Firmware The next 3DS firmware update will introduce DLC

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
does anyone actually think dlc has improved gaming? this is awful

Let's say I'm a game designer. I make a game, and when I finish, I decide to leave space for DLC just in case. The game launches and everyone enjoys it.

Now imagine that I came up with an idea that I didn't during the development. Its a great idea to expand and enhance the gaming experience. Having DLC around is good for things like this; you can add extra stuff that you didn't think up before.

Your right that they can include DLC that they've come up with since the release of the game but game companys arnt as "honest" as that and we all know it
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-most-insulting-things-video-games-charged-money-for/

Games are made we DLC in mind now and the ones that arnt are going to relax knowing that if they dont get all the ideas now, they can just release the game now and add it on later at a steep cost. I would rather go back to the days when DLC didnt exsist on console games and any ideas game companys come up with for their game can be included in the follow up game, not added as an after thought for a game thats already out.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLC sux how about some actual games Ninty? Whens the 3D recording coming?
In the same update as the dlc >.>
Don't see what all the hate for dlc is for. They didn't have it b4 and people complained about it, now they are finally going to give the opportunity for developers to use dlc and everybody bitches.

TheZoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Those aren't DLCs. The costumes are already in the game cartridge, they're just unlocked when certain conditions are met (including spotpass/streetpass).
That's not true at all. If it were then why does the data get saved to the SD card and not to the cartridge itself? It downloads the extra data to the SD card when you have access to a the internet on your 3DS.

I got 2 3DS here with me right now, and I can assure you that everything that's unlocked on one of the 3DS appears on the other, at least for DoA: D :)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. But when are we gonna get it? I've been waiting for the "next big update" for this unfinished piece of hardware since the web browser was released. Come on, we don't even have any 3DS ware yet. They're selling us old rehashes of shit DSi ware.
They wont be referring to it as 3DS ware, and there is - the 3D Classics are not VC, and there's Let's Golf 3D, Pyramids, and Freakyforms.
oh, and they aren't rehashes of DSi ware, they're the same downloads they always were.
3D classics. Theres what, two? Excite Bike, That game that I want to call Arkanoid (but I know it isn't). Then there's "Let's Golf! 3D", right? The 3D classics are 3D remakes of older games, am I right?

And the system has been out how long?

As for them being the exact same game as they were for the DSi, not rehashes - my point exactly. And it seems like a large quantity of the ones on there are complete and utter shit.

In the end, early adopters get a system that has an internet browser button that does nothing except say "oh yeah we'll add this later". Now, this far in, there is a 3DS system transfer button that STILL says "yeah, we'll add this later too". Don't get me wrong, I do quite like my 3DS. But seriously. This console is nearing being a year old and there are still pieces that are missing from it; online distribution SUCKS; physical design flaws; still not a fantastic library of physical titles (though it is getting better).

I digress. I am taking away from the actual point of this topic.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those aren't DLCs. The costumes are already in the game cartridge, they're just unlocked when certain conditions are met (including spotpass/streetpass).
That's not true at all. If it were then why does the data get saved to the SD card and not to the cartridge itself? It downloads the extra data to the SD card when you have access to a the internet on your 3DS.

I got 2 3DS here with me right now, and I can assure you that everything that's unlocked on one of the 3DS appears on the other, at least for DoA: D :)
yes, but those are the costumes you unlocked while playing the game...there are a ton of download costumes and challenges that are only available to download on specific dates not by completing specific tasks.

That's why there is a separate folder on the SD card for DoA:D

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone actually think dlc has improved gaming? this is awful

Let's say I'm a game designer. I make a game, and when I finish, I decide to leave space for DLC just in case. The game launches and everyone enjoys it.

Now imagine that I came up with an idea that I didn't during the development. Its a great idea to expand and enhance the gaming experience. Having DLC around is good for things like this; you can add extra stuff that you didn't think up before.

Your right that they can include DLC that they've come up with since the release of the game but game companys arnt as "honest" as that and we all know it .

Games are made we DLC in mind now and the ones that arnt are going to relax knowing that if they dont get all the ideas now, they can just release the game now and add it on later at a steep cost. I would rather go back to the days when DLC didnt exsist on console games and any ideas game companys come up with for their game can be included in the follow up game, not added as an after thought for a game thats already out.

It's gamers like you, who allow Capcom to get away with rereleasing a game half a dozen times.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
well done nintendo, we already get enough problems with game developers ripping us off with day 1 dlc and charging us for the privilege to pay for stuff that is intentionally locked out on the disc, now game devs can rip us off on the 3ds too, i will be very wary as to what games i buy on the 3DS now, i will probably only buy 1st party titles on the 3DS and nothing more, just you watch how abused this will get when the next pokemon game comes out.

unlocking things in games by simply completing it will be a thing of the past now.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting development. It'll be interesting to see where they take this.

Just a quick question: Would anyone know what kind of DLC can the 3DS reallty support with its infrastructure?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Interesting development. It'll be interesting to see where they take this.

Just a quick question: Would anyone know what kind of DLC can the 3DS reallty support with its infrastructure?

"all of that is up to their imagination." We won't know what they can do until they do it.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fucking hate DLC. DLC IMO should only be acceptable on a game you paid $0.99 for. Not $20-$40.

EDIT: Plus, if I understand the 3DS and how it would go about DLC, it'll be a purposely locked part of the game you'll have to fork more money over for in exchange for a piece of "yeah, the sucker actually bought it" data that tells the 3DS game its there and unlocks that bit of the game. So, in actuality you're paying full price for part of a game.

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if thats not how its worked up till now why would that be how it is ALL OF A SUDDEN. sure some companies abuse dlc (like arkham city HEY PAY US FOR CATWOMAN) but not ALL of it is bad, Id rather pay five to ten for some new levels than 40

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I fucking hate DLC. DLC IMO should only be acceptable on a game you paid $0.99 for. Not $20-$40.

EDIT: Plus, if I understand the 3DS and how it would go about DLC, it'll be a purposely locked part of the game you'll have to fork more money over for in exchange for a piece of "yeah, the sucker actually bought it" data that tells the 3DS game its there and unlocks that bit of the game. So, in actuality you're paying full price for part of a game.

As mentioned, Nintendo will not go this route with their DLC. 3rd party might, but that's something that's already been done. Besides, you pick and choose what games you want anyways (and check reviews to ensure you aren't being screwed over). Maybe Nintendo will up the ante and prevent abuse of this kind from any developer for their system.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As mentioned, Nintendo will not go this route with their DLC. 3rd party might, but that's something that's already been done. Besides, you pick and choose what games you want anyways (and check reviews to ensure you aren't being screwed over). Maybe Nintendo will up the ante and prevent abuse of this kind from any developer for their system.

If I had a penny for every review that was complete and utter shit.... :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, whats maga?