like the 3ds i think it's per console and thus illegal eshop games can be detected easily as for dumps with private headers it maybe safe(r) than eshop as long as you don't share the header and only dump your games

Reactions: RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13

Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping a method comes out for dumping your own Switch cartridges, so I can dump all of mine and run them from microSD for convenience sake. I'm probably going to wait until a few months after Smash comes out to decide whether or not playing any dumps from online is worth the risk.

Reactions: Unknown77

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    pball79 @ pball79: I'm probably gonna stay here as well +1