ROM Hack Tales of Phantasia GBA Tilemaps ripped after 7 years of trying!

TwoSpikedHands

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, just wanted to give a little status update on some progress I've made on reverse engineering as I'm a tad bit excited :D
Today I have successfully decompressed and reverse engineered Tales of Phantasia GBA to the point where I can now load in my own custom maps!
Here's a little test map I made:
1714444532421.png

This map is essentially a copy of another map, modified, then placed into a section of free space to be loaded (for now) manually.
I eventually have plans to force the game to load it by itself without needing me to intervene, but that'll be at least a few weeks down the line since I have a new job.

I say this took 7 years because 7 years ago I posted on this forum and kinda gave up XD
Glad I came back to it!

Last edited by TwoSpikedHands,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey all, just wanted to give a little status update on some progress I've made on reverse engineering as I'm a tad bit excited :D
Today I have successfully decompressed and reverse engineered Tales of Phantasia GBA to the point where I can now load in my own custom maps!
Here's a little test map I made:
View attachment 434624
This map is essentially a copy of another map, modified, then placed into a section of free space to be loaded (for now) manually.
I eventually have plans to force the game to load it by itself without needing me to intervene, but that'll be at least a few weeks down the line since I have a new job.

I say this took 7 years because 7 years ago I posted on this forum and kinda gave up XD
Glad I came back to it!
Will thy knowledge be shared, perchance?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: ok