The MIG Switch Thread

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have a couple of questions:
  • Let's say I have a base game and its matching initial data, and I have cert files from a donor game. I copy those files on the MIG Switch. Is it safe to update that game?
  • If the base game is game A, and the donor game is game B, how's the game recognized on your Switch when you go to check your game activity log? As A or B?
  • Can you reuse the same cert files from a donor game for two or more games? Or do cert files need to be unique? For example, if you have games A1, A2 and A3 sharing the same certs of the game B on the same MIG Switch card, will they work?

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple of questions:
  • Let's say I have a base game and its matching initial data, and I have cert files from a donor game. I copy those files on the MIG Switch. Is it safe to update that game?
  • If the base game is game A, and the donor game is game B, how's the game recognized on your Switch when you go to check your game activity log? As A or B?
  • Can you reuse the same cert files from a donor game for two or more games? Or do cert files need to be unique? For example, if you have games A1, A2 and A3 sharing the same certs of the game B on the same MIG Switch card, will they work?
1. No one knows for sure if it’s safe but nice been doing that so far without issue

2. The switch always recognizes as game A. This goes off the XCI and matching initial data file I believe. Either way doner game doesn’t show

3. You can use the same cert files with as many game as you want in theory there’s no risk until there’s multiple people using the same certs at the same time. Kinda like Xbox KVs if you’re familiar with those.

Still too new to know for certain if that’s safe but from my own experience at least it seems like it could be fine

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're lucky, my one of my OG release date switch is console ban, and can't update any games even legitimate carts. Good thing it doesnt need to be modded and can use custom firmware.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol I still can't get Mario Wonder to work on it, even with fully downloaded new XCIs and certs. Nintendo would be laughing at me right now. OH GOD I DON'T KNOW HOW!!! HOOOOOL. Ok, ok, .. I'm OK now! :)

anon730

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa! No kidding! This is some wild stuff going on between the mig switch & switch unlocked. I went back and checked my credit card statement in January, and realized the migswitch.store already charged my card for the mig switch. I thought they couldn't do that until they shipped out the product? I hope it wasn't a scam to steal preorder money and use smoke and mirrors to distract us from the cards not being shipped out 3 months after taking payment upfront.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol I still can't get Mario Wonder to work on it, even with fully downloaded new XCIs and certs. Nintendo would be laughing at me right now. OH GOD I DON'T KNOW HOW!!! HOOOOOL. Ok, ok, .. I'm OK now! :)
Yo can’t use downloaded XCIs unless they have matching data..this was mentioned already that’s why it’s not working

Last edited by TheStonedModder,

Gamerjin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know but supposedly where I got this new data set from is matching data. Also the rom is split. I wonder if I can concatenate the rom back together and try again idk..
quoted from the site:
Mig Switch also supports split XCI format as dumped by nxdumptool when dumping to microSD. A split XCI is a .xci folder, containing sequential files 00, 01, and so on. The BIN files must not be placed next to the sequential files as they will be ignored.

Examples:
  • "/XXX.xci" (folder)
  • "/XXX.xci/00" (file)
  • "/XXX.xci/01" (file)
  • "/XXX (Certificate).bin"
Or from a subdirectory:
  • "/A.xci/XXX.xci" (folder)
  • "/A.xci/XXX.xci/00" (file)
  • "/A.xci/XXX.xci/01" (file)
  • "/A.xci/XXX" (Certificate).bin"

javakiko

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, can someone please clarify things for me. I got a MIG and need help with it.

From what I understand:
Only XCI can be played. (I can source these.)
For the game to work, 2 files are needed: InitialData and Certificate

IntialData:
This is unique to the GAME and not the CART. Does this mean any InitialData file for that game would be fine? If I have access to an atmosphere switch (not directly but I know people who have them), can this be dumped through atmosphere from an NSP?

Certificate:
This is unique to both the GAME and the CART. This can have a "donor" used - a cert that is not for that game. I am considering buying the cheapest switch cart, dumping these using an aforementioned ^ modded switch, and getting rid of the cart I used (as more than 1 person using it will likely lead to ban etc).

I currently have the setup required on the MIG SD card:
Folder.xci/
-game.xci
-game (initial data).bin
-game (certificate).bin

I get the green light on the MIG when plugging in which means ROM has been found, however it does not load and I get "Game cart cannot be read" error on the switch popup. Likely because the initialdata.bin does not match the game I am trying to load.

TL;DR:
Can InitialData.bin be dumped from an installed NSP if on an atmosphere switch and will that work with an XCI on MIG setup?
If an .xci has been trimmed it won't work, i've tried re-adding the "padding data" without success, only the initial data has to match the game, the certificate just has have the same name, I also came across .xci's that were converted from nsp's, they won't work either.

Reactions: Blythe93

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: BigOnYa

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies