Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here I confirm its the extractor me the culprit has just tried the version without and everything works
Post automatically merged:

for those in 16.0.0 who want emuiibo take this one here while waiting for an official version
https://github.com/XorTroll/emuiibo/issues/229#issuecomment-1452767977
Final fix found for new users of emuiibo. Not having a folder /emuiibo/miis was also causing a crash (that you would never notice, unless you added a log.flag, and looked in your atmoshpere/crash_reports folder after a boot). It would just simply seem to not load (and say that emuiibo doesn't seem to be present...). Latest build (that will create this folder if you don't have it already, and you also do not need to delete your mii(s)) is in XoR's discord channel, if you like.

Also, I keep seeing the same thing over and over in this thread, while people give the correct answer: nx-ovlloader never needed an update, and does not cause any crashes. Tesla menu does (if not built with the latest libtesla). They are two different things, although ovlloader relies on being able to load tesla menu.

Last edited by urherenow,
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Final fix found for new users of emuiibo. Not having a folder /emuiibo/miis was also causing a crash (that you would never notice, unless you added a log.flag, and looked in your atmoshpere/crash_reports folder after a boot). It would just simply seem to not load (and say that emuiibo doesn't seem to be present...). Latest build (that will create this folder if you don't have it already, and you also do not need to delete your mii(s)) is in XoR's discord channel, if you like.

Also, I keep seeing the same thing over and over in this thread, while people give the correct answer: nx-ovlloader never needed an update, and does not cause any crashes. Tesla menu does (if not built with the latest libtesla). They are two different things, although ovlloader relies on being able to load tesla menu.
for nx-ovlloader never needed an update.

you have to stop the lies look and you will see that the folder has already been updated in the past for similar errors

Crash fix, Crash workaround, Memory overflow hotfix, ...

https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases

and the sysbot as some say functional and has not moved the latest version has even been updated to correct an error that appeared during a firmware of the switch the sysbot has not moved as far as I know with last so must have already been updated in the past despite what some say with a working sysbot

if only to correct the behavior with the latest libtesla or with a Memory overflow hotfix as it must have been the case in the past

I don't know if its the problem or not but since its has already had to be updated to correct errors it is still possible

so limiting yourself to a functional sysbot is not at all being a dev or a professional you have to check further to be sure that this is not the problem, especially if there is no explanation

if we were limited to functional then let's move on despite there being bugs or unexplainable errors the rockets would explode all the time in full flight and the banks would not be secure at all

I don't know if it's the folder, atmosphere or even the ovl the culprit but its much too easy to limit oneself to working so not him we would have games full of bugs with this mentality and none of the three would be responsible since they all work

edit:
some are starting to confirm that it's the folder the problem I don't know if it's the case or not to see not sure about the information

Information about the issue:

• It seems like this is specifically an nx-ovlloader compatability issue with 16.0.0, nx-ovlloader is the chainloader for Tesla overlay, this issue also occures when only Tesla overlay is present.

for the moment we can only wait for the problem, no matter where it comes, it may end up being solved at least i hope so

Last edited by silien3,
  • Love

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
no one knows what causes the edizon overlay crashes yet, but it is definitely not the number of cheats in the txt or intensive games , few cheats and games as small as Arcade Archives xxMB also crashes

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About atmosphere crash even with libtesla updated I have a theory, this is perhaps a generic HOS16 problem, I notice that I get crash when there are concurrent file system access.

River City Girls 2 crashed the atmosphere after load the tesla overlay when game is first loading with "please wait", even if there is no cheat file in contents.

but... there is workaround - don't open the tesla overlay when game is first loading and just wait until cutscene show up, so you can open tesla overlay safely.

I use tesla overlay to get TID and BID info to determine to find a right cheat.

Edit: I’m going to do clean installation of atmosphere today.
Can you confirm that this don't happen before HOS16?
Can you also pop up overlay other than tesla-menu to see if my theory about file system access might appear right? ( tesla-menu scan for .ovl file, if you already launch edizon-overlay before you start the game if my theory is right then it won't crash unless you exit edizon-overlay and end up back in tesla-menu during that loading screen.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, chill. Never needed an update for 16.0.0, is what I meant, and it doesn't. ovlloader isn't even built with libtesla, so no, it never required this particular fix (that tesla-menu, and anything ever built with libtesla needed). You should know WTF you're talking about before going on such a retarded rant and calling people liars.

• Love

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you confirm that this don't happen before HOS16?
I can't tell because I bought River City Girls 2 after updated to HOS16.

Can you also pop up overlay other than tesla-menu to see if my theory about file system access might appear right? ( tesla-menu scan for .ovl file, if you already launch edizon-overlay before you start the game if my theory is right then it won't crash unless you exit edizon-overlay and end up back in tesla-menu during that loading screen.
I only use tesla overlay for cheats and I can test with pop up overlay, but need to find one.

Not related to tesla overlay crash, money cheat causes this game to lag badly and for this reason, I don't use this cheat anymore. I'm wonder if not enough memory cause game to lags? That's remind me of Windows XP with 512 MB RAM that lagged Sims 2 when they ran out of memory and rely on virtual memory.

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dude, chill. Never needed an update for 16.0.0, is what I meant, and it doesn't. ovlloader isn't even built with libtesla, so no, it never required this particular fix (that tesla-menu, and anything ever built with libtesla needed). You should know WTF you're talking about before going on such a retarded rant and calling people liars.
the bold is the main points not the anger, you would have read you would have understood it you have to learn to read and obtain information that the dev of nx-ovlloader has already had to update to make an update work correctly tesla for libtesla which worked poorly before the update but had crashes

as I said somewhere in my post it may be the same bug but for 16.0.0 or an update of libtesla to fix since it had to be updated as already before and there has already been an update only to correct the operation of the latest libstela in the past

these are the descriptions of the nx-ovlloader updates so I am not inventing anything:
  • Before, libtesla exhausted service sessions which made qlaunch crash on firmwares lower than 9.0.0. nx-ovlloader now gracefully exits instead of making qlaunch crash. If you're using a firmware lower than 9.0.0, please update!
  • Support fix for libtesla 1.1.0

and as I have already said this may not be the problem but it is possible. I am thinking more of a memory leak the problem is to know where this leak comes from but I could be wrong about it and if there is a memory leak it can be either related to ovl or to nx-ovlloader see same atmosphere the devs will see where the problem comes from at least I hope

Last edited by silien3,

sheepwalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hi guys i'm still learning. i'm able to drag the ovl menu + edizon just like the tutorials. But the folder /switch/.overlays is in gray/light blue.. is it because i transfer those via ftpd ?
and also the folder atmosphere/contents/420000000007E51A keeps getting error, 'transfer incomplete'.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys i'm still learning. i'm able to drag the ovl menu + edizon just like the tutorials. But the folder /switch/.overlays is in gray/light blue.. is it because i transfer those via ftpd ?
and also the folder atmosphere/contents/420000000007E51A keeps getting error, 'transfer incomplete'.
It's grey because any folder with a "." in front of the name is treated as hidden on most things that aren't part of windows (like explorer.exe). FTP programs like filezilla don't like it when you try to transfer things directly from a zip, to some external place over ftp. Did you extract the zip first, then try to transfer the files? Did you try to delete the existing 420000000007E51A folder then transferring it over afterwards?

You may just want to use the MTP responder in DBI or nyx, and transfer over USB to avoid these headaches.

@silien3 again, you're quoting crap from way before firmware 16. Get with the program. I posted about the FW 16 problems with emuiibo. Nothing else. Those issues are solved in a test build, and while 1 thing had to do with the needed tweak to libtesla, there were a couple of other things that were found.

nefariouslegion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hoping someone can help me. I just updated my CFW switch to 16.0.0 and ofc updated Atmosphere, Hekate, sigpatches and Edizon. But the tesla menu isn't working for me. When I press the L+Down Dpad+Right Stick combo nothing opens. Nothing happens at all. Anyone know how to fix this?

nefariouslegion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
reading the later post, you need to update all your overlays.
Um how do I check which overlays need updating then? I'm not sure what other overlays are even installed on my switch lol

