Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I acquired a brand new Mario Red Bundle Switch. It's the Australian Version with the Odyssey Game Card in box so at least I have something to play if I keep it offline for now. It's has System Software 3.0.1 on it. It's definitely not a patched unit even if I haven't done the RCM hack yet on it. Should I buy a copy Bayonetta 2 to update to 4.0.1 offline so I can do the warm boot hack if/when it is released instead of buying the SX or R4i chips?

In my opinion you may as well update to at least 4.1.0 (you will burn game cartridge fuse if that's a concern to you). No point having a Switch if you can't play all the games you want.
To update for free you can use ChoiDujourNX.

I was in your position a few weeks back, I ended up doing this:
  1. backup up fresh NAND on 3.0.1 (without autorcm)
  2. updated to 4.1.0 exfat with ChoiDujourNX (but ended up burning fuses inc. gc fuse - my fault as I booted Hekate without sdcard in, this has been 'fixed' in hekate v4)
  3. backup fresh NAND on 4.1.0
  4. realised still many of the games/updates I wanted do not work with 4.1.0 anyway
  5. updated to 5.1.0 exfat with ChoiDujourNX (saved fuses this time by being careful)
  6. backup fresh NAND on 5.1.0 then afterwards used ChoiDujourNX to enable autorcm
  7. install any game/update/dlc I want and it just works
Overall I don't really care about blowing fuses as I can still boot to cfw, but it's best not to if you can.

Last edited by 877,

Omar2325

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I have a 5.0.2 clean backup NAND of my switch before I began with homebrew and installing nsp and all that stuff... The thing is I updated to 5.1.0 and didn't do another backup before going into homebrew. I read that from 5.0.2 to 5.1.0 fuses were not burned so I can restore my switch NAND with no problem. The question is: Is there any risk by "reupdating" to 5.1.0 from 5.0.2 even if I already been on 5.1.0?

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a 5.0.2 clean backup NAND of my switch before I began with homebrew and installing nsp and all that stuff... The thing is I updated to 5.1.0 and didn't do another backup before going into homebrew. I read that from 5.0.2 to 5.1.0 fuses were not burned so I can restore my switch NAND with no problem. The question is: Is there any risk by "reupdating" to 5.1.0 from 5.0.2 even if I already been on 5.1.0?

Depends on how you plan to update maybe, via official download or ChoiDujourNX?
Possibly downloading the update officially twice could be noticed but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Omar2325

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on how you plan to update maybe, via official download or ChoiDujourNX?
Possibly downloading the update officially twice could be noticed but I don't think anyone knows for sure.
If ChoiDujourNX is safer then I think I should use that, but by doing that the NAND isn't going to be a clean NAND and I was planning on doing another clean backup NAND on 5.1.0...

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If ChoiDujourNX is safer then I think I should use that, but by doing that the NAND isn't going to be a clean NAND and I was planning on doing another clean backup NAND on 5.1.0...

Should be clean unless you have autorcm installed, I would just run hekate v4 > cfw > choidujournx > reinstall 5.1.0 exfat (no autorcm/wipe system clean) > reboot into hekate v4 > tools > backup nand.

As clean as you will get I think..

Omar2325

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Should be clean unless you have autorcm installed, I would just run hekate v4 > cfw > choidujournx > reinstall 5.1.0 exfat (no autorcm/wipe system clean) > reboot into hekate v4 > tools > backup nand.

As clean as you will get I think..
got it! Thank you

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard someone say it wasn't before but wanted to confirm:
Is anything done in RCM-mode detectable/will flag a system for a ban?
E.g. Nand dumping, boot 0/1 dumping, Biskey derivation, etc.

My intentions are to purchase games with an unhacked switch on latest fw, and then extract NSPs (and latest fw) from there to install on my hacked system. And I wanted to know before-hand if this would flag the unhacked system.

I suppose this is also a good time to ask, do NSPs contain any console-specific info? As in if I were to use an NSP from system A on system B, would it flag both systems for a ban, or only system B since it's not from that system?

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard someone say it wasn't before but wanted to confirm:
Is anything done in RCM-mode detectable/will flag a system for a ban?
E.g. Nand dumping, boot 0/1 dumping, Biskey derivation, etc.

