Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
True or not, is not the point, is offensive. Because of the generalizaiton of the the term instead of specifiying who is like that. If it was a opinion, is fine, but is a generalization which falls into sterotyping.

"Americans Like to sue each other" Is not the same as "I think Americans like to sue each other" Or "There are some Americans that like to sue each other."

I know i am not one of these people even though i am American, and i know you aren't like that either. Because there is a majority of the percentage of people who do or would be that way, doesn't mean we are grouped together when we are innoncent enough. :teach:

I can't believe i turned this into a grammar lessons. I feel unpurified. :hateit:

Sorry if that was seen as offensive, that was not my intention at all. I could have worded it better. Obviously i don't think all people are like that. It does seem to be a big thing over there however, just like in the UK we have a massive problem with people aspiring to be on benefits, or having kids to get benefits. Obviously not all people are like that, however it's not like i don't know the country i live in doesn't have problems.

At work we sell we run en eCommerce website that sell's repair parts, now that we sell to America and are also on Ebay / Amazon America we have had change our insurance policies "in case we get sued" was the reason... that has almost happened too.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Illegal activites on Gamefaqs is basically just used for anything that's against the rules, but doesn't fit under the other catagories they have, rather than actually being illegal stuff.

I don't find the actual rules too terrible there. As above, there are plenty of forums where you can talk about rom hacking etc freely.

The main problem with the site is 100% the moderation team. It has and always will have awful moderation and inconsistent enforcement of the rules. Nothing will ever be done, because the mods simply hide behind "didn't get marked" when they can't be bothered/are playing favourites. Same with the awful mods, nothing will be done, as there is no where to take problems. If a mod is abusing stuff, other mods will see it and deal with it internally apparently. The mods can't even consistently enforce the rules, but are supposed to be trusted to police themselves.

Also the only real comeback users have is the contest system, which in theory should be fine, but 9/10, no matter how well reasoned your argument, the mods will just ignore it, not address any of it and just give you some nonsense answer.

The walkthroughs and game specific boards are still good though. Still the quickest place to ask for help on a specific game, especially older ones and the walkthroughs are far better than trying to find a video guide that doesn't have some bellend screaming over it on youtube.

True, I've been on GameFAQs since 2000 when I got my Dreamcast

I remember when CJayC himself talked about modding a Saturn, even mentioning such a thing now will get you modded if you are me or someone they've been modding for "illegal" activities for a long time
Funny thing is those posts about that guy openly admitting to buying repros are still up, despite being marked by me multiple times, at least they were up last time i checked

Reactions: Sir_Mix_A_Lot

mgman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stay away from the GameFAQs message boards. I agree with the other user here that the moderators are the biggest problem of that shit-hole, or the only problem. Every aspect of power abuse you can think of, it happens there. Stopped using the boards years back, but I had been there long time and have witnessed and experienced a lot of stupid shit at their hands. Blatant inconsistency in enforcing rules, enabling cyber-bullying by users they are friends with and even punishing the victims, ignoring most flagged messages if said messages come from much older users.

I got modded for censor-bypassing by writing ****. I tried contesting it because that isn't censor bypassing, he says it is, telling me to re-read the ToU and closes the appeal. Made a thread at the mod help forums about it and also why my post is gone but not another user's in the same thread with the exact same thing, ****. A different mod tells me they mostly look at flagged messages... and that it is NOT censor bypassing. When I cite the first mod and ask why then mine was deleted, the thread was deleted and I got a 3 point infraction for "trolling". I escalate it to a site support ticket about this mess and it's shut down as well, threatening to ban me if I keep bringing up the subject where I was "clearly wrong". I shit you not, this happened; and was the last straw for me. Lot of other irrational flags before this, too.

Some things I've seen happen:
-A video game reviewer for a web site got his thread about a game removed because the mods didn't believe his job position and thought he was pirating. He provided proof and, of course, they didn't care. They apparently did/do the same thing to other reviewers who get early copies. I'm trying to find his blog post.

-There was an MGS thread where EVERYONE crapped on the TC and nothing happened. Another guy intervenes on OP's behalf and tries answering the question; HE gets sanctioned.

Last edited by mgman,
Reactions: Sir_Mix_A_Lot

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh good old GameFAQS I remember using that site a lot with GameWinners(cookie for who remembers). I used to go there all the time but then slowly pricks from every corner of the world came and you can rarely get a straight answer anymore. The only cool places left are the retro gaming boreds and those tend to be dead.

mgman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh good old GameFAQS I remember using that site a lot with GameWinners(cookie for who remembers). I used to go there all the time but then slowly pricks from every corner of the world came and you can rarely get a straight answer anymore. The only cool places left are the retro gaming boreds and those tend to be dead.

I remember GameWinners :) Not sure if they have/had a forum, but I mainly used that place for the patch codes. I think that was one of a few places that were plagued by fake cheats due to the lack of submission moderation.

Reactions: SomecallmeBerto

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
The mod staff is openly harassing me there and nobody does anything to stop it.
Remember those video clips of those SNES to NES homebrew ports I got modded over? Now somebody else posted them in a topic, I marked their post and it's still up.

I JUST now got modded for illegal activities over this:

White Wolf Kiba posted...
Wii U emulation improves while N64 emulation is still utter trash and can't do basic graphical things making me unable to record gameplay of games I OWN, legally, in cartridge form :(

In a topic by a different user that asks the following:
What is the deal with emulation? This s*** is getting scary as hell now.

luigi33 2 hours ago#1
Wii U emulation has improved in the short amount of time that it existed at a rate far faster than PCSX2 or Dolphin.

What the hell is the deal here?

I've been openly harassed by the moderator staff there for years now and I want to bring this to light but nobody cares

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You strike me as the type of person to scream about how corrupt a cop is for pulling you over when a lot of other people are speeding too. Grow up.

Reactions: Engert

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol
Chary isn't even a moderator.
Moderator? Maybe, i wouldn't know. What i do know is her name is colored differently than mine, which mean she has more privlages than i do. Which is a fact, and that she has used click bait matrial. :P

For all i know there is others who can appear just as common as me but may secretly be able to access stuff like moderators can. ;)

Looks can be deceiving, Contributor could be anything, not just news, how would i know? I'm not one of them, so consipracy theroist is here. :ninja:

Reactions: CeeDee

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moderator? Maybe, i wouldn't know. What i do know is her name is colored differently than mine, which mean she has more privlages than i do. Which is a fact, and that she has used click bait matrial. :P

For all i know there is others who can appear just as common as me but may secretly be able to access stuff like moderators can. ;)

Looks can be deceiving, Contributor could be anything, not just news, how would i know? I'm not one of them, so consipracy theroist is here. :ninja:
No its all pretty clearly laid out for anyone to see here.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ex used to write guides for gamefaqs, she jumped off that sinking ship ages ago. Yea, the mods are corrupt, but I think the biggest shit hole forum in gaming is easily Resetera. You get banned for disagreeing there, lol. I don't get why people even join that forum, when posting is like walking on egg shells.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not as bad as Resetera and Neogaf.
I don't get why game devs even pay attention to those forums. They pretty much bitch about everything. On their forum, it would be easier to have a list of things that won't get you banned, since they seem to ban people over everything.

I wouldn't pay attention to/care able Reeesetera/Neogaf, if game devs didn't seem to think they speak for a lot of gamers.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamefaqs was an overall good site until they sold it. I remember when it launched with a small collection of guides it had no permission to use sourced from gaming dialup modem BBS that used to exist before the Internet became popular. I'll still use the site for FAQs. That's about it though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This thread is almost 3 years old now.

Oops! Didn't mean to bump an old post!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right... +1