Here is what I have I think. I updated QuickNTP, ovlmenui and ovlEdiZon. The ldnmitm one doesn't have an update. But still the Tesla menu doesn't open at all
1678479000520.png

Got it working by creating a config file as instructed in this post https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-menu-not-working.608009/post-9958777

Last edited by nefariouslegion,

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's grey because any folder with a "." in front of the name is treated as hidden on most things that aren't part of windows (like explorer.exe). FTP programs like filezilla don't like it when you try to transfer things directly from a zip, to some external place over ftp. Did you extract the zip first, then try to transfer the files? Did you try to delete the existing 420000000007E51A folder then transferring it over afterwards?

You may just want to use the MTP responder in DBI or nyx, and transfer over USB to avoid these headaches.

@silien3 again, you're quoting crap from way before firmware 16. Get with the program. I posted about the FW 16 problems with emuiibo. Nothing else. Those issues are solved in a test build, and while 1 thing had to do with the needed tweak to libtesla, there were a couple of other things that were found.
we are talking about the random crashes of the tesla menu no emuibo and its correction to work on 16.0 or other ovl the ovl have already been corrected for 16.0 but random crashes still exist and its that the devs want to correct so either there is a correction to be made with its ovl or its the nx-ovlloader has to be corrected

what I site is what has been done there so comes from the devs themselves must
so nx-ovlloader can be in question as I already said unless you are superior to the dev but its arrogant

and as I have already said the crashes seem to be related to a memory leak I could be wrong but if that is the reason for the crashes as I have already said the nx-ovlloader has already been updated in the past to correct a memory leak and fix the behavior of libstela running so may be involved so learn to read and educate yourself

you don't want to understand but I'm not coming out of a vacuum and emuiibo must have seen its updated mii extractor to work correctly its exactly similar with nx-ovlloader a feature or other may be involved and must therefore be updated the devs will eventually find the real responsible whether it is nx-ovlloader or not

Last edited by silien3,

Jmdaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

sheepwalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

thanks ! I transfered again over USB and can open Tesla but only at the first time whenever after reboot. then nothing happens when i hold down L + Dpad down + right joy stick from anywhere.

update: this version works for me https://github.com/WerWolv/EdiZon/issues/185#issuecomment-1278105523

Last edited by sheepwalker,

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Again, nx-ovlloader doesn't use libtesla. AT. ALL. And hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years. It doesn't need an update.
it is impossible for you to understand you are impossible libtesla is not used it does not change the fact that it has already been updated to work with a list versionthe previous one already give the description of the nx-ovlloader update fix libstela 1.1.0 already prove with proof in the previous post so stop and in 3 years the behavior changes there may be as in the past as already said a check more or less linked to the firmware or there may be problematic behavior which is created again these are random crashes so everything technically works but there is a bug somewhere which creates a crash like with emuiibo and in the past there has already been a similar bug where the behavior had to be fixed via the nx -ovlloader, whether you like it or not, it's like that and it's fixed it's clearly stated in the descriptions of past nx-ovlloader updates

go to the description of the old patches if you don't want to believe me
https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases

Crash workaround
  • Before, libtesla exhausted service sessions which made qlaunch crash on firmwares lower than 9.0.0. nx-ovlloader now gracefully exits instead of making qlaunch crash. If you're using a firmware lower than 9.0.0, please update!

in its description it clearly says that its listela the culprit and that it was necessary to make a fix nx-ovlloader it may not be that currently but it is not impossible to have similar bugs since it has already had it in the past

obviously libstela is perhaps not responsible for the behavior of the firmware and the security which are in question since it has not been updated for a long time a security which crashes everything since it does not receive any response or on the contrary an erroneous answer therefore crash or a missing verification this description proves this possibility

Exit on unsupported versions again

• A check preventing Tesla from running (and crashing / causing issues) on firmwares bellow 9.0.0 went missing with the last release. This re-adds that check again. Thanks to @friedkeenan

so even if it is possible that it has nothing to do it remains possible that nx-ovlloader is the culprit

something that works does not necessarily work at 100/100 that's why the update exists again I don't know if it's his or not but its possible

Last edited by silien3,
  • Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3