Hacking System resources increase coming for UWP programs this fall.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's really nothing "simple" about porting any emulator to UWP. It's hard work. That's why I have set up a bounty for the unfortunate soul that chooses to port Dolphin to Xbox One via UWP. When you throw up enough money you'd be surprised how fast people wanna get something done. https://gbatemp.net/threads/bounty-for-porting-dolphin-to-uwp.485397/

I think we can all agree that porting dosbox to uwp would be simpler than dolphin (not saying it would be simple, but simpler)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It would not run that great. The Xbox One (and even Scorpio) are processor limited for emulation like Gamecube/Wii
Dolphin cannot utilize all the cores, and the processor speed is not fast enough {1.75 GHz and is an older AMD so it will be slower than a 1.75GHz Intel processor for emulation}
that is why the uwp boost would be useful. 5gb cpu ram and all of the xbox one gpu is a great boost

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would not run that great. The Xbox One (and even Scorpio) are processor limited for emulation like Gamecube/Wii
Dolphin cannot utilize all the cores, and the processor speed is not fast enough {1.75 GHz and is an older AMD so it will be slower than a 1.75GHz Intel processor for emulation}

@driverdis The Xbox One is going to be getting a system update in a few weeks that will open the system up to using 6 Cores, 5GB of Ram and full access to the GPU. 6 Cores is plenty for Dolphin. All you need is a quad core and a mid-range GPU to run dolphin anyways. it more than fits the requirements

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@driverdis The Xbox One is going to be getting a system update in a few weeks that will open the system up to using 6 Cores, 5GB of Ram and full access to the GPU. 6 Cores is plenty for Dolphin. All you need is a quad core and a mid-range GPU to run dolphin anyways. it more than fits the requirements
yeah I do not know if there is any emulator that requires more than 4 gb cpu, it is usually the gpu that is the problem

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But we're never going to get Dolphin if we don't press for it
I know that, I am just saying that there are emulators that are also pretty important that need to get ported as well. and that starting with them is not as hard as porting dolphin. even libretro guys are still working on the dolphin emulator, let alone uwp port.

so imagine if a normal person tried it

Reactions: wiired24

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dolphin cant use 6 cores, only up to 3 (only 2 are used for CPU, 3rd can be used for sound). This is assuming that a game does not require single threaded emulation to run. The GPU stuff is nice but Dolphin will be CPU limited by it being an AMD 1.75GHz processor. The GPU and Ram will be fine for Dolphin no doubt but Dolphin likes to hit where it hurts the most (the CPU)

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that, I am just saying that there are emulators that are also pretty important that need to get ported as well. and that starting with them is not as hard as porting dolphin. even libretro guys are still working on the dolphin emulator, let alone uwp port.

so imagine if a normal person tried it

I'd love for those systems to be ported too dont get me wrong it's just right now for me my priority is on raising awareness in the hopes to encourage anyone to tackle porting Dolphin. I know it's not a task for the average joe. But that's why I've set up a bounty. Because if it were someone would have done it already lol

Reactions: DrkBeam and kingtut

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love for those systems to be ported too dont get me wrong it's just right now for me my priority is on raising awareness in the hopes to encourage anyone to tackle porting Dolphin. I know it's not a task for the average joe. But that's why I've set up a bounty. Because if it were someone would have done it already lol
if you are raising the money, then give it to anyone you want.

I just think that people would be scared to raise a bounty for something that sounds so tough.

Dolphin cant use 6 cores, only up to 3 (only 2 are used for CPU, 3rd can be used for sound). This is assuming that a game does not require single threaded emulation to run. The GPU stuff is nice but Dolphin will be CPU limited by it being an AMD 1.75GHz processor. The GPU and Ram will be fine for Dolphin no doubt but Dolphin likes to hit where it hurts the most (the CPU)

If I understand correctly, the 6 cores in here are xbox one cores, not the normal cpu cores. so essentially it acts like a 5 ram cpu core for pc. but @wiired24 could probably answer that better

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you are raising the money, then give it to anyone you want.

I just think that people would be scared to raise a bounty for something that sounds so tough.

If I understand correctly, the 6 cores in here are xbox one cores, not the normal cpu cores. so essentially it acts like a 5 ram cpu core for pc. but @wiired24 could probably answer that better

What @driverdis is saying is that due to the low clock speed (1.75 GHZ) some games may have trouble running on Dolphin. You can have a lot of cores in theory but if the clockspeed is low and the emulator uses the CPU heavily that can have a negative effect on performance

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What @driverdis is saying is that due to the low clock speed (1.75 GHZ) some games may have trouble running on Dolphin. You can have a lot of cores in theory but if the clockspeed is low and the emulator uses the CPU heavily that can have a negative effect on performance

wait isn't 5 gb ram is cpu?

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The tegra x1 could run dolphin at a decent speed, I wonder if the CPU of the xbox one could run the games at better speed

Reactions: wiired24

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So noob question, what is difference between DDR3 ram, and 1.75 GHZ cpu?

Also is that a uwp issue, or xbox one issue?

Addendum:

what does having 6 exclusive cores mean? the diagram says cpu under it

Last edited by kingtut,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow im surprised the xbox one has only 1.75 my shitty laptop has only 1.65 and this thing runs like shit

why did they do that? was it for cost or because they knew what they needed for games
this makes no sense to me though? how can it run triple A games if it cant run a gamecube emulator?

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this makes no sense to me though? how can it run triple A games if it cant run a gamecube emulator?
well emulating newer systems require more resources then the original console

but if microsoft can emulate the 360 and the original xbox through emulation why is it impossible for gamecube/wii idk

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My guess would be optimization. Some games use the GPU way more than the CPU

We won't know for sure the exact performance until it does get ported to Xbox One

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Multicore optimization and hardware specific optimization

unlike PCs, the Xbox One hardware is always the same so games can be optimized for just that hardware. also since the Xbox One is 8 Core, games can be scaled to use all 8 cores along with some GPU accelerated processing like OpenCL to distribute the load.

Hardware specific optimizations is the reason PS4 Pro has problems running some games better than the PS4, as they were built from the ground up around PS4 hardware and not the upgraded PS4 Pro hardware. I am sure the Xbox one X will have stuff like this happen on a game by game basis for a while.

Last edited by driverdis,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multicore optimization and hardware specific optimization

unlike PCs, the Xbox One hardware is always the same so games can be optimized for just that hardware. also since the Xbox One is 8 Core, games can be scaled to use all 8 cores along with some GPU accelerated processing like OpenCL to distribute the load.
can dolphin be obtimized to use multi cores? also the wii u can handle gamecube games via homebrew, why not xbox one? is the code already there in the wii u

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/o4zjzHyB-I0?si=U77XLBb-jVVqtWXz +2