My intentions are to purchase games with an unhacked switch on latest fw, and then extract NSPs (and latest fw) from there to install on my hacked system. And I wanted to know before-hand if this would flag the unhacked system.

I suppose this is also a good time to ask, do NSPs contian any console-specific info? As in if I were to use an NSP from system A on system B, would it flag both systems for a ban, or only system B since it's not from that system?
RCM is ran before Horizon so nothing shouldn't be logged as far as we know. So doing something in RCM such as dumping the NAND theoretically cannot be detected by Nintendo.

For your second question, the ticket for legitimately installed .NSP files is console-specific and thus makes sharing .NSP files impossible without forging a new/fake ticket on another console. Other than that, .NSP files are identical across all Switch systems.

Reactions: 8BitWonder

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For your second question, the ticket for legitimately installed .NSP files is console-specific and thus makes sharing .NSP files impossible without forging a new/fake ticket on another console. Other than that, .NSP files are identical across all Switch systems.
Alright so if I understand this right; When installing an NSP to another system, it just disregards the original ticket since it's console-specific and generates a fake one to work with instead?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so if I understand this right; When installing an NSP to another system, it just disregards the original ticket since it's console-specific and generates a fake one to work with instead?
It depends if you dumped the ticket or not. Tinfoil has a tickets folder for you to install tickets in case you legitimately dumped them. If you don't have any tickets, Tinfoil won't install a ticket EXCEPT if you have ES patches running via a CFW (e.g. ReiNX) which installs a fake ticket for you to launch the game. However that fake ticket won't allow you to play the game online and throws an error code if you try.

Reactions: 8BitWonder

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends if you dumped the ticket or not. Tinfoil has a tickets folder for you to install tickets in case you legitimately dumped them. If you don't have any tickets, Tinfoil won't install a ticket EXCEPT if you have ES patches running via a CFW (e.g. ReiNX) which installs a fake ticket for you to launch the game. However that fake ticket won't allow you to play the game online and throws an error code if you try.
Awesome, thank you very much for the explanation.

Black ace

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I wanted to backup a save file so I can use a save editor on it(Monster Hunter specifically). I don't plan to use it for anything else but I've heard about recent CDN bans which may affect people who simply just launch homebrew.

So what I was going to do was:
-create a NAND backup
-use Checkpoint to backup my save and edit it
-import my save back
-restore my NAND backup before using homebrew
(all while being in flight mode)

Will I be safe from bans? (I know its always a risk when using homebrew but just wanted to check)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I wanted to backup a save file so I can use a save editor on it(Monster Hunter specifically). I don't plan to use it for anything else but I've heard about recent CDN bans which may affect people who simply just launch homebrew.

-create a NAND backup
-import my save back

Will I be safe from bans? (I know its always a risk when using homebrew but just wanted to check)

I would say there is a 0.1% chance they would ban you for doing so.

Reactions: Black ace

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

-create a NAND backup
-import my save back

Ok a question - where is the save on the console, if not in the NAND?
I'm assuming it's not in the NAND folders which are backed up as the above wouldn't work.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I want a clear answer into something: I've been away from the scene for about 4 months and apparently a lot thing have changed.
Is there ANY case of people being banned for using homebrew in CFW mode?

I'm not going to hack further than that, but I'm kinda afraid that Nintendo may be using their banhammer a little too harshly.

werneck14

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a clean Nand backup and now i'm using ReiNX with some loaded backup games stored at the SD card with tinfoil. If i want to restore the clean Nand backup without losing my configurations and games on ReiNX, can i just copy/backup the content from the sd card? Then, later if i want to restore ReiNX i just put the files on the sd to use ReiNX without needing to reinstall all games backup with tinfoil? Or should i do a second Nand Backup for CFW?

Hansel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With regards to staying offline to avoid a ban, I'm using sxos which has its own FTP, but there's also FTPD of course. Obviously to use that I'd have to enable wifi to use FTP, but that seems like asking for trouble... just wondering what others are doing there.

Also, and I'm just curious here, but I have a few games freshly installed and airplane mode is activated, yet when I boot those games they tell me there's an update available. How does it know that if there's no internet connection?